Gaming Skyward Sword with Classic Controls

Do You Want Traditional Controls with Skyward?

• Yes!

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • No! It's perfect as is!

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Please go F* yourself.

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeezTits

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible? Is there a way to force classic controls, pro controls, GC pad controls? Wii or vWii.

Thanks, in advance.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as people are gonna give you hell for this, I've been really interested in this option for many many titles.

As far as I can tell, each individual game needs to be basically hacked to hell to let this happen, but it would be nice if some of these USB loaders looked into some kind of system wide hack that would emulate wiimotes from other inputs.

Reactions: BORTZ and DeezTits

The_Hulkster

Trophies
XP
Country
It's one of the main reasons why I think the game isn't very good.

I don't own a MotionPlus Wii remote but I do have the add-on for one of my regular Wii remotes.
Not sure how accurate the MotionPlus remote is but the add-on is not very accurate
It also requires the player to make all sorts unnecessary movements and gestures, just to show how important the MotionPlus is.

Didn't finish the game as it just felt silly and a waste of time. Didn't even finish the first temple.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had no problems with the motion controls. I know they aren't ideal for a lot of people. But those that complained that the game was unplayable, were fools, as it not only was very playable, it was one of the best implementations of motion control on the Wii (along with Resident Evil 4 and Silent Hills Shattered Memories), I had no trouble beating it whatsoever. Loved the game, considering playing it again as I wait for the new Wii U Zelda title.

chairsgotoschool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I didn't mind the motion controls it would be nice. I always wondered if it would be possible to make a microcontroller mimic the controls to be mapped to a joystick.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I didn't mind the motion controls it would be nice. I always wondered if it would be possible to make a microcontroller mimic the controls to be mapped to a joystick.
Of course it's possible. The real question is if anyone with the know-how cares to do it. Personally, I have other things I'd rather spend my time on.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Isn't it possible to play the game with a traditional controller via the Dolphin emulator? I never really liked games that make use of motion controls except for Wii Sports and Nintendo Land's Zelda Battle Quest.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Isn't it possible to play the game with a traditional controller via the Dolphin emulator? I never really liked games that make use of motion controls except for Wii Sports and Nintendo Land's Zelda Battle Quest.

Currently no, someone would have to make a software "shim" between reading inputs from a traditional controller, simulating the appropriate MotionPlus data, and forwarding that to Dolphin. AFAIK such a thing doesn't exist and likely would take some time to develop and would be only useful for one game. So it's very unlikely anything like it will come out.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Making this game work with traditional controllers would require a lot of adaptation. Unlike Twilight Princess this game was made with motion controllers in mind from the very beginning... In this game most of the actions rely on the wiimote position to work, like enemies that require being attacked from a specific angle or items that need a specific movement. If it can be even done, it wouldn't be able to rely on buttons to make actions, my guess would be heavy use of an analog pad which wouldn't be ideal for "traditional" controls

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There was once a version of Dolphin that allowed to map stuff from Motion Plus to an X360 gamepad. Simply saying, it was a clusterfuck. It needed constant changes in settings, depending on what was happening (as different as one settings for sword combat, another for bow aiming, etc.). It was possible, but trying to finish this game that way would require one hell of patience.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Making this game work with traditional controllers would require a lot of adaptation. Unlike Twilight Princess this game was made with motion controllers in mind from the very beginning... In this game most of the actions rely on the wiimote position to work, like enemies that require being attacked from a specific angle or items that need a specific movement. If it can be even done, it wouldn't be able to rely on buttons to make actions, my guess would be heavy use of an analog pad which wouldn't be ideal for "traditional" controls

Well, for TP there's always the NGC version which uses the traditional controller.

I'd bet that Nintendo could make SS work with a traditional controller but they most likely will never do such thing.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'd bet that Nintendo could make SS work with a traditional controller but they most likely will never do such thing.

I kinda could see Skyward Sword coming to the New 3DS, though. There's no shortage of Zelda remakes for the 3DS (OoT 3D, ALBW, MM 3D) and if the New 3DS can handle a game like Xenoblade Chronicles, surely Skyward Sword can perform equally well within reasonable limits. Maybe the controls could be adapted as such to make use of the touch screen (for aiming) and the gameplay altered such that strike direction isn't as important (which is the only reason why the original was "hard" due to the controls).

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When the WiiRD forums were still up somebody had made progress in getting the sword controls to map to the right analog stick of a classic controller. However, they ran into some problem and stopped working on it.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I kinda could see Skyward Sword coming to the New 3DS, though. There's no shortage of Zelda remakes for the 3DS (OoT 3D, ALBW, MM 3D) and if the New 3DS can handle a game like Xenoblade Chronicles, surely Skyward Sword can perform equally well within reasonable limits. Maybe the controls could be adapted as such to make use of the touch screen (for aiming) and the gameplay altered such that strike direction isn't as important (which is the only reason why the original was "hard" due to the controls).

With the 3DS having so many Zelda remakes it's pretty much the ideal gaming system for the Zelda fans to go with and considering Nintendo's bringing Xenoblade to 3DS I wouldn't be surprised if Zelda SS was also another 3DS Zelda remake.

Reactions: DeezTits

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
But frankly I don't think Skyward Sword would be any fun without the wiimote plus. The motion controls are what make the game what it is... Can you play Duck Hunt without the Zapper? Can you play WarioWare Twisted without tilting your game boy advance? Sure, you can but everyone who played these games will tell you that you're missing all the fun if you don't play the way they were intended... You'll be fooling yourself thinking you're playing football with your hands, but you're actually playing handball.

If you take motion controls away from Skyward Sword all you're left with is a mediocre Zelda that is too linear and have a world so small that requires backtracking the same areas like 3/4 times... My opinion is that if you don't like the motion controls in this game, you don't like the game itself and no amount of modding is going to change that. But I disgress :P

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
If you take motion controls away from Skyward Sword all you're left with is a mediocre Zelda that is too linear and have a world so small that requires backtracking the same areas like 3/4 times...
Why would that be any different with or without motion controls? I don't think controls alone make the game any better on its own, e.g. compare Twilight Princess on GameCube vs. Wii.

DeezTits

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But frankly I don't think Skyward Sword would be any fun without the wiimote plus...
If you take motion controls away from Skyward Sword all you're left with is a mediocre Zelda that is too linear and have a world so small that requires backtracking the same areas like 3/4 times...

Why would that be any different with or without motion controls? I don't think controls alone make the game any better on its own, e.g. compare Twilight Princess on GameCube vs. Wii.

Hm. Barring the controls, how does SS stack up against, say, Ocarina or WW? -- If it's a mediocre game on it's own, then this is all futile.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte