Should I get a Switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by jchillin111, Aug 24, 2018.

1. jchillin111
    OP

jchillin111 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2018
    United States
    Im honestly just not sure. I really think all of the games look super damn good, but its definitely an investment.

Can some people who own it tell me some of the pros/cons they've had with the system?

I also hope Black Ops 4 and its DLC are released onto the switch, but I'm not sure if that'll be a reality.

Thanks again.

2. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    dont count on any COD game tbh and if your into cod like games were better off in ps4 or xb1 rather than switch tough.

the entire point is you like nintendo games enough? if your awnser is i prefer online games like cod and mature games and such then no switch isnt for you.

thorasgar likes this.
  3. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Pros: Nintendo games
    Cons: Not much else other than indies. Got to pay the Nintendo Tax.

4. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Japanese devs are taking notice of the system now, we are seeing a bunch of "AA" games coming from over there more and more. Releases from western AAA budgets are gonna be limited though.

5. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    I guess it depends on what type of games you like. FPS may be a better for on the vita, if you want a handheld. Mariokart8 is super dope and so is Kirby. I play those with my kids. I have a feeling my oldest will try to sneak a Kirby session in without me. Nintendo consoles/handhelds have always leaned towards “family-friendly” type games. Also, take into consideration if you plan to hack the switch. There is a high chance you’ll get banned if you do. Do you like online games, or is that not a deal breaker?

6. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    vita is dead and never had much fps games to begin with so no the vita is far worse choice than the switch.

7. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    Main advantage is Nintendo games and semi-portability.

Its the system I’ve played the most this summer as I can take it to cooler parts of the house.

Downside is that getting ports can be hit or miss or delayed, performance is generally worse, more expensive (keep an eye out for deals), battery life isn’t the best (why I said ‘semi-portable’) and worst of all.....they’re pushing indie games (genuine argument I’ve read).

Overall though the system has grown on me.

8. JellyPerson

JellyPerson https://discord.gg/BMVma8j

Banned
    Jul 26, 2017
    Korea, North
    Pyongyang
    by all means, if you're into portable last gen ports, go right ahead

9. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    We can let the OP decide. The vita has many games still coming out, here. Since black ops was specifically mentioned and one is available for the vita, I brought it up. There are many “dead” systems that people still love and play. Look at the gameboy advance and genesis. As long as there are players, systems will never die.

10. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    but the OP wants to buy a new console with upcoming games and not one at the end of life for sure, also the COD on the vita was awful, it was panned by everyone, players and critics alike, and tbh i think with doom and wolfenstein and such the switch already has more decent fps than the vita had in its entire lifetime and even now jap games are being cancelled for the vita due to soy cutting vita cartridges on Europe and usa only japan will remain for a tiny bit more, vita community is all going to the switch.

11. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Yes.

What games do you like the look of? I've mostly been playing indies, apart from Mario Odyssey which was pretty great.

12. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    For sure join the party then come back on here and ask how to not get banned and then complain that your console is bricked because you're stuck in rcm with a dead battery. Oh and don't forget ripping on TX that seems to be a thing on here. Last but not least the great NSP vs XCI wars yea!

13. Shalashaska98

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2018
    United States
    Just get it, play all the games you want. If you got tired, just sell it.

14. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Pros:
    - awesome portability. It fits in my purse.
    - awesome flexibility. It is very satisfying to say "let's play on the tv" or "let's take it with us to the park".
    - very personal. Handheld mode lets me play big console games on my own personal screen.
    - convenient multiplayer. It is very impressive to tell a friend that you can play two player by simply splitting the control scheme.
    - usb c. Convenient despite not following protocol.
    - able to use sd card. I dislike cellphones which dont allow storage expansion. I never want to see that become a thing on gaming devices.

Cons:
    - heats up a lot, particularly in dock. It does it's best but you feel bad for the little fan.
    - cannot trust third party docks
    - joycons are kind of difficult to juggle around when you have multiple switch consoles and need to play multiplayer.
    - joycons are SMOL. Even for someone with tiny hands like me... hard to play multiplayer.
    - cannot use third party input devices... I really need a mouse for Skyrim...
    - tiny screen. Yeah...you won't use the kickstand.
    - dock causes issues with various software. No idea why. Everything bugs out with the dock mode at some point. Use the included hdmi cable and hope for the best.
    - little no to online interactions. No reason to purchase online subscription...
    - No interesting console features. Switch has gone back to the stone age with no main menu themes, friend codes, no music player, no camera, no stylus, no friend interaction, no free software, no internet browser, no netflix/hulu/plex/etc, ...god just nothing.
    - games dont actually use the touchscreen. I havent seen a single game use it outside of keyboard...

The switch has a lot of potential. I'm worried that Nintendo will make it rot like Sony did the Vita. This is a fantastic product that deserves attention because it is very consumer friendly outside of online.

Last edited by Pluupy, Aug 27, 2018