Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Stupid question maybe!

I Downgraded a N3DSXL -> created emunand -> set everything up for CFW -> backup SYSNAND and backup EMUNAND
Then i want to unlink by formatting sysnand, CAN i, if i want, restore emunand to sysnand later?

the reason i ask: i have old ironfall, if i format sysnand, i lose that one, so if i ever want to update (let's say, cfw on 10.3 possible)
it's impossible to redownload 1.0/1.1 and loose an entrypoint that i still would have if i didn't format sysnand.
If i format emunand, i lose all my game progress and since emunand will be the one i autoboot in and play games in i really don't want to do that.
Why unlink sysnand/emunand on N3DS it seems you have to, to create MenuHax without getting black screens when you boot into emunand (changing theme (removing MenuHax) let's me boot emunand again)

So if i can restore emunand.bin by renaming it nand.bin and then restore it with gateway, i could have everything back :)

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say piracy is the worst! Never do it! Especially because of that stupid site... ... Gosh piracy is just the worst. ;)

Wait a minute, I see what you did there....

You have to get up pretty early in the morning to get past me, pretty early!

Hopefully you don't anger the mods.

Last edited by gallymimu,

ayylmao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's gonna be 3DS and Wii U downtime next week, so I think a new update might come then. Take it with a grain of salt tho, I'm just predicting. OP's sysUpdater is, I guess the most recent from official sources. Again, more grains of salt. I know @julian20 made some patches, with their most recent one being here. I used that one to downgrade my PAL New 3DS on 10.3.

The one you linked is the one in the OP, so i suppose that is the latest one, any official news about a new version?, i'm on 10.3 U O3DS with the 4GB sd card if i change SD cards later is it just as easy as moving everything from the SD card to another one? thanks in advance

GoldenHamburger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time I try to downgrade, I get this error:

titleException:
main.cpp:148: Result: 0xD900182F
Failed to get CIA file info!

It's either that, or when I boot SysUpdater, I get black screens and have to reset my N3DS.
I have the latest version on SysUpdater in my 3ds folder, and 9.2 cias in "updates" on the root of my micro SD.

Mthodmn101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time I try to downgrade, I get this error:

titleException:
main.cpp:148: Result: 0xD900182F

It's either that, or when I boot SysUpdater, I get black screens and have to reset my N3DS.
I have the latest version on SysUpdater in my 3ds folder, and 9.2 cias in "updates" on the root of my micro SD.

same for me on n3ds USA

88exp88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got to the message that says "Rebooting in 10 seconds" and it is not rebooting by itself. Should I go ahead and manually reboot it, or is this a sign that my device is bricked?

AnukWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Also get this error.
Tried multiple sysupdater builds, tried using Browserhax and Menuhax (via HBL with FTBrony and directly via boot.3dsx)
and also checked my update files, the hashes are 100% correct, folder is also spelled right and the cia files are in there. I kinda run out of ideas by now.

I got a n3ds EUR.

Ridge

they/them
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Norway
The one you linked is the one in the OP, so i suppose that is the latest one, any official news about a new version?, i'm on 10.3 U O3DS with the 4GB sd card if i change SD cards later is it just as easy as moving everything from the SD card to another one? thanks in advance

No news about a new version as far as I know, sorry. If you format your SysNAND before downgrading, you can't use the SD data that was present before you formatted your 3DS, but again, only as far as I know. If you don't format SysNAND, backup your SD card and then import your backup on SD again you can use the data. Or change SD and move the data to it, that'll work too. As long as you don't format SysNAND.
I'd like to know if I can use my SD backup from before I formatted my SysNAND.

knewknow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So it's just complete RNG then? Lol I guess I will keep spamming it all day
tloccpu: are you referring to the CIA error message:

titleException error, it fails to get CIA file info.
titleException:
main.cpp:xxx: Result: xxxxxxxxxx <----- can't recall what mine is

I tried about 30 times getting to this point after pressing Y or freezing to black screen on sysupdater load. If it's completely random then I suppose I'll just keep at it. The other strange thing was that I was getting to this point approximately 50% of the time with OOT3dhax but with menuhax it would ALWAYS freeze at black screen and never show the "press Y" menu.

