Sites hijacking CTRL+Click and SHIFT+Click.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
CTRL+Click opens a link in a new tab, SHIFT+Click opens a link in a new window.

At least, they should, but sites can use fancy shit to make the shortcuts not work. While Firefox does have controls to combat other annoying trickery (Javascript options to stop sites from disabling/replacing context menus and the like), there's no obvious option for this (and no, this is not a Firefox issue, it started on Chrome before Firefox updated to allow this too).

While I could probably find the section of code that's doing it and blacklist it, this is becoming far too common, it's not just one or two sites anymore (so a personal blacklist is ineffective), and it's often causing me to lose form and session data with no warning.

As this bad design practice is becoming far too common, I need a fix.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
While I could probably find the section of code that's doing it and blacklist it, this is becoming far too common, it's not just one or two sites anymore (so a personal blacklist is ineffective)
I'm looking for something to block this functionality specifically, not this functionality plus eight thousand others.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Afraid I have no solution or even useful contribution to the thread and I am posting mainly so I do not miss replies. I had met the block context menu stuff before but I have yet to encounter this myself* other than in the form of sites using javascript only navigation and other such stupidities which have no real workaround short of rewriting their site for them. Granted I do run the quad threat of ghostery, noscript, requestpolicy and adblock in paranoid and then some mode.

*I did read a fairly informative thread on the subject though. The main problem as I see it is the people looking to do it are clueless as to web design as you surmised and that probably means obfuscation by incompetence.

Reactions: yuyuyup

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Try CTRL+Clicking a "reply" button on a post on GBAtemp for a quick example. While the "reply" button IS a link, it also has what I can only assume is dark witchcraft from the 1600's attached to it, which makes it ignore the modifier and do what the JS tells it to do instead.

Reactions: Celice

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Try CTRL+Clicking a "reply" button on a post on GBAtemp for a quick example. While the "reply" button IS a link, it also has what I can only assume is dark witchcraft from the 1600's attached to it, which makes it ignore the modifier and do what the JS tells it to do instead.
Not really a solution, but clicking middle mouse button or mouse wheel on a link does the same thing and is not blocked (at least not on the Temp).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Not really a solution, but clicking middle mouse button or mouse wheel on a link does the same thing and is not blocked (at least not on the Temp).
Oh yeah it does, and on other sites as well. I stopped middle-clicking links ages ago (thus not knowing), since I sometimes end up scrolling up or down immediately beforehand, which could land the click elsewhere.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is an autohotkey script you may find useful. You can double right click in order to middle click. You can change it to double left click but then you lose being able to highlight stuff with the mouse. Scrolling won't be a bother anymore.

Code:
RButton::
if clicks > 0
  clicks++
else
{
  clicks := 1
  SetTimer, ClickWait, 175
}
return

ClickWait:
SetTimer, ClickWait, off
if clicks = 1
{
  Click, Right
}
else
{
  Click, Middle
}
clicks := 0
return

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I stopped middle-clicking links ages ago (thus not knowing), since I sometimes end up scrolling up or down immediately beforehand, which could land the click elsewhere.
That's why I prefer mice with clearly defined steps on the scroll wheel (preferrably as loud as possible :ha: ), that require some serious effort to scroll in the first place. Never had a problem with the middle click :P

Some sites also add random stuff to the text you copy using CTRL+C (usually just the "read more at [website URL]" at the end but sometimes they just disable copying altogether or replace the text you copied with stuff). I understand why they do this, but I really don't like it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Some sites also add random stuff to the text you copy using CTRL+C (usually just the "read more at [website URL]" at the end but sometimes they just disable copying altogether or replace the text you copied with stuff). I understand why they do this, but I really don't like it.
This is a hell of an annoyance too, but I don't think there'd be any way to stop it globally without killing other useful functions like auto-copy of URLs for uploaded images/files and such. I don't see this too often anymore, thankfully.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you do not like to live dangerously then instead of middle click you can right click and use the context menu (no need to swap fingers either as a second right click on the context menu works).

I am quite curious about this keyboard shortcut blocking though so I shall have to read further.

As for adding extra stuff.... I had seen the text made invisible and copied when you were not paying attention concept and invisible image/hard to select stuff before but through active measures is new to me.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I just right-click and then open in a new tab when I need to, the issue is when I go to a new site, often to fill in some forms, and I'm not aware that they do this, and lose my progress when it happens.

Yeah the whole "overlay an invisible image so you can't right-click and save-as" is yet more modern bullshit easily defeated by some HTTP logging and/or simply snagging a right-click on the base before the overlay comes in (or just viewing the source and CTRL+F-ing).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Right click- view page info -> Media works similarly for most of what I needed and firebug did the rest for me.

As for the forms I thought there were a few addons to save/recover forms ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery/ being the first halfway nice result of a search), I agree it is a roundabout half solution with a potential security risk to a problem that should not exist buy hey.

Reactions: Rydian

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bump. This is getting more and more annoying as more sites implement popular libraries that use it.

Use IE10. It's a good browser. Really.

I use it and have never encountered this. Probably because I have the global option set to always open links in a new tab. I'm not aware that either Firefox or Chrome has this option.

D

Deleted-236924

Oh yeah it does, and on other sites as well. I stopped middle-clicking links ages ago (thus not knowing), since I sometimes end up scrolling up or down immediately beforehand, which could land the click elsewhere.

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for, but you could always get a mouse on which middle click is a separate button from the scroll wheel.
60231_508f0946a3e52.jpg

(This particular model is pretty tiny, so it probably wouldn't be a good option if you have larger hands. I don't know if there are other mice like that, though.)
The button with the magnifier on it is actually the middle click for some reason, at least for me.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've never encountered this problem before, I use Google Chrome with Gentoo Linux myself, if that helps.

Use IE10. It's a good browser. Really.
Sorry what? Sir, please do yourself a favor and download a better web browser, I can reassure you any "new" features they added to IE were most likely stolen from another Web browser.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just tried it and yeah it works fine in IE, but I'm not changing over. Being unable to mess with the page until it finishes loading scripts and stuff like that annoys me too much.
You're using Firefox or Palemoon?

the main dev of the Palemoon project is very receptive, and a thread on this subject on their forums could generate a fix on the next update... ..who knows

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You're using Firefox or Palemoon?

the main dev of the Palemoon project is very receptive, and a thread on this subject on their forums could generate a fix on the next update... ..who knows
Firefox, never tried Palemoon. Did a quick read and the concept of it definitely appeals to my sense of use... I shall give it a try to see if it shows the issue (and is usable), and if so I will try that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs