Should i buy extra OLED Vita

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by AngryGeek416, Feb 2, 2014.

1. AngryGeek416
    OP

AngryGeek416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 17, 2012
    Argentina
    I just bought one like a week ago and after all this news about the new shitty LCD models coming over to the UK and eventually NorthAmerica i was thinking about getting another one while they are in stock just for backup purposes likely keep it in the box till i ever need it. What do you think?

P.S. Sony is disgrace reducing the quality of this beautiful screen.

2. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    If you got the spare money on the hip and really fancy the screen that much go ahead, you never know, you maybe able to make some money selling it on one day

3. goober

goober GBAtemp Regular

Jun 14, 2006
    United States
    Sony likes to play with screens on their handhelds. Sometimes with great success, sometimes with head-scratching stupidity. This won't be the first time the Vita gets a screen overhaul and given how long the original model is out, I really doubt it will become a hot commodity because a lot of people unfortunately think size/weight > screen/features.

4. AngryGeek416
    OP

Nov 17, 2012
    Argentina
    I don't care about reselling the vita i just want one just incase because they will be discontinued i doubt i could ever go back to LCD...but you're right about a 3rd revision most likely happening but even then i don't think they would go back to OLED maybe something different all together.

5. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    There are two things you should be aware with OLED Vita,

* Start and Select buttons are small and hard to press.
    * 1 hour less battery life than Vita Slim. OLED consumes more power than LCD.

If you don't mind it, grab one.

6. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    "datOLED" again

I wonder how many people have seen the new Vita's LCD screen so they can make an accurate judgement as to what's actually better.

Possibly unrelated, but I have an OLED Vita and a 2012 nexus7, and the nexus's LCD screen absolutely crushes the Vita. Its not even close -- better colors, clarity, black contrast etc.

People should trust their eyes, not Neogaf's hivemind.

WiiCube_2013 and Xexyz like this.
  7. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    That's what I was thinking! :)

8. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Correction, Vita Slim uses regular LCD screen, not LED.

LED has brighter white and darker black than regular LCD.

Snailface likes this.
  9. zeello

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

Apr 15, 2013
    United States
    holy shit, I have a 2012 Nexus 7.... I noticed it is way better than the 3DS XL's screen...

so I assumed the Vita 2000 screen is around the same as the Nexus while the Vita 1000 is slightly better.
    Looks like I assumed wrong!
    How funny... and sad.

But if Nexus 7 screen is better than Vita 1k... then does that mean we can all settle for Vita 2k.. or does it make it even more important than ever to get that OLED??

also

* Vita 2k can be charged using any micro USB cable

* Vita 2k has bigger grips and smaller rear touch
    [​IMG]

10. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    The new LCD Vita is fine. I won't buy one because I'm still very happy with my OG Vita.

11. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    If the price is right. Otherwise I'd say there isn't a big difference. You're buying the console to play the games, not look at specs.

The problem with all kinds of comparisons is the general "I know X is better than Y". If you don't happen to have Y to compare the X, you're going to be happy with the X. I can say that my PSV-1004 is fantastic, but I don't see a reason not to recommend the 2000 series if the price is right. FYI, I bought my PSV new for about 125€ at the time in late 2012.

So to sum up the post, buy it if you want it. The LCD isn't bad tech, but neither is the OLED. The best way to decide is to compare them one on one.

12. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    If it looks better for you on an original Vita model then go for it, in the end it's your decision.

I'm thinking getting a PS Vita TV if it ever comes to UK.

13. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    The vita's LCD screen is probably the best LCD of any mobile gaming device to date.

14. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    there will probably be a better vita 3k model, i wouldn't buy an extra vita OLED just for backup purposes.

15. marcus134

marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2011
    Canada
    Québec
    buying replacement parts when needed is smarter than buying a second system now.

Cyberdrive and AngryGeek416 like this.
  16. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I would prefer the LCD model over the OLED, because LCDs don't burn-in easily like OLED does. My Samsung Galaxy S4 has the status bar "unburned in" with the clock and battery digits burned into the screen. It makes watching videos distracting. I'd rather not have various gaming HUDs burned into my Vita screen, so I would go for an LCD model, personally.

17. AngryGeek416
    OP

Nov 17, 2012
    Argentina
    lol @ the people in here saying in one way or another that the LCD is as good or better then the OLED . My buddy has a Red 2K from japan TRUST ME the OLED is infinitely better. Even more so then you can tell in youtube videos. Whites are yellow it's disgusting the whole screen has a tinge. Seriously stop lying to yourselves, i went out and purchased another one and i will keep it in the box thanks for the suggestions guys.

18. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    If you got the cash, buy spare everything including Vitas.

19. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    OLED looks nice, but the screen burn-in and short lifespan aren't worth it to me.

CrimzonEyed likes this.
  20. AngryGeek416
    OP

Nov 17, 2012
    Argentina
    Except both of those things are magical stories made from fairydust. Vita's don't get burn in unless miss treated i.e. pressing on the screen to hard for to long and OLED lasts just as long as LCD it just starts to degrade in colour quality slowly but STILL looks better then LCD. Anyway justify a 2K to yourself whatever way you wan't, ill stay far away hopefully the 3rd revision goes back to OLED but i doubt it.