"Shutdown DRC" [Request]: Power off the Wii U GamePad completely!

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by WiisleyU, Apr 3, 2018.

1. WiisleyU
    OP

WiisleyU GBAtemp Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Brazil
    There are great apps like Padcon and SwapDRC that are capable of turning off the GamePad screen letting you continue to use its buttons, sound and even the touchscreen but I wonder if we could have an homebrew to shutdown the unit completely when we are using another controllers like a Wii Remote or Wii U Pro on games and emulators like Retroarch. It should help to not drain any battery when the GamePad is not needed and save, in long-term, the battery life since some people are having so much problems with chargers and even swollen batteries that does not work anymore!

Yes, there are "tricks" to power off the GamePad without shutdown the Wii U console but sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. The "sync trick" may work flawlessly but it leads to ressync the GamePad everytime you need this again, not being practical at all.

Blake5100 likes this.
  2. cruplezone

cruplezone GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    This is one of those things that I assume would happen if the gamepads FW is ever developed for, possibly adding new options in that tv button overlay. Nothing on this level is likely to happen anytime soon though.

Not sure of the limitations of doing so through the main console would be. But if I'm not mistaken going to vwii mode and selecting tv only is cable of shutting the gamepad down remotely so it should be doable.

Just keep in mind the main devs are currently preoccupied with three main projects rn. Wiiulinux, retroarch, wiiupluginsystem.

I would say just put it on the cradle and call it a day.

WiisleyU likes this.
  3. WiisleyU
    OP

WiisleyU GBAtemp Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Brazil
    Yeah! Going to vWii mode let's you to keep only the TV and on vWii (no WiiVC) you are able to shutdown the GamePad without power off the Wii U.

4. greenlanternx

greenlanternx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2012
    Chile
    install a switch in the cable between the battery port and the motherboard

Ryccardo and cruplezone like this.
  5. WiisleyU
    OP

WiisleyU GBAtemp Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Brazil
    What??? :wacko:

6. cruplezone

cruplezone GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    He means to cut a hole in the casing and just solder a switch between the gamepad battery and the main board. Possible but doubt many will do it.

greenlanternx likes this.
  7. WiisleyU
    OP

WiisleyU GBAtemp Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Brazil
    Hardmod... duh :hateit:

8. greenlanternx

greenlanternx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2012
    Chile
    that's right, is the easiest way, and brick-proof :D

9. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    The battery is still connected to listen to the power button, remote power-on, and quick start menu, so for 100% shutoff, you need to use a power switch between the battery and the GamePad.

10. YOUCANTSTOPME

YOUCANTSTOPME Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 7, 2012
    Canada
    in yo mind
    Other than a few moments where it's required (like using the Preferences/Options menu), I never use the Gamepad. Then when I play games like Mario Kart, I have to go to the screen shut off menu every time. Kind of annoying. I always leave it plugged in. A way to have it always off until you press a button to turn it on would be great. Oh well.

11. bodefuceta

bodefuceta Member

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2018
    Brazil
    From a quick glance, there is a VPADShutdown function in the same Maschell's dynamic libs. Maybe you could replace the setlcdfunction, from the padcon source.
    Edit: I don't know what this does at all, though, or even how to to compile this.. Maybe what you want isnt even implemented.

Last edited by bodefuceta, Apr 13, 2018
  12. cruplezone

cruplezone GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    If you look at the wups discord, Maschell is already considering adding a hardware plugin for controlling gamepad state, console power state, disc drive potentially, etc. so that's probably the soonest you'll see a targeted release for something that implements something like this.

13. dibas

dibas Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2008
    Bahamas, The
    I'm pretty sure VPADShutdown() doesn't actually do anything on the current Wii U firmware. While I was working on padcon I had a look at it. It's deprecated (or "depricated", as you can see below :D)

[​IMG]

bodefuceta likes this.
  14. xLothwenx

xLothwenx Member

Newcomer
    Feb 9, 2017
    United States