Should webMAN MOD be unloaded before accessing the PSN?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Windows_10_User, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Windows_10_User
    OP

Windows_10_User Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    Should webMAN MOD be unloaded before accessing the PSN or can I just use its R2 + Triangle button combo? To unload it I'd have to do the L3 + R3 + R2 button combo afterwards.

Just a curiosity, what will happen if I try to access PSN when its access is locked? Will I have any error message? Should I select PS3 DISC and/or set CCAPI . PS3MAPI to enabled on webMAN MOD's DEL CFW SYSCALLS? Also, do I have to use an Anti ban EBOOT for some games when going online even if I use webMAN MOD's R2 + Triangle button combo (and maybe the L3 + R3 + R2 button combo) afterwards?

EDIT: I removed PSN Patch's webMAN plugin and the L3 + R3 + R2 button combo didn't work but after installing it it's now working. Also, doing the L3 + R3 + R2 button combo before doing the R2 + Triangle button doesn't work.

Last edited by Windows_10_User, Oct 16, 2019 at 7:05 PM
  2. Windows_10_User
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    Anyone?

3. Naendow

Naendow Brick-Master

Jan 4, 2016
    Germany
    As far as I can tell webman is safe for online, but I would not risk it. Load your game, press L3, R3 and R2 together in XMB to deactivate webman and you should be fine. :)

Windows_10_User likes this.
  4. Windows_10_User
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    In another thread (on Reddit) an user told me he simply did the same button combo (R2 + Triangle) twice but if I do it a second time it won't work. Also, why doesn't webMAN MOD come with the PSN Patch's webMAN plugin (at least IIRC)? Could you answer my second paragraph?

5. Naendow

Naendow Brick-Master

Jan 4, 2016
    Germany
    Unfortunately, I am also pretty new to PS3 homebrew. If you try to access PSN while its locked, you get an error message. I do not know more than this, as I have all my games converted to PSN games, sorry.

6. Windows_10_User
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    Thanks. I was afraid of doing that even after having PSN Patch's plugin running (it booted with the PS3) but I guess with webMAN MOD I won't have that problem so I must be more careful now. Did you have problems running them after converting the games and are you running the PSN games from external or internal? It would be nice if there was a JB/ISO to PSN conversion compatibility list and an external PSN compatibility list.

Last edited by Windows_10_User, Oct 11, 2019
  7. Naendow

Naendow Brick-Master

Jan 4, 2016
    Germany
    Here is the compatibility list

I am running everything from internal as I have a 1TB hdd in my PS3. And I don't have that many games here to fill the whole storage.

A good tutorial for the conversion was pretty hard to find, as there are way too many tutorials and every single one is doing something different. I've used CFW2OFW Helper which did the job perfectly for me. Btw, it is relatively easy to se and also checks if a game is compatible before converting it. :)

Edit: Btw, now where I do not need webMAN for iso games anymore, I am using it to permanently disable cfw so I can directly go online. As long as you don't really use homebrew that often, it works great. And if you need to use anything homberew related, just disable wifi and activate CFW in the webMAN settings.

Last edited by Naendow, Oct 11, 2019
  8. Windows_10_User
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    Well, I only have 107 GB (I have a 250 GB model) left and I wanted to buy a 1.5 TB internal HDD and at least one external 2 TB HDD and at the time I'm running some games from a temporary external 1 TB HDD (I did a PS3 games list and I wanted to have more than 100 games and at the time I didn't know how to play PS1, PS2 and PSP games [even ROMS] and since then I also want some PS1, PS2 [not all of them are compatible, which is boring] and PSP games [the same thing as the PS2 games] so I don't know how much space I need). Actually, I jailbroke my PS3 last year (on August) and I remember seeing that list but since it's called CFW2OFW if got me confused (since my PS3 had no longer OFW installed but CFW so in my opinion its name should be something like "JB/ISO2PSN") but I tried some games anyway and I asked you about that just by curiosity. The best would be to run PSN games (as well as PS2 games, which is not possible) from an external HDD (NTFS would be even better) and even better along with their DLC and update (this also applies to the JB, ISO and bought games on disc) as well as the possibility of running homebrew like RetroArch (it looks like all of this is possible except for some games). Also, even if PSN games are smaller than JB/ISO games I guess I'm sparing some space (on the internal HDD, which is what really matters for me) because if I run the latter from an external HDD they'll create a game folder on the internal HDD but it will be smaller than the PSN version of the game. I'm not finding any recent PSN games on external compatibility list (I only found one or two which were 7/8 years old and didn't even have my games or at least my games' versions).

Unfortunately, not only my PS3 does a lot of noise (it looks like it must have dirt inside and the thermal paste should be changed but I don't even know how to replace the internal disc [or open the PS3 at all] and it looks like it's easier to do that than the the first two) but I also had controllers' problems (I still have when playing PS2 games but it looks like it's normal if I don't use an original DualShock 3 which is the case) but now it doesn't read dual-layered games (I bought more than 30 disc games [not to mention some PSN ones] and some of them are God of War: Ascension, Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us so now I can't play them) and I was thinking on downloading them but since they're dual-layered it would waste a lot of external HDD space (when I even bought them) and according to what I was told the PS3 will stop reading all of the remaining more than 30 non-dual-layered bough games on disc so I suppose it isn't worth it and I suppose I should get some help to replace the laser or whatever is messed up that makes the PSN not to read the dual-layered (ony these ones, for now) discs. Also, it looks like my TV has a permanent reflex on the borders (its controller is not working for some time and so I have to click on the TV buttons to turn it on/off and go to HDM1/2, which is annoying) since some weeks/months ago and before that it had a more serious problem which also consisted on having it's own reflex but in purple/green and it only lasted for some days and I only had it 1 year or so later. I'm also having problems in the PS2 and PSP.

EDIT: PSNDL has been down for some days. That's bad news.

Last edited by Windows_10_User, Oct 11, 2019
  9. Naendow

Naendow Brick-Master

Jan 4, 2016
    Germany
    That is mostly the point where I am not able to help you anymore. My knowledge of the PS3 is basically installing a CFW, how to go online with it and ripping games from BluRay and convert them into a PSN game. My PS3 Slim works like a charm, I've never used a third-party controller, just tried once to play PS2 games on my console and I never had any problems with my disc drive. Hopefully someone else can help you with your problems because it sounds like you have a PS3 FAT console that has some weird problems. :D

Oh, just a little tip: I wouldn't talk too much about downloading games. The mods don't like pirates.

10. Windows_10_User
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    Maybe it's simply getting old. It isn't my original one (which was also a PS2 Slim) and since I had it's warranty I think I got this one in 2012.

Well, downloading games I bought in the past and stopped working (even though it's apparently PS3's fault) is called piracy? And besides, since they promoting plugins/homebrew like webMAN MOD/multiMAN/sMAN/IRISMAN/ManaGunZ, etc., isn't it a little hypocrite on their side?

11. Naendow

Naendow Brick-Master

Jan 4, 2016
    Germany
    In general, no it is not allowed to download iso games that you own.

Well, you are kinda right. Most people probably use this tools for piracy. But that does not mean that there are no people just using it for creating backups. I also use multiMAN to dump my games. But that belongs to every backup loader, also on the Wii or on any other console.

Last edited by Naendow, Oct 11, 2019
  12. Windows_10_User
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    I always thought it was. And what about dumping them?

13. Naendow

Naendow Brick-Master

Jan 4, 2016
    Germany
    If you dump your own copy everything is fine. In fact, that is the only way to legally get a game as ISO.
    The problem is that you are not allowed to download content that you do not own. Of course, you can own a copy of a game and download the ISO, but the problem is that this downloaded ISO is a dump of another copy that you don't own. Of course, that is really dumb as they are identical to each other, but that is the law in pretty much every country.

14. Windows_10_User
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    I don't see a big difference but ok... And what about the remaining homebrew like RetroArch? Do they expect us to backup some games?

15. Naendow

Naendow Brick-Master

Jan 4, 2016
    Germany
    There is no difference, and I do not think that GBAtemp cares how you obtain your backups. But they would get legal issues if they would not look on such things.

In theory, you would need to dump every commercial rom, also for RetroArch. But tbh, nobody does that I think. Just don't talk about piracy and everyone here will be happy. :D

16. Windows_10_User
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    So is it ok to talk about PKG, RAP and RIF files? How can I obtain the PKG files of the PSN games and DLC I bought?

17. Naendow

Naendow Brick-Master

Jan 4, 2016
    Germany
    Afaik you can obtain the pkg files legally over the PS Store servers, but that does not count for the RAP and RIF files. Unfortunately, I can't link any database that lists the PKG download links because there is none which does not include RAPs and RIFs, which, again, would be illegal.

18. Windows_10_User
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    Do they go to the package folder and only if I background download them? I think the RIF files are downloaded or even the RAP ones which are converted to RIP afterwards but I've read it's possible to convert the RIF to RAP.

19. Naendow

Naendow Brick-Master

Jan 4, 2016
    Germany
    You download them via webbrowser. As I said, I am not allowed to link to the databases here.

20. Windows_10_User
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    I know.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted