Skyrim

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by drobb, Sep 5, 2012.

Sep 5, 2012

Skyrim by drobb at 6:58 AM (649 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. drobb
    OP

Member drobb Hunter

United States
    i know im late to the party with this game, but i just really havent had the time to play it. honestly i probably still wont have the time to dedicate to it and just play it from time to time. can anyone suggest some of the best mods, where to get, and how to install. also any tips, tricks and or advice for a first time elder scrolls player is more then welcome. ive actually had this for months and am just now getting to it at all, ive also had oblivion forever and havent ever really played it either, i actually have 2 copies of it for 360 (goy) and 1 for pc. oh well.

2. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    For mods, go to Skyrim Nexus, register and download the Nexus Mod Manager first. That is a really helpful tool to keep your mods folder kind of clean. Try to use it as much as possible, a lot of popular mods support it.

As for the best mods, just use the top files function on that site, it'll help you a lot. There really are thousands of mods that you may find good, it's very subjective.

General tips on the TES series, quicksave quicksave quicksave. It saves you from soooooooooo much trouble.

2 people like this.
  3. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    Satangel is absolutely correct. We cannot stress the quicksave option enough. It should become as common as breathing. You should save before you walk through most doors, and any time you're about to pickpocket or steal something risky.
    TES games have lots of bugs develop random features of awesomeness, some of which are so awesome that the game is incapable of showing them to you, causing it to faint from excitement.

The rest of my recommendations have no basis apart from how I have played Morrowind and Oblivion.
    Join the Mages and Thieves guilds.
    Jump everywhere you go. And fall off of things. If you live, it's quite helpful. Hope you saved before you jumped, though.
    Shiny thing? Steal that shit.
    Destruction and Restoration skills are must-haves for all travelers. I also recommend alchemy, but it's rather tedious.
    Somewhere in the game you'll find a lockpick that you can't break. Jump through any hoop you have to in order to get it.
    Main quest? There's time for that some other day. (500 hours of Morrowind. Never completed the main quest)
    ENCHANTMENT! First thing you enchant is a sword with soul trap. (1 second, on strike) Gather up as many soul gems as you can get, then start using the sword to fill them up, and then go make even more enchanted items. At the very least they sell for a pretty penny, and if you stole the soulgem that you used in the enchantment your profit margin is even higher.
    If at any point you find yourself hacking through a deep, labyrinthine dungeon with many levels, and you weren't sent there by a quest: turn around. You're about to screw up a future quest.
    When in doubt: UESP.

4. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Also, while arrows aren't as rare as advertised during E3, Conjuration has a skill called Bound Bow that when cast, comes with 100 arrows. Way more than you can even use before the spell wears off.

1 person likes this.
  5. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States

6. drobb
    OP

Member drobb Hunter

United States
    well thanks for all the advice. altho some of it comes a little to late, (quicksave) i accidently stole a potion it think it was, from the guy who you escape with sister or something in the house they let you use. now im stuck fighting 3 guys who totally just kick my ass every time ive tried. :(

1 person likes this.
  7. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    you might be able to yeild by sheathing your weapon, if not then run for the door and run to escape them
    you will still have a bounty in that area though

you can also try the auto save (there should be 3 of them which save a different times)

8. drobb
    OP

Member drobb Hunter

United States
    duh, it totally slipped my mine to check the autosaves.

9. ouch123

Member ouch123 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    One thing to stress: Don't level non-combat skills too early, as enemies scale with your level. Trust me, goddamn grizzly bears'll come out of nowhere and rip your 15 Light-Armor, 15 One-handed ass to shreds before you even get a chance to piss yourself.