Gaming Slow Internet is Slower than Normal.

Necoconeco

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use a mobile phone for USB tethering for my PC's internet.

Normally my interent speeds are rougly 20-60 kb/s day and 110-120 kb/s at night.
Fast enough to watch youtube clips or Hulu videos.

All day today since last night its been 3-7 kb/s.

What changed? How do I fix eet?

Necoconeco

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it means anything. I ran speedtest on my pc with tethering reading 5kb/s

i ran the speedtest app on the phone itself (while still connected to the pc) and it got 65 kbp/s

mehrab2603

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
many ISPs offering unlimited plans don't really provide unlimited bandwith.Most of them use 'Fair Usage Policy'.You should check if your ISP uses that.

Necoconeco

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mehrab2603 said:
many ISPs offering unlimited plans don't really provide unlimited bandwith.Most of them use 'Fair Usage Policy'.You should check if your ISP uses that.
How does that explain why the phone still gets 10 times the speed the computer gets?

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Necoconeco said:
mehrab2603 said:
How does that explain why the phone still gets 10 times the speed the computer gets?
Do you have any way of using the internet without tethering? Try it to see if it's a virus or something on your computer.
Otherwise, I believe the poster above me has the most likely answer.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet... but perhaps for some reason (like signal maybe) you're no longer connected to the 3G network, but instead to the EDGE network? EDGE (or 2G) is roughly half the speed of 3G, and this seems to fit that bill.

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Internet plans which are advertised as unlimited, are usually just some massive amount like 300gb.
But i doubt that you used that much!

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Internet plans advertised as unlimited usually are unlimited - letting you download as much as you like. The catch is typically a "fair usage scheme", which will slow you down if you download a certain amount, or a "peak time scheme" which will slow you down at certain times.

Mobile internet plans are typically much more limited than commercial broadband plans (e.g. my T-Mobile plan has a 5GB a month limit, although I've never managed to hit that limit so far). I don't know about America, but in the UK there is no such thing as "unlimited" mobile internet plans.

Necoconeco

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I put my phone in airplane mode for like 2 minutes then turned the service back on. That seemed to do the trick. I guess the problem wasn't the service but the phone?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1