Hardware Should I perform a system transfer?

Should I perform a system transfer?

• Total voters

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting my North American 3DS XL on the 19th (or 18th if we get it a day earlier), and for the first time, I'm not selling the handheld I already own, meaning I will actually keep my Nintendo 3DS. (Best console I've had; sentimental reasons. I'm tired of quickly skipping through so many consoles. I want these two to last. Oh and plus, I need pogeymans transfers)

I'm also getting a $20 eShop giftcard, which I will use to get Colors! 3D and Pushmo.

As far as I know, you can't exactly transfer a separate application/eShop game on its own to a different system (How lame of you, Ninty. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) but you can perform an entire system transfer which will wipe out the source system completely.

Now there's the thing: Having said that I want to keep both systems, it seems inconvenient to wipe out one of them completely, because I want to use both.
Also, it is definitely about a million times smarter to get Colors! 3D on the XL, rather than the ordinary 3DS (obvious reasons), but, because Nintendo has a retarded "fill up your 3DS with a certain amount of money" system, that also means I'll have to get Pushmo on the XL.

So I'm gonna have all my Ambassador stuff, Freakyforms (piece of garbage anyway), one of the G&W classics, and a bunch of other stuff on one 3DS, and only Pushmo and Colors! 3D on the other. I just wish I could freely transfer individual titles. :/

Anyway I do find this slightly annoying, and I need you guys to shed some light on the situation. Should I move everything to my XL and keep my old 3DS just blank, or should I continue to use both equally and simply purchase different content on each? (Damn you, lack of an account system!)

Thanks in advance and excuse the overhype and paranoia.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not try the xl on for size and see which you find a better fit? if the XL is more comftable then do a system transfer, if you find the original a better fit for you continue on

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I say don't if you value your saves, if not go for it!

Well hang on, for eShop downloaded content, aren't the saves also transferred? Otherwise it isn't a complete transfer :unsure: .
Also for 3DS retail games, the saves are on the cart itself, am I right?
eshop content saves are on the system and cannot be transfered, and we don't know why. It is the same for a DSi to 3DS transfer, your right about the cart saves though.

Reactions: 1 person

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Well hang on, for eShop downloaded content, aren't the saves also transferred? Otherwise it isn't a complete transfer :unsure: .
eshop content saves are on the system and cannot be transfered, and we don't know why. It is the same for a DSi to 3DS transfer, your right about the cart saves though.

This is total nonsense! I have the 3DS XL and have done a full transfer, everything including eShop saves transfer, though you have to either exchange the SD cards or copy the contents through a PC to the new SD card. It does in fact transfer anything there is to transfer, even the amount of times you used a demo (this is from first hand experience). My save data of the ambassador games still are there, the same goes for Zen Pinball.
When you get the XL, the old 3DS still has its uses, but you will be using the XL mainly, I can promise you that, so do the transfer B-)!

Reactions: 1 person

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is total nonsense! I have the 3DS XL and have done a full transfer, everything including eShop saves transfer, though you have to either exchange the SD cards or copy the contents through a PC to the new SD card. It does in fact transfer anything there is to transfer, even the amount of times you used a demo (this is from first hand experience). My save data of the ambassador games still are there, the same goes for Zen Pinball.
When you get the XL, the old 3DS still has its uses, but you will be using the XL mainly, I can promise you that, so do the transfer B-)!
I did not know that, is seems Ninty changed the transfer rules, cool!

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I did not know that, is seems Ninty changed the transfer rules, cool!

As far as I know this was always the case, but I am glad I could provide everyone with the correct information. The transfer always only transferred the on board memory, but at the same time transfer the system identifiers which make the SD information automatically linked to the new 3DS. So, literally taken, it does not transfer the data itself on the SD, though it transfers its link. This has always been advertised by Nintendo, though I understand the confusion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.