Originality

Chibi-neko
OP
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Thought this might be an interesting question to ask, especially since I've been thinking about it for the last couple months.

Should I get an iPhone 5 when my contract is up next month?

A little background, I've been looking at 4G phones for the last year (well, LTE... Still too early for 4G) even though I'm not lucky enough to be in one of the two test cities for LTE in the UK. Now EE is about to open the floodgates for 4G across the country (or at least 16 cities) so now would be a good time to pick up a 4G compatible phone, especially considering that I'm a bit of a power user of Android smartphones. I'm the kind of cat that would definitely make use of the faster speeds. The only thing I don't know yet is if 4G will be available on unlocked handsets (SIM only deals) or how much it will cost to get unlimited data (since most data plans in the UK are for 1GB at the most, and I use a lot more every month).

On the other hand, I do have a Samsung Galaxy S3 (unlocked) and I am making great use from its quad core awesomeness. Unfortunately, the UK only got the crippled version (1GB RAM, no LTE) whilst most of the world got the full version (2GB RAM, LTE). From what I've seen, the SGS3 is far better in terms of media and functionality, but the IP5 has better hardware for being a phone and are compatible with my headphones media controls. I also have an iPad 2, so the app market is already open to me and I'm not missing out on anything much.

I've seen the argument that the IP5 is just a stretched out 4S with a faster processor, but consider that I've never used an iPhone before so the IP5 is much more of a significant upgrade to me (disregarding the whole SGS3 thing).

So, this question is for all you techies and/or iDevice fanboys out there: should I get an iPhone 5?
And, by extension, iOS vs Android (not looking for a flame war, just will iPhone give me any benefit at all to what Android has to offer).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Short answer would be "No", long answer would be "Why if you already have an SG3?", BUT! All things considered, you could, even if only to experiment with it. You have a crippled SG3, which is a shame since if you had the proper edition, it would be no contest, at least to me. You never had contact with iOS, so if you can afford it then it's a good idea for comparison's sake. I personally don't like it, but if you feel like testing the handset, you just may like it.

Originality

Chibi-neko
OP
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I do have contact with iOS - everything I posted was from my iPad 2. I've also got some couple hundred apps on it - I make good use of all my gadgets. I just don't have experience with iPhones, so I was hoping for opinions from someone who has/had one for comparisons.

As for being able to afford it... That's never an issue. I might not get paid much, but I'm an expert at saving up and making use of what I have. That's why my room has a line of computers, laptops and game consoles all hooked up to the two monitors on my desk.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would get a 4S you'll get a good deal on them now that the iPhone 5 is out. Plus the iPhone 5 atm is stupidly overpriced I think its like £46 if you want the phone for free and thats only like 300 odd minutes. I got a 4S for £34 a month with 2000 minutes and unlimited internet.

Got it slightly wrong its unlimited minutes, still stupidly expensive though
£26 a month, but the cost of the phone is £250 and you get unlimited minutes and the price of the phone goes down £50 for every £5 your willing to spend a month e.g £31pm will cost you £199 for the phone, £36pm and the phone will cost you £149 etc etc

EDIT:
Plus if you get a 4S soon theres a chance it'll still be on 5.1.1 which means you can still Jailbreak it untethered

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I can suggest is just try the iPhone out and see if it grows on you more than the SGS3. I agree with Foxi, the uncrippled SGS3 beats the shit out of the iPhone 5 and the crippled version is still up there.

Originality

Chibi-neko
OP
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
£529 for the handset only, £26-33 per month on Tmo contract. That doesn't tell me what it'll be for the "free" upgrade to 4GEE. I expect it to be around £40 per month afterwards, which I'm not willing to go that high.

I'm not considering the 4S because that really is a downgrade. For me, the main factor is 4G. Second is the promise of better call quality on iPhone 5. Third is the simpler design of iOS... But that's a downside too.

Either way, I'm not getting rid of my SGS3. I'll use that for media and Google Maps, and the iPhone 5 for music and calls and maybe certain games (Ace Attourney HD). That is, if I get an iPhone 5.

Where are the iDevice fanboys in all of this?

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The iPhone 5 apparently has sub-par maps because they decided to ditch Google Maps and use their own. Of course the simple workaround is to download the Google Maps app, but it's just retarded to not have it integrated in iOS6.

And if you've owned a previous generation of iPhone, you may have several accessories for it such as recharging cables, external iPhone speakers and clock radios (iHome, etc.), which won't work anymore with the iPhone 5 because it uses a 30-pin connector. You would have to buy a Lightning to 30-pin adapter in order to use them again (Apple does not provide them for free).

I currently own an iPhone, but I've recently come to dislike them as a company more and more. Great product, but I'm getting tired of their bullshit. Since getting an iPhone 5 would require me to buy adapters for all my iPhone accessories, it kind of defeats the purpose of sticking with the iPhone. When the time comes for me to get a new phone, I'm jumping off the Apple ship.

Reactions: 1 person

retrodoctor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had every iPhone solely because I like them. Figure out which phone you personally like and buy it. Getting other's opinions won't really do much work.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

zygie

Trophies
XP
Country
Personally, I have iOS devices but never an iPhone. I dunno, I just don't like Apple devices as a phone. As everything else they're great, multimedia, games, but seems like you already have a capable device (iPad 2) for that.

As for iOS vs Android, the App Store is what iOS has going for it. There are some games/apps exclusive to the App Store and if you absolutely need some of those on a phone, then go iOS. And it's pretty much optimized for the hardware it comes with too. Google Play has alternatives but sometimes it's just not as... polished, especially when it comes to games.

So yeah, my personal preference:
Phone - Android
Multimedia device - iOS

finkmac

Trophies
Website
www.epicwinrar.com
XP
Country
Canada
Why not? It has LTE, there is no "crippled" model, It's much sturdier than that "SGS3", Has a higher GeekBench score (doesn't mean much)… And don't forget the "Sapphire"!

Or is that too fanboy for your needs?

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
People keep complaining about the Lightning connector. I agree that it is a huge pain in the ass for all of your 30pin products and the adaptor doesn't serve much justice other than being a $39 piece of junk, but frankly speaking... It is about time Apple changed the adaptor.

The 30pin has been around for ~9years. This standard hasn't changed for any iOS device until the iPhone 5. It's about time Apple scraped that bulky connector and get their hands on a small and more reliable one. They could definitely have went with MicroUSB though. $.$

To OP:
Try the iPhone 5 first and see if you like it or not. Don't listen too much to all the fandroid/iSheep comments on the Internet (as a whole) and just try to see if you like it FIRST.

The iPhone 5 is a little too long for my liking, especially when they kept the same breadth. This has its positives, but some people just don't like longer screens.

And since you have the so-called crippled GS3, I don't find it THAT wise to swap. You already have an iPad anyway, so you're not lacking out in iOS.

Unless you really really want Siri and a 2X faster iOS device (which is only slightly faster than your "crippled" S3 in real life performance unless you are doing some serious stuff like editing/programming etc), I don't find it wise to swap.

Reactions: 2 people

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
In my home we have numerous iOS and Android devices, and my opinion is it doesn't hurt to try it out. The thing that bothers me about the iPhone personally is the fact that you cannot download stuff to your phone, which I depend on a lot for school. It also offers no expansion of memory with micro-sd cards, which can create worry in your mind when you are running out of space.

The one main thing I DO like about the iPhone (and iOS in general), is that there OS is very, very user friendly and it looks pretty too. Above all, I prefer Android, but I say this because I have experienced both types of phones and tablets.

Reactions: Originality

tofast4u

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iPhone 5 is great and if your friends have it, its even better. With features like iMessage, and Facetime its the best social purpose device.

Originality

Chibi-neko
OP
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
This thread is kinda old. I did end up getting the iPhone 5 64GB White, and it's left me with mixed feelings. I'm constantly left weighing pros and cons between me 2 phones and comparing them.

All I'll say for now is that it is not "the best social purpose device" due to how so many social integrations just don't work fluidly, compared to Android. It does, however, work very well as a media device.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol