Hacking Show us your Jig!

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dumb question about f0f's jig, exactly what kind of micro usb connector is used (link would be good)? The inside of the one I just pulled apart bears little to no resemblance.

Thulinma

Computer Magician
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.thulinma.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Stupid question, but how i make the tiny metal piece inside the jig?
You don't. The tiny piece is actually the inside of a micro USB connector (e.g. from a phone charging cable).

Pull the outside of the port off using (for example) some pliers, then cut off the inside part and put it inside the jig. (Obviously, this will destroy the micro USB cable permanently, just to be clear.)
You'll want to remove all pins except pin 1 (the rightmost) and 4 (second from the left, there are 5 pins total) by cutting them off, and then short the left over pins together with some wire or solder.

The reason for all this is that a micro USB connector has the same distance between pins as the joycon rail, so it lines up perfectly. You can get the same effect with other tools (as shown in this thread, often using paperclips and alternative jigs), but there's a higher chance you'll damage the joycon connector by not using "real" pins of the correct pitch (pitch = pin distance), especially when you use it often.

Thulinma

Computer Magician
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.thulinma.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dumb question about f0f's jig, exactly what kind of micro usb connector is used (link would be good)? The inside of the one I just pulled apart bears little to no resemblance.
Practically any should work. It's the type that's on the end of most phone charger cables. Especially cheaper cables have the correct type, I noticed. The more expensive cables use a design that is more sturdy and cannot be "deconstructed" so easily. You'll probably want to use the cheapest cable you can find anyway, so I guess that's a good thing.

Reactions: hippy dave

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet, thank you for the link. I didn't have the paperclip or wire one, only the f0f which requires breaking a micro usb cable.

No problem, but credit is due to @subcon959 since I got it from his sig. They are quite tiny. I got them yesterday and stripped some network cable at work, so I'll post some pics tonight or tomorrow of them.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Practically any should work. It's the type that's on the end of most phone charger cables. Especially cheaper cables have the correct type, I noticed. The more expensive cables use a design that is more sturdy and cannot be "deconstructed" so easily. You'll probably want to use the cheapest cable you can find anyway, so I guess that's a good thing.
Oh, yeah I used an old cable that was broken but probably wasn't a cheap one in the first place, the plastic parts inside are longer and wider. I'll look for a cheaper one I guess.

jaysea

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No problem, but credit is due to @subcon959 since I got it from his sig. They are quite tiny. I got them yesterday and stripped some network cable at work, so I'll post some pics tonight or tomorrow of them.
I noticed the "get your free jig" in his signature, but I cannot open it since I do not have enough posts on the forum yet.

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After making these, the only change I made was a small hump on the wires.

jig.jpg

0yeah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have ordered a right hand slider from aliexpress, ima noob so cant post site, below is what to search for, what do you think?

Original Right Left Slider With Flex Cable Fix Replacement part for Nintendo Switch NS joy-con controller with screwdriver

Blackwigg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Boy, that's a wonderful touch! Read you were selling this stuff at ebay, although I didn't find it. I am also from Brazil, so most of the stuff that's appearing now doesn't ship to my place. Since I am out of options, will probably print the thingverse version.

Last edited by Blackwigg,

alexj9626

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
Could someone help me with fof jig? I have the Micro USB stuff and the guide says: "short them together at the rear". How?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn