Hacking Should I get CBHC?

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just modded my wiiU and the guide said that I'd have to enable CFW everytime I reboot, but I could install Cold Boot Hackchii so have permanent CFW. But I've seen some people say it's dangerous to install CBHC? should I do it? also will backups work if I decide not to install CBHC or will I have to renable CFW everytime before trying to start up the game? I think I may have bricked my old wiiU because I may have had CBHC on it and I wanted to sell my wiiU. So I thought I could just format like normal and it would be in "virgin" mode again. I guess I didn't read the fine print and deleting the game I used to install Hackchii was needed or else I'd brick.

So basically all CBHC does is make it boot into CFW without having to load hackchii everytime? I remember when my old wiiU was softmodded it would start up with a black screen and some text. I'm assuming that was probably CBHC injecting itself?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It is an old discussion.
"CBHC is 200% safe if you follow all rules! All bricks are user error!" vs. "Regular Haxchi has no risks at all and one click on each boot isn't to hard!"

This topic is almost guaranteed to bring up some "religious controversy" – though I hope to have prevented it this time by mentioning it.

It just depends on your preferences. https://wiiu.hacks.guide/ offers you multiple options (Haxchi, CBHC, Mocha)

If you or anybody else does something stupid like Factory Reset aka "Format System Memory" with CBHC installed, the Wii U can only be revived with a hardmod (given a backup or at least the OTP.bin files exists). Knowing myself and my forgetfulness I chose to play safe with regular Haxchi which I don't need to use 99% of the time since all my eShop games are legit and dumped disc games have universal legit ticket. None of my games needs CFW loaded for starting.

You could also wait for FailST to be released.

If you choose CBHC make sure to 100% read, understand and follow the "Don't […]" rules.

In any case:

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

danny19901

Trophies
XP
Country
I've had Haxchi but I then just went CBHC and twice to be honest bought a ds game to get CBHC I always recommend people to go CBHC it's easier has pretty much everything and all you have to do is turn your console on and it's a 100% easier and quicker to access the stuff I need without taking extra steps

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've probably had cbhc for about 5 years now, and I play my wii u daily almost. I've never had a problem. there are three things that require mocha (think there's a fourth that I'm forgetting): installing indexiine seems to require mocha, because when I tried installing it on cbhc, all I got was thrown into the mii maker channel, which should happen after exiting the hb launcher. however, the hb launcher would not open unless I installed indexiine through mocha. now, it works through cbhc. browserhax also doesn't work through cbhc (if that matters much like indexiine), so you have to use mocha if you ever wanted to use a browser exploit (except indexiine, but this must be installed through mocha for it to work in cbhc). if you use mocha to check firmware or something, exiting out will cause a black screen unless you enable syshaxxml in mocha's ini file. syshax.xml is a copy of system.xml for when you install cbhc. it's the original file, and it must be enabled (i.e. 1) to work with mocha. lastly, savemii mod -- one of the options doesn't work with cbhc. it won't be able to detect the sd card or it will think the file is already present when it's not. mocha doesn't have this problem. the last one is the only one that's not fixable, but it's easy to accept, since mocha is easy to get into.

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah I think I bricked my wiiU because either I deleted the e-shop game needed to mod it, and I think there was something else integral you can't delete when you hyave CBHC. So if I just have regular haxchii installed is it safe to do a system format if I ever need to?

danny19901

Trophies
XP
Country
Would I have to buy a new VC game in order to inject haxchii again or can I just redownload the same one I got from the e-shop and use that one again?
You can redownload it as long as it's not already on system and being used for CBHC as it's possible it could overwrite and maybe brick your system but if your just setting up a fresh console here's my best advice for you download DS game place DS game in last screen inside a folder with other useless apps name it don't open make it red if you want place the game in there and then set up your CBHC then your good to go never delete the CBHC file or you will brick and leave the folder alone etc... You will be perfectly fine

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can redownload it as long as it's not already on system and being used for CBHC as it's possible it could overwrite and maybe brick your system but if your just setting up a fresh console here's my best advice for you download DS game place DS game in last screen inside a folder with other useless apps name it don't open make it red if you want place the game in there and then set up your CBHC then your good to go never delete the CBHC file or you will brick and leave the folder alone etc... You will be perfectly fine

Just out of curiosity what happens if you download the game from the e-shop again? it seems like you're saying if you do that with CBCH you will brick? does that apply to just regular hackchii?

danny19901

Trophies
XP
Country
Just out of curiosity what happens if you download the game from the e-shop again? it seems like you're saying if you do that with CBCH you will brick? does that apply to just regular hackchii?
That doesn't happen with Haxchii as it doesn't need your DS Game and I'm not 100% sure if you will brick your console but a majority of the time on pretty much anything if you have a file and try redownloading a file it would just overwrite the file which in theory would mess up CBHC I class the DS Game to be just a donation to CBHC to just use and you never get it back is how I see it but I've had 2 Wii U's and CBHC both and never to this day had any issues

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
You can't download the game twice when it is already used for cbhc. So, nothing will happens then.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can't download the game twice when it is already used for cbhc. So, nothing will happens then.
One could install the same title although it is still there with homebrew software and I think this would be a brick since it wouldn't been a legit title with WUP installer.

My answer is: If somebody is going to use CBHC, they should simply leave the CBHC title alone. Do not even try to move it to USB, do not try to delete it, do not try to overwrite it. According to Github release notes CBHC should have some protection against such attempts. I wouldn't try it.

If you want to change something, use a different title, delete, move, redownload, remove NNID, "Format System Memory", System Transfer or whatever idea of messing with the CBHC title comes to mind: Please run the CBHC uninstaller BEFORE.

Geez. I wish this thing didn't exist. Hopefully the cold boot solution of FailST will not have any such problems, rules and warnings to end this discussion once and for all.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
So why does formatting with regular hackchii not cause a brick but CBHC does?
Because the regular haxchi isn't coldbooted. Cbhc changes the system.xml to the ds vc game (the one which is used for cbhc). And this is technically your os. The only way to boot the console correctly. And if your console get formatted with installed cbhc, you will brick. The same applies, by the way, when a pirated game is used. Pirated game=brick (when you use cbhc ofc).

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Because the regular haxchi isn't coldbooted. Cbhc changes the system.xml to the ds vc game (the one which is used for cbhc). And this is technically your os. The only way to boot the console correctly. And if your console get formatted with installed cbhc, you will brick. The same applies, by the way, when a pirated game is used. Pirated game=brick (when you use cbhc ofc).

Why does it brick if you use a pirated game?

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Why does it brick if you use a pirated game?
To do this, I need to briefly digress and explain what tickets are and how they differ:
Every game needs a ticket so that the console knows that the game is "real" and "tolerated" by Nintendo. Every disc game also comes with a ticket - however, Nintendo overlooked the fact that you can also install games with that disc ticket! That means you can download games illegally from Nintendo's server (or dump them legally) and just include the ticket from the disc, since it's always the same (since it would be quite expensive to make each disc "unique").
-> Installation via WUP installer works and the game looks like a real digital game for Wii U -> not even sigpatches are needed!

However, for some eShop games (and thus also VC games) there is no disc, ergo these are only released in the eShop => there is no legal ticket. Here one resorts to other methods and simply forged/faked a ticket (described here), however, this leads to the fact that the signature is invalid. That means you have to disable signature checks to install and launch - that's what sigpatches do.
Legal eShop tickets can also NOT be shared, as they are unique for each console!

What haxchi does now is swap the content of the VC game with its own code -> if your VC game is not legally purchased, an error will appear at startup prompting you to shut down the console.

Coldboot Haxchi does nothing but load this VC game at every startup -> so if the game was not legally purchased, this error will be displayed at EVERY startup, making it impossible to boot into the menu -> the console has a fullbrick, since unusable. The only way to fix this is with a hardmod and a NAND backup.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.