Should Nintendo support Unity 3D for normal consumer hardware?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by DarkOrb, Mar 10, 2017.

1. DarkOrb
    OP

DarkOrb GBAtemp Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    Germany
    Hey,

I'm a hobby dev. I love to create my own art assets in Blender 3D, Photoshop and prototypes and games in Unity 3D. Since Switch's release, I`m really appealed to get one. It's one of the most powerful handhelds out there and I can't wait for Homebrew support so I can create my own content and see, what this console is capable of.

Today I asked myself: Wouldn't Nintendo be better off, if they add Unity 3D support to normal consumer hardware? I mean, homebrew made without an official SDK leads to piracy sooner or later because if hacker found a way to play homebrew (the only appeal to find a vulnerability in the system is homebrew support), it's only a small step to piracy. If Nintendo let everyone create content for free, there won't be much appeal to hack the console.

What do you think? Is this a good idea? I mean, Nintendo could constrain certain classes, functions and make variables private which are vulnerable and make them exclusive for Nintendo licensed developer. This way, people won't find a vulnerability in the switch with Unity 3D C# code. Also this way, people could have their own Homebrew Community which is great. I understand, that Nintendo don't want shitty content in their eshop, so why not demand a fee from developers if they want to sell their app in the eShop. If the dev paid the fee, Nintendo could start a preview process.

Something like PS Vita's PSM programm but without a sandbox (where you only can use limited hardware).

Last edited by DarkOrb, Mar 10, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice