Should I update?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by DoJo_Master, Jul 20, 2014.

?

Should I update my 3ds to version 4.5.0

1. NO!

12.5%
  2. Yeah go ahead... Gateway will still work fine

87.5%
  1. DoJo_Master
    OP

DoJo_Master GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2013
    Canada
    Hi, I just buyer an 2012 3ds xl with version 4.1.
    I am currently waiting for my gateway 3ds to be shipped but until then I have some question

I want to play my legit animal crossing new leaf on my 3ds but it requires version 4.5 to play, I heard 4.5 still works with gateway what would be the effects of updating.

Also if I'm in gateway mode does it remove the prompt to update when I want to play animal crossing?
    If so I heard that if your in gateway mode and you play a physical copy of the game gateway thinks the game is cryuptaded because it has data saves it didn't right and deletes them... So if gateway mode deletes physical game saves could I just exit gateway mode and update to 4.5 so I can play animal crossing with out it breaking the save?

Main question if I update to 4.5.0-9U will gateway still work on my 3ds?
    Also should I use the 2.2 version of gateway or is it way to buggy still.

~Thanks in advanced! Much appreciated...

2. ScarletCrystals

ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    Gateway works equally well on 4.1 to 4.5, so no worries there.
    And yes, gateway classic mode will spoof the firmware, so the update message won't ever show up..
    Also, there is a possibility that your save file will be erased if you alternate playing between gateway mode and non-gateway mode. So if you played in gateway mode before then just keep using gateway mode to play it.
    Finally, there aren't too many bug with 2,2 that I'm aware of. I'd love to see 3.0 update from gateway soon but in the meantime 2,2 works fine.

3. DoJo_Master
    OP

May 7, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for the help Ill update it now then :D
    but let me get one more thing straight for another game for instance lets say a game that updates you higher then 4.5 and has saves on it..
    Would it be wise to play that game in gateway mode to exit the update prompt? Would it delete the save? You may have touched on this but I really want to double check as I hate loosing progress in games...

(kk last thing also your saying there is no technical problems if I update to 4.5 like I don't loose any benefits and everything will work fine, sorry for repeating everything but I really want to double check this stuff)

4. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois

Actually, I remember some people reporting issues with 4.1 and Gateway but that may have been fixed by now.. can't remember but no, updating to 4.5 won't mess up anything. I did it myself from 4.2-4.5 awhile back.

5. ScarletCrystals

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    Yes, it is perfectly safe to update (provided you are absolutely certain that the cartridge contains a 4.5 update. DO NOT update past 4.5 as gateway will not work)
    You aren't really losing anything by updating to 4.5. You don't really gain anything either though so...keep that in mind.

Also, the reason that some games get their saves deleted is because they use a newer method of encryption, sdk6. Your 4.5 3ds can only create saves using sdk4. So when trying to load a game outside gateway mode (ie. on another 3ds with higher firmware than 4.5), it sees the sdk4 saves as corrupted and deletes them. So as long as you don't use the cartridge on another 3ds with higher firmware you shouldn't have any problem with corrupted saves, even if you do alternate between gateway and non-gateway mode (although it's still safer to just stick with one)

And what do you mean exiting updating prompt in gateway mode? Gateway classic spoofs the firmware so you can play games requiring a higher firmware without updating. It won't give you a update prompt (assuming you're using gateway omega)

6. DoJo_Master
    OP

May 7, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks guys for helping! Really helped me, this community is great!

7. ScarletCrystals

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    No probs.
    Animal Crossing is awesome \ o /