Hacking Simple way FIX "psram error" problem! from supercard

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The question is whether this is safe. You are supposed to open the card up and connect the two poles and short out the battery. Couldn't one break something by doing this?

But here's the guide quoted for easier viewing and for putting it on the site:

I heard some DSONE owners got the "psram error" problem.

There is a simple way to fix this problem by yourself.

1. Use a screw open the DSONE.

20080925_a516271a62824652ccb3xGHOiENMhjm0.jpg

2. Shortcut the two foot (+ and -) of the battery for a second with a conductive material(a key or screw). That mean conductive metal have to touch the + and - at the same time. This action will reset the psram.

20080925_19538c0ed310d7bef05bnUUWG358w7eU.jpg

3. close the DSONE.

It has been fixed.

How to check the psram is ok or not?
Hold L+R+UP and open power, DSONE enter self-test program, press A button to test the hardware.
If all OK, that mean the psram error had been fixed.

Why there is a "psram error"?
PSRAM will be formated at the first electrified(no mean the ds power on, mean psram get battery support), there is a small chance to cause a cell error in the psram. The error cell will be remembered until no battery support. DSONE has a rechargeable battery, so psram always has battery support. The error cell will always be there until the psram has been reset(shortcut battery for a second).

This information was posted by romman, a moderator from the Supercard forum.

lurbi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
granville said:
The question is whether this is safe. You are supposed to open the card up and connect the two poles and short out the battery. Couldn't one break something by doing this?

well ... the info is an official info from the supercard team.
and without the fix, you would have sent in the cart anyways to get a replacement.
So I do not see anything wrong with trying this, before you return your cart for replacement.

just my 2 cents

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lurbi said:
granville said:

well ... the info is an official info from the supercard team.
and without the fix, you would have sent in the cart anyways to get a replacement.
So I do not see anything wrong with trying this, before you return your cart for replacement.

just my 2 cents
I have the PSRAM error. It appears whenever I remove and replace a microSD from the DS-ONE. I tried the paper trick with no effect. But I was able to fix it by simply lightly squeezing the Supercard while a microSD is inserted. This has been 100% successful thus far. I'll try the shorting technique if this technique becomes ineffective. For now, I'm pretty nervous about doing anything related to shorting a connector out.

Saladman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You just stopping the battery, thats all. You do the same thing with pc motherboards when you clear the cmos via the jumper, short the battery.

lurbi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
granville said:
So there's no danger at all by doing this? And will it permanently fix the PSRAM error?

Even if it works, I'm still pretty afraid to do this.

I cannot really tell.
All the info we have is from the SC forum.
I would suggest that you ask THERE, as there are the official Supercard teammembers which can answer you.

The only thing that I can say, is that the information came from the guy, who designed the Hardware, so I guess that he should know what he is talking about.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lurbi said:
granville said:
So there's no danger at all by doing this? And will it permanently fix the PSRAM error?

I cannot really tell.
All the info we have is from the SC forum.
I would suggest that you ask THERE, as there are the official Supercard teammembers which can answer you.

The only thing that I can say, is that the information came from the guy, who designed the Hardware, so I guess that he should know what he is talking about.
The thread over at the Supercard forums are full of the same questions as mine. Basically, the developer came up with this solution, but no one has really tested it to see if the technique is safe or permanently fixes the card. That's why I don't want to risk trying this and messing this up until more people have tested it.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry for the double post but I bring big and good news!

OK, I finally had to try this process. Squeezing it no longer fixes my issue. So I opened up the card and did the process stated by romman and the verdict is (drumroll)-

IT WORKED!
yaynds.gif
biggrin.gif

I don't know if this is permanent, but I tried the self-test several times, each time removing and replacing the microSD. It passed every time!

I suggest you try it if you want to fix it. Just be a bit careful about where you put the metal. I imagine you people would be much better at this than me too. I suffer from a serious (and I mean SERIOUS) hand-shaking problem!

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
granville said:

There is always someone who is scared of their own shadow.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
granville said:
Tanas said:
granville said:

There is always someone who is scared of their own shadow.
Why don't you read my latest post before this one before trolling me?
nyanya.gif

You are still a turd
nyanya.gif

lurbi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
granville said:
The thread over at the Supercard forums are full of the same questions as mine. Basically, the developer came up with this solution, but no one has really tested it to see if the technique is safe or permanently fixes the card. That's why I don't want to risk trying this and messing this up until more people have tested it.

Sorry to repeat myself ...
but what were you afraid of messing up??
A completely messed up SCDS1??
It **WAS** already messed up ... what harm could you do there??

anyways ... glad that you took together all your courage
wink.gif

aero125

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
I'm fortunate to get a SCDSOne recently from DX without the PSRAM error.

If indeed I do get the error, I will do the shorting as recommended in the SC forum.

Shorting the battery to reset the memory effect of the system is not new. It is a recommended procedure to reset a Timex or Cateye heart rate monitor digital watch whenever you do a battery change. I'm pretty sure the procedure is safe.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lurbi said:
granville said:

Sorry to repeat myself ...
but what were you afraid of messing up??
A completely messed up SCDS1??
It **WAS** already messed up ... what harm could you do there??

anyways ... glad that you took together all your courage
wink.gif
Like I said, I had a technique to temporarily fix it (squeezing it). It worked when I did this, so I didn't want to risk completely breaking it so I couldn't access the card at all.

But the squeeze technique became obsolete. It would give the PSRAM error regardless of what I did. So I decided to try the battery shorting technique. It worked. And after a day, no matter what I do, it's still working!
yaynds.gif

I became wary of bricking something ever since my R4 shorted out my old DS. I believe I have a right to be wary of anything that involves shorting out an electrical component. I destroyed a PC motherboard doing this as well (although that was the Dell company's fault since they were walking me through a repair process).

At any rate, I just wanted to confirm that this technique works and appears to permanently fix the problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.