SLI GTX460s with DIFFERENT Manufacturers?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by jonthedit, Nov 3, 2015.

1. jonthedit
    OP

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    I am currently on a NVIDIA GTX460 [ASUS].
    I have an opportunity to grab a GTX460 [EVGA] for $25.
    My main concern is that I read online that EVGA underclocked the GTX slightly, though EVGA apparently pushed out some VBIOS patches to bump up the clockspeed after purchasers complained.

Is it possible to SLI both of these cards despite the different manufacturers- or do the cards have to be IDENTICAL?

Ignoring that bit about the underclock- if clockspeed was the same, would this be possible, or are the identifiers related to the manufacturer and this would prevent SLI?

Is the performance boost even worth considering SLI?
    I have read that two 460s are [slightly less than] equivalent to a 760 (though in bench marking, a 580)

Last edited by jonthedit, Nov 3, 2015
  2. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    I assume you have a decent psu? (seems 600w min from a good quality mfg)

afaik, they dont have to be the same exact card, you should though since this will get rid of any compatibility problems

jonthedit likes this.
  3. jonthedit
    OP

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    Yes, PSU can handle it, so I can do this. The $25 seems like a decent deal, I will be allowed to test it out for a week before purchase, so I can test out if everything works or not.

4. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    As far as I remember, SLI needs your cards to be EXACTLY the same. Also, make sure your mobo is SLI compatible (really, a friend of mine bought two GTX760s only to remember that he had an useless mobo).

Last edited by raystriker, Nov 3, 2015
    jonthedit likes this.