Sky3DS diskwritter issues

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Joexv, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Joexv
    OP

Joexv One World Under XV

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2013
    United States
    Oregon
    Hopefully this is in the right area for this, but I'm having shit tons of issues with sky3ds Diskwritte v2.02b1. First off it refuses to write 3dz files for me, 2nd it will only write games half of the time, it constantly crashes, and sometimes when it writes it doesnt unlock the device to be used again giving device i/o errors making me have to format the device at least 5 times before it works again.

Anyone have any suggestions or ways to fix this?

2. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Get yourself a better/different cardreader. This is obviously your problem. Disk Writer is picky about them.
    3dz is just an extension. Its basicly a 3ds-file which has headers injected (data which is different for every gamecard). DiskWriter always replace this data with the header inside template.txt. -> rename your 3dz-backup to .3ds and diskwriter will copy it.

3. Joexv
    OP

Joexv One World Under XV

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2013
    United States
    Oregon
    Changing readers didnt seem to help that much, I didnt get most of the normal errors that I get but I still got thsi odd bug:
    http://i.imgur.com/801qYAv.png
    When this happens it locks my device for writing till I delete a game.

Last edited by Joexv, Jun 27, 2015
  4. DSpider

DSpider GBAtemp Fan

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    Use DiskWriter 1.6. Much more stable than that beta crap (the "b" from "v2.02b1" stands for beta in case you didn't know).

5. red215

red215 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2015
    I have this problem too, using the 1.6 diskwriter does nothing about the nonsense image names :(

Last edited by red215, Jun 28, 2015
  6. DSpider

DSpider GBAtemp Fan

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    I didn't see any weird names in DiskWriter. They seem to be the short version from the template.txt/settings.ini file. Granted, I've only tried a few popular games, but still...

You should back up and save games from the ROMs first, format the mSD card with SDFormatter so that it can be used in My Computer again, completely fill it with ROMs (or any other 1-2 GB files), then use QuickSFV to verify the MD5 hashes for the same files on the HDD and on the mSD card. If they don't match, that means that they are being written as corrupted on the card and that you need a new card.

7. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Those are not nonsense image names. These are called TitleID and each game has one. For example CTR-P-EKJA is Pokemon (I think its Y).
    DiskWriter will use that when the name for the game is not inside settings.ini.

DiskWriter is working. You just think that it's broken, but it's not. It's just not that user-friendly like you want it to be.

8. DSpider

DSpider GBAtemp Fan

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    Oh. Then you just need the latest template.txt and settings.ini. Problem solved.

9. WildMountainJew

WildMountainJew Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2015
    United States
    I may be having a related issue? I'm not sure. I'll lay out my symptoms, and hopefully someone much more clever than I will be able to address it.

Just to get the obligatory data out of the way, I'm on a New Nintendo 3DS XL US, running the latest (9.8.0-25U) firmware. I'm using a "Blue Button" Sky3DS (which I think shipped from China based on delivery time). I'm writing to a SanDisk Ultra Class 10 MicroSDHC 32GB card via a Targus-brand multi-card reader. EDIT: I'm also using Template0624. I was using an old "TransFlash" usb-to-microSD reader from my CycloDS days, and also tried with the T-Flash reader that shipped with an R4i-Gold 3DS flashcard, but those both appeared to be generating errors. Specifically, the CycloDS Transflash stick is no longer recognized by the computer at all (does not mount, basically) and the T-Flash unit generates a windows "USB Device Not Recognized" error (and also won't mount). These issues didn't start to appear until my attempts to correct my issue (described below) on Friday. It's possible I fried my cardreaders, which would be sad.

The actual issue is this: I switched from 1.06b5 to DiskWriter 2.02b1 on Friday. When I inserted the microSD chip and launched the new DW utility, I got the message that my chip was in an old format and I would need to upgrade. Okay, so I did. I followed the wizard and watched as it created a save-game backup file on my hard drive, formatted the card, then restored the backup. When I went to launch the games in my Sky3DS, I followed the on-screen instructions: Insert Sky3DS with button held down, eject, wait, reinsert, watch for blue light to flash very fast, eject, wait, reinsert and games should load. I did that, and got the fast light flash, then reinserted as instructed. Nothing.

I played around with various iterations of the above steps most of Friday and Saturday, which is what led to me getting a new card reader. This is even a brand new MicroSD card from a retail outlet (ie, known-not-counterfit). The current state of things is this: the card is formatted as FAT32, then formatted using the DW "Format" utility, games written to it, inserted into 3DS, get nothing. I can launch other (legit) 3DS games, and it will read my R4i NDS-flashcart and launch those games. If I insert the Sky3DS, I get nothing - no game loads, no flashing light. If I hold down the button while inserting, I get nothing. I eject and reinsert, I get the fast-flashing light. I eject, wait, reinsert, and get nothing.

AT this point, I think the card is working - I don'tk now that it is, but I think so. I don't know if the new DiskWriter is working, or if it's fucked up my Sky3DS to the point where it needs a new firmware flash (or if that's even possible). I've tried this with the old 1.6b5 DW as well, with no change.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome. I'm at the point of negotiating with a local US retailer for an exchange or discount purchase of a new one. Help?

Last edited by WildMountainJew, Jun 28, 2015
  10. Joexv
    OP

Joexv One World Under XV

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2013
    United States
    Oregon
    yea I know those are the short names, but the issue is anything that it shows with those names arent written to the card. Did what you said and nothing came up corrupted, and I tried it on 3 different cards now.

I dont care if its userfriendly I just want it to write my games no issue.

Already have the newest of both, I dont think anything related to diskwritter will be that simple.

11. red215

red215 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2015
    Hi,
    I was having the exact same problem, I replaced the memory card with a SanDisk one and formatted using Diskwriter v1.6 and it works perfectly now! Hope this helps :yaynds: