Switch off Wii U GamPad - Sync Button Mode

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Knuffibaer, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Knuffibaer
    OP

Knuffibaer Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    The easiest way without pulling the battery out of Pad or walk away with it is done this way:

1) Press Sync Button on Wii U twice. (GamePad shows message that it is already synced)
    2) Press On Off Button on GamePad. Only GamePad switches off. Wii U keeps running.
    3) Now you can switch on your Wii Mote and press B to go back to main screen.
    -> Now you are running your Wii U without the fancy Gamepad until the next reboot. :yaywii:

PS: The GamPad is completely switched off. It does not drain battery like the "Turn screen off" button in the GamePad menu, that only makes the screen black but the pad keeps running.

Gamer4647, k7ra, laz305 and 3 others like this.
  2. Razor83

Razor83 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 23, 2009
    Great idea, although the fact that Nintendo didnt think of including any way to completely turn off the GamePad is really annoying :hateit:

I hope Nintendo updates the GamePad's firmware so that just tapping the GamePad power button turns it on/off, but holding it down for a second will turn the Wii U console on/off - that would make a lot of sense.

Also they should disable the GamePad switching on automatically when you turn on the Wii U console using Wii Remotes/Wii U Pro Controllers - then if you actually want to use the Gamepad aswell (e.g. Pikmin 3) you can choose to manually turn it on/off by just tapping the GamePad power button.

3. T3GZdev

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    I always wanted option to turn it off also. For instance using the pro controllers or Wii remote.

4. Knuffibaer
    OP

Knuffibaer Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    Razor83
    I totally agree.

The gamepad should only act as a gamepad and not as a needed unit.
    For me it does not make sense why the settings of the console has to be done on an external device aka the gamepad.

dont get me wrong. i do like the pad for games who support it and i think it is a new interesting idea. but if i would like to play mario 8 with my friends and 4 wii motes why do i have to make that switch off trick?!

5. steveroo

steveroo GBAtemp Fan

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    Oak Bay
    any way to leave the gamepad off with netflix?

6. n1c0k3n

n1c0k3n Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2015
    France
    Good tip!
    I thought it wasn't possible.
    Thanks

7. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I tried this method and did exactly as instructed but somehow while I pressed the sync button twice on the Wii U and then the ON/OFF on the GamePad it didn't really do any difference at all, but whatever, I'm used to charging the GamePad so it's no biggie.

8. Mr. Mysterio

Mr. Mysterio Super Genius

Sep 16, 2014
    United States
    Rosalina's Comet Observatory
    Another way to run the Wii U without the gamepad is to press the power button on the gamepad, then wait one second, then hold the gamepad power button until it turns off. The Wii U should keep running!

gbamix likes this.
  9. VinsCool

VinsCool Detached from Reality

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    That's exactly what I do! :P

Mr. Mysterio likes this.
  10. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Walking far away from the Wii U should make it lose signal, and a minute later, it will turn itself off. But not very practical to do that. I found if I put the gamepad in the kitchen oven and close the door, it will lose the signal right away. Wait a minute and it will shut off. You can watch it through the oven window. Then just take it out of the oven. It will stay off. Don't forget it there. You don't want a melted gamepad. :P

Edit: The method described by the OP works flawlessly, but the problem is, it de-syncs your gamepad, so you need to sync it again, the next time you need to use it. As for the method of Mr. Mysterio (pressing the power button twice with one sec interval), I never could get it to work. It always shuts down the console.

What I do now is just go to the Mii Maker channel, then exit Mii Maker right away. While the white screen with "Wii U Menu" appears, shut down the gamepad by holding its power button. The console will keep running and you can use whatever controller you want. The gamepad will not be de-synced doing this.

Last edited by Dust2dust, Dec 28, 2016
  11. kimchee2000

kimchee2000 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2014
    Belgium
    nehwon
    Thanks
    good tips
    I was using Loadiine option Padcon so far

Nintendo really suxxed about this thing

12. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Padcon is still great, if you want to use the gamepad, but don't need the display to be on (saves battery power). There is a Padcon standalone for people who stopped to use Loadiine. Look for it on wiiubru appstore.

kimchee2000 likes this.
  13. SlothWiiPlaza

SlothWiiPlaza Sqikz Sqikz

Dec 18, 2016
    Belgium
    Belgium
    This is awesome, my wii u charger is broken, it sometimes charges when i'm playing, it only charges when it's off, now i can play without the gamepad while it's charging :D

14. xLothwenx

xLothwenx Member

Newcomer
    Feb 9, 2017
    United States
    This is the only solution that has worked. It incidentally seems to work around this stupid Yoshi's Woolly World bug that previously required the gamepad's screen to be on to avoid constant stuttering/frame drops:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/692061-yoshis-woolly-world/72070988
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/692061-yoshis-woolly-world/72061742

This is a severe and obvious bug. Nintendo is slipping in their production of quality software lately.

Last edited by xLothwenx, Feb 10, 2017