"Silent Hill 3" gets a modern camera mod by Zealot Tomato

Last week, we covered the release of a brand new mod released for the GOG version of Silent Hill 4: The Room that added both Over-The-Shoulders and 1st Person camera perspectives to the classic title of the Silent Hill franchise. Since then, mod developer Zealot Tomato has also been working on a similar mod for yet another installment in the franchise, this time for Silent Hill 3.

Similar to the SH4 mod, this mod for Silent Hill 3 brings a modern Over-The-Shoulder camera perspective into the game alongside a free roaming camera, akin to those from the recent Resident Evil Remakes, and it also adds an optional 1st Person perspective, making for a more immersive experience for those that desire it, so players can choose between the OTS and FPS perspectives according to their liking.

Zealot recommends using Mono audio for this mod, as using Stereo sound has some odd behaviour alongside the mod, and to disable the camera mod with F2 during the escape sequence inside the Mansion, as that was never intended for a modified camera perspective. Additionally, for those playing in 1st person, Zealot recommends disabling real time shadows due to a bug with the flashlight's flare.

Silent Hill 3 - Modern Camera Mod Release Description said:
Okay, I'll literally just copy-paste the SH4 readme and change the relevant points.

Changelog v1.0:
  • OTS Camera Mod
  • First Person Camera Mod
Download: https://github.com/zealottormunds/sh3...

Instructions:
Drag and drop all the files from the .rar into your SH3 root folder. Replace if prompted. This is also compatible with Steam006's fix (and it's HIGHLY recommended to play this way). To open the mod menu, pause the game with ESC and then press F1. This only works when your game is paused (it's the opposite to the SH4 mod). Any errors, crashes or softlocks you find, let me know. Also, I've added F2 as the hotkey to switch the camera mod ON/OFF while you're in game. Use it if you don't wanna go into the mod menu.

Remember to enable 2D controls!

Mod menu controls:
  • F1 to enable/disable
  • ESC to go back
  • Enter to turn a setting ON/OFF
  • WASD to navigate
It is also recommended to set your audio setting to mono, as stereo works weirdly with the mod. If you're playing in first person, it is also recommended to turn realtime shadows off. I believe it should work during the entire game, but the flashlight shows an annoying flare when you're in first person so you'll have to deal with that until I figure out how to turn it off haha.

I also recommend to disable this mod with F2 in the mansion when you have to run from the red fog. It's clearly not supposed to be played in first or third person, so you'll have an easier time if you disable it. I'll probably add a setting to disable it automatically in a later update.

The Modern Camera mod for Silent Hill 3 was teased some weeks ago by Zealot on his YouTube channel while his main focus was still on Silent Hill 4's modern camera mod, mentioning that Silent Hill 3 would be the next one to get the same treatment after SH4's was finished. It's still unknown if Zealot will continue his modern camera mods into other entries of the franchise as of yet, but those interested can follow Zealot Tomato on both his own X/Twitter profile and his YouTube Channel for further news about upcoming mod releases.

:arrow: Silent Hill 3 Cam Mod GitHub Repository
:arrow: Zealot Tomato's X/Twitter Profile
:arrow: Zealot Tormunds' YouTube Channel

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I do wonder if the modder is planning this kind of mod for Silent Hill 2 to go alongside the Enhanced Edition of it.
The EE guys are planning an upcoming new version of the mod, so it'd be interested if they worked alongside this modder to implement camera options for SH2:EE.

Reactions: Blasingame

Blasingame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do wonder if the modder is planning this kind of mod for Silent Hill 2 to go alongside the Enhanced Edition of it.
The EE guys are planning an upcoming new version of the mod, so it'd be interested if they worked alongside this modder to implement camera options for SH2:EE.
SH2 Enhanced Edtion exactly came to mind!

I hope they consider including this mod in one of their upcomming releases :)

Also, I hope at some point the team is able to move on to Silent Hill 3 and Silent Hill 4. I get that SH2 is considered the masterpiece of the bunch, people like me like SH3 and SH4 just the same :)

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
SH2 Enhanced Edtion exactly came to mind!

I hope they consider including this mod in one of their upcomming releases :)

Also, I hope at some point the team is able to move on to Silent Hill 3 and Silent Hill 4. I get that SH2 is considered the masterpiece of the bunch, people like me like SH3 and SH4 just the same :)

I dream about a SH4 Enhanced Edition ever since I found out about SH2's.
Hope they consider doing that one, a few QoL changes would make wonders for that game to be seen in a better light.

Reactions: Blasingame

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @Xdqwerty, is getting better at controlling his emotions way more than in the past