Should I switch from Gateway to Pasta?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Dont Worry About it, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Dont Worry About it
    OP

Dont Worry About it GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    I have a N3DS on sysNAND 9.0 with a copy of CN and a Gateway cart. Should I switch to Pasta?

2. innercy

innercy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 22, 2006
    yes u should

3. CIAwesome526

CIAwesome526 Im ugly and im proud

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    no, if you have gateway keep it.

4. Scarlet

Scarlet Scarlet Sword

GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    You've already given Gateway your money, so it's not like you're undercutting them any by selling it on if that's the intent... Anyway, Gateway has emuNAND and therefore Amiibo functionality. I'd keep it just for those, I personally use GW on my N3DS for 9.5 Classic Mode so I can use my Shulk Amiibo on Xenoblade 3D :P

EDIT: Just as an added extra, it's worth noting you can run both of them together, as they don't clash once Gateway is installed to MSET. I'm sure there are plenty of people around on this forum to help you through that if it's what you want.

5. SirByte

SirByte GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Canada
    On my O3DS i have Pasta-MSET version and Gateway (MSET) and I can switch at will by just swapping out the sdcards. On N3DS that is made very difficult by Nintendo, so I'd stick with Gateway (and occasionally switch the Paste if you feel the urge to play GBA or DSiWare games).

6. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Pasta lets you play injected VC GBA titles and Dsiware, my understanding is that Gateway can't do this, correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise you can do just about all the same things aside from that. N3DS can't yet run cakesfw, but o3ds can, and cakes allows you to install emunands too, so the one ups gateway had on the softmod scene are quickly dwindling.

Soon enough the New 3DS will get able to install emunands via cakes as well, but yet.

7. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    The only things you gain is screen shot, debug, eshop, gba support, dsi support, full ninjahax access, plugins (like language change) and the option to use sdf on 7.x carts.

If those things matter to you then switch

MattKimura and thaikhoa like this.
  8. quantumboy

quantumboy Casual Hacker, Avid Dreamer

Jun 26, 2013
    United States
    San Francisco, CA
    What is the newest version of emunand fw I can install on n3ds emunand, and how? I think my sys nand for that system is 9.0

9. Krupa

Krupa Member

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2015
    You may want to sell your gateway before CFW becomes the superior choice.

10. Melon__Bread

Melon__Bread ~It's A Magik~

Dec 9, 2013
    United States
    Since you have a N3DS, NO!
    GW has the most features for someone with a N3DS

11. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    Things you can do on cfw you can't do on n3ds gw: screen shot, debug, eshop, gba support, dsi support, full ninjahax access, plugins (like language change) and the ability to rip crt data on 6.x & 7.x carts.

Things you can do on gw you can't do on n3ds cfw: emunand & .3ds loader

I'm sorry what where you saying about features?

12. Melon__Bread

Melon__Bread ~It's A Magik~

Dec 9, 2013
    United States
    I guess I should have been more clear, do not give up your GW card to go FULL pasta yet. (Which I may have misunderstood, but I think that is what he is asking). Keep using Pasta with GW

13. joeh1974

joeh1974 GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2012
    United States
    I have both GW and SKY cards, and now Pasta installed. I really became interested in Pasta as it was a solution for me to play Ambassador games on my N3DS without trying to do a system transfer from my O3DS (which would have required me to do a FW update). Now I really love that Pasta has the ability to play injected GBA roms.

Personally, I found it to always be a bit of a pain to load up either CN or Zelda, then take it out to put in the GW card. Since then I purchased a 64Gb microsd and installed all of the games as cia files. Now I only need to leave CN in the system, and can play 3DS, GBA, DSiWare, and NES games without swapping cards.
    I do agree that installing cia files are cumbersome, but I just did it in batch prior to going to sleep one night. By the next morning, they were all installed.