Shutdown from homebrew channel

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by cruplezone, Dec 16, 2016.

1. cruplezone
    OP

cruplezone GBAtemp Regular

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    Is this even possible? Same goes for many homebrew apps why has no one implemented power button functionality?

EDIT: Obviously this post is regarding the gamepad, not the main console. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

EDIT2: Thank you @raulpica for removing those posts.

Last edited by cruplezone, Dec 16, 2016
  2. iAqua
    This message by iAqua has been removed from public view by raulpica, Dec 16, 2016, Reason: Rude remarks and flaming -rp.
    Dec 16, 2016
  3. ItsKipz
    This message by ItsKipz has been removed from public view by raulpica, Dec 16, 2016, Reason: Rude remarks and flaming -rp.
    Dec 16, 2016
  4. cruplezone
    This message by cruplezone has been removed from public view by raulpica, Dec 16, 2016, Reason: Rude remarks and flaming -rp.
    Dec 16, 2016
  5. ItsKipz
    This message by ItsKipz has been removed from public view by raulpica, Dec 16, 2016, Reason: Rude remarks and flaming -rp.
    Dec 16, 2016
  6. cruplezone
    This message by cruplezone has been removed from public view by raulpica, Dec 16, 2016, Reason: Rude remarks and flaming -rp.
    Dec 16, 2016
  7. sup3rgh0st

sup3rgh0st Top Tier Ghost

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Stop being an ass to the OP. I too have wondered this, as holding the power button on the gamepad turns off the pad, but not the console. This isn't an issue on the 3ds or the Wii, so it's reasonable to assume you'd be able to turn off your console via gamepad on the WiiU.

8. cruplezone
    OP

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    Thanks. Haha yeah that's exactly my point was surprised when the gamepad shutoff but the wiiu didn't. I guess it has to be implemented on a per app basis so in time we might see it become standard hopefully. Would make things easier, although obviously I understand it's not a huge deal.

Honestly this kind of behaviour on these forums is really discouraging to look at as a community that's meant to help each other.

9. ItsKipz
    Dec 16, 2016
  10. cruplezone
    Dec 16, 2016
  11. ItsKipz
    Dec 16, 2016
  12. Dr.Hacknik
    This message by Dr.Hacknik has been removed from public view by raulpica, Dec 16, 2016, Reason: Rude remarks and flaming -rp.
    Dec 16, 2016
  13. iAqua
    This message by iAqua has been removed from public view by raulpica, Dec 16, 2016, Reason: Rude remarks and flaming -rp.
    Dec 16, 2016
  14. brienj

brienj Trying to avoid getting cancer

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    How does the console not turn off pressing the power button on your gamepad? It always does when I press it.

15. cruplezone
    OP

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    ...when in homebrew? double check that mate.

16. brienj

brienj Trying to avoid getting cancer

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    You mean while playing homebrew? IDK, never turned my console off when not on the home menu. Never had a reason to.

17. cruplezone
    OP

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    Did you even read the title of this post.

18. pietempgba

pietempgba GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 9, 2016
    United States
    IOS-Reboot(POC)

cruplezone likes this.
  19. CreeperMario

CreeperMario GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    Adelaide, South Australia
    From what I gathered from skim-reading this thread, you people can't turn off the console while in homebrew software without getting up, walking over to your console and holding the POWER button for four seconds.

I am not quite sure why this happens.

Though I did find this (from http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Coreinit.rpl#OSSystem):
    Code:
    int OSShutdown(int status);
    It looks like we could use this to add an option to the Homebrew Launcher to shut down your console, just like HBC did on the Wii.

cruplezone likes this.
  20. pietempgba

Jun 9, 2016
    United States
  21. rw-r-r_0644

rw-r-r_0644 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Italy
    It's probably because of ProcUI things that wut has. That's the reason because you can turn off wii u in homebrew launcher rpx and all the rpx apps.
    Shutdown probably sends exit signal to ProcUI and the app has to free things up, then exit, and then the wii u should turn off but normal homebrew is not checking ProcUI state

22. cruplezone
    OP

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    This is probably true. I noticed that when you hold down the power button the system doesn't shutdown in homebrew, but as soon as you press the home button to get out it does.

23. pietempgba

Jun 9, 2016
    United States
    oh wait duh i just realized that ios reboot only reboots
    lol

24. dronesplitter

dronesplitter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    United States
    I noticed in the hombrew channel that if I hold the power button down for a few seconds, then let go and press the home button, it actually shuts both the console and the gamepad off.

25. cruplezone
    OP

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    Yes the WiiU receives the signal to shut down, but it does not actually until you exit out of homebrew. The homebrew has to be isntructed to listen for the shutdown. Good solve team now we pray it gets implemented.

26. dronesplitter

dronesplitter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    United States
    It's not like people will just ignore it or haven't noticed. So far, I feel we're extremely fortunate to have the dev support we have right now. Wii U is a dead platform, and probably not going to see much interest for homebrew development soon.

27. lebrawurschd

lebrawurschd GBAtemp Regular

Jan 1, 2016
    Gambia, The
    You can install the homebrew launcher if youre on custom firmware
    this chanel works like a normal wii u chanel and dosent block the power button
    Haxchi and CBHC will cooldboot into a custom firmware and youre able to run this unsigned channel ;)

28. BullyWiiPlaza

BullyWiiPlaza Nintendo Hacking <3

Aug 2, 2014
    Germany
    Yes, you can call the OSShutdown function. I e.g. implemented it in JGecko U hahaha:

[​IMG]

But yeah, this shouldn't be too hard to do for the homebrew launcher for @dimok ?

Last edited by BullyWiiPlaza, Dec 19, 2016
    Dekirai and cruplezone like this.
  29. TheMynx

TheMynx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2016
    Belgium
    My god, people on GBAtemp can be assholes sometimes.

cruplezone likes this.