btw... this is on N3DS 10.3 USA console

Last edited by knewknow,

mepica

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Trying to downgrade my n3ds since yesterday with no luck :glare:. Did someone release something easier for N3ds? is pretty annoying when it takes more than expected...
(if anyone has an idea... I use an n3ds fw 9.9 EUR, cias n3ds from "that iso site" with md5 checked. Loaded by ninjhax and menuhax through hbl)

azramy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i'm getting that error message after using the sysupdate, if i trade SD cards and format the new one will it work?
(after downgrading i will put the old one cuz of the save files and eshop games)

AnukWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Okay, after another 3 tries, it worked! Didn't show that cia error this time.
Dunno if that's relevant but instead of starting FTBrony before launching sysupdater, I kinda foolishly thought about installing another entrypoint and started the old-ironfall-downloader and quit it as soon as I remembered that I'd need to link the nnid for that xD
Well, dunno if that solved the error, but it worked right after that.
Also try using Browserhax, it does take much longer but for me it seems to work way better.

N3DS XL @ 10.3-28E, now on 9.2E via julian20's build from page 95.

Btw, what to do now? Just follow one of the CFW install guides? And should I relink the NNID in sysnand or emunand?

Last edited by AnukWolf,

juuuuuuuche

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys. I tried to downgrade my N3DSXL from 10.3.0-28E to 9.2.0-20E the following way:

- Updated the 3DS from 10.1.0.27E to 10.3.0-28E
- Installed "the homebrew launcher" via browserhax
- Installed menuhax
- Installed ironhax
- Waited a few days
- Being pleased about 3DS downgrade possibility
- Downloaded 9.2.0-20E (MD5: 6dcca8fcbc9a28c82c2a4e5182f3acf8, SHA: e7c77bf205137167f1f1befa0c4db9d879a21a2e, 102 *.cia files)
- Downloaded sysUpdater-0.4.2b
- Copied everything to SD (cia files to /sdcard/updates and sysUpdater folder to /sdcard/3ds)
- Launched "the homebrew launcher" via menuhax
- Launched sysUpdater the first time and the warning about "sysNAND Gateway mode" looked corrupt ... I also wasnt able to downgrade via Y
- Rebooted the 3DS and launched sysUpdater again. Everything looked fine and after pressing the Y button it started installing the cia files

After that I left the room for a while and when i came back, the screen went black. I waited a few minutes but nothing happend. I thought this would be no problem and the downgrade process is completed ... So i switched the console off and turned it back on. But from now on, not even the backlight is working. I tried removing the SD card or to enter the recovery mode (pressing L+R+A+↑ and then power while holding those buttons) without any success. Only the blue power LED is still working. Nothing else ... no WLAN LED no nothing. The only thing i'm able to do is, to switch it off (holding the power button for about 5-10s). I guess the downgrade bricked the 3DS ;( Or does anyone has any tips for me? :)

ayylmao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. I tried to downgrade my N3DSXL from 10.3.0-28E to 9.2.0-20E the following way:

- Installed menuhax
- Installed ironhax
- Waited a few days
- Downloaded 9.2.0-20E (MD5: 6dcca8fcbc9a28c82c2a4e5182f3acf8, SHA: e7c77bf205137167f1f1befa0c4db9d879a21a2e, 102 *.cia files)
- Copied everything to SD (cia files to /sdcard/updates and sysUpdater folder to /sdcard/3ds)
- Launched sysUpdater the first time and the warning about "sysNAND Gateway mode" looked corrupt ... I also wasnt able to downgrade via Y
- Rebooted the 3DS and launched sysUpdater again. Everything looked fine and after pressing the Y button it started installing the cia files

After that I left the room for a while and when i came back, the screen went black. I waited a few minutes but nothing happend. I thought this would be no problem and the downgrade process is completed ... So i switched the console off and turned it back on. But from now on, not even the backlight is working. I tried removing the SD card or to enter the recovery mode (pressing L+R+A+↑ and then power while holding those buttons) without any success. Only the blue power LED is still working. Nothing else ... no WLAN LED no nothing. The only thing i'm able to do is, to switch it off (holding the power button for about 5-10s). I guess the downgrade bricked the 3DS ;( Or does anyone has any tips for me? :)

Thanks for testing pretty sure there is a poll around for bricked consoles you should fill it for statistic purposes

julian20

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

- Installed menuhax
- Installed ironhax
- Waited a few days

You used the unsecure sysupdater. With this one https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...ngrading-your-3ds.407888/page-95#post-5923820 your normal firm or SAVEMODE firm would still work(one of them have to be working with this sysupdater). Yes you hardbricked your console

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol