Hacking Should I buy a modchip or wait for a backup loader?

kangarookangaroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I was thinking about buying a modchip next month but do you think I should wait for a backup loader? With all the buzz about loaders now, you think there will actually be a real loader any time soon?

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
There already is a loader and it'll come out soon. Just don't ever update your Wii. But I just think a chip is more solid, and easier to use. But it's up to you.

NikoK

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait for the backup loader. Im definitely selling my chipped wii overpriced and profiting off this.

kangarookangaroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Livin in a box said:
There already is a loader and it'll come out soon. Just don't ever update your Wii. But I just think a chip is more solid, and easier to use. But it's up to you.

ohmy.gif
So it's real? How do you know it's real and the video is not a HAOX? If it's real and I see people using it as well as the modchips, I can definately wait for it and save myself 60$ and 30 minutes trieng to open up my wii.

kangarookangaroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haruhi said:
No. A decent modchip has other benefits, such as being able to run imported and/or backup Gamecube games easily.

Don't really care about import games cuz I live in Canada so all the games I want come out here first (except for Japan). I don't really have any interest in GCN games anyways. Only games I would play would be maybe Melee and Mario Kart just to see how they compare to Brawl and Kart Wii.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
kangarookangaroo said:
Livin in a box said:

ohmy.gif
So it's real? How do you know it's real and the video is not a HAOX? If it's real and I see people using it as well as the modchips, I can definately wait for it and save myself 60$ and 30 minutes trieng to open up my wii.
It's not a hoax. You can just tell by watching it.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The video creater, linkinworm, is very trusted, and Waninkoko, the dev, has already confirmed.

With the apploader, you'll have to modify your ISO files, you can't play standard Wii games.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm happy with my modchip. A software hack is much easier for Nintendo to disable. And should Nintendo indeed ever fix this, then your burned discs for this loader will be worthless. Even chipping your Wii won't help then because the ISO's have to be patched and won't work normally through the disc channel.

kangarookangaroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmm with different opinions, i will wait about a month and see how the iso loader works out. i will wait for ppl to try it out and see how it works before i do it. if they don't like it, i wouldn't mind spending 60$ on a modchip but i m just trieng to save money^

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Get a modchip, no doubt. You can't rely on shady people you don't even know to release a backup loader. How many times have there being rumors of backup loaders and releases? You never know how the author of the program might act, and if its true or not. I really would just get a chip. Chips are much more reliable, and are not very expensive.

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Warcueid said:
Get a modchip, no doubt. You can't rely on shady people you don't even know to release a backup loader. How many times have there being rumors of backup loaders and releases? You never know how the author of the program might act, and if its true or not. I really would just get a chip. Chips are much more reliable, and are not very expensive.

Hello there mister salesperson for the WiiKey.

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
There will be many pros and cons for both

A wii modchip is a hardware hack that sits on the DVD drive
This will be a software hack....

People are so scared of modding their wii with a modchip due to 'bricking' when its is quite easily avoidable. Softmodding your wii will really leave the chances of it happening in the hands of the coders. You might also have to kiss online play goodbye if Nintendo gets pissed enough.

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
If nothing else, a modchip gives you more options to recover from badness! Shit happens.

Also, the Wii is still being actively updated... so you'll have to keep on your toes to look out for nintendo's counter measures.

That said, if you aren't in a hurry... so long as you are careful, you could always try the softmod, and if it's no good - put a chip in later.

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm cheap so I'm going to wait for the software hack.

But honestly the modchip solution is much better.

wiimodder69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
(who uses a wiikey these days?) I do. to be honest ive never been so happy with a chip.. This thing has never let me down, it updates in a snap. Installs a breeze(at least for me it is). region games. no problem.

So What is the biggest differance between the new loader vs chip. It's simple. I simply burn my backup from a backup iso and insert the disk and play, which is identical to runnning my original copy in the wii.

From the looks of it, you must first patch a iso file to be played (not a big deal, but an extra step). next you gotta boot through homebrew channel.....another step. didnt really understand the laptop part of it but part of the patch... another step, after massive loading times seen with galaxy the backup will now boot, and then you can play......

When i wanna play, i wanna play.. When i feel like playing around then into homebrew I go...

I hated 3.3 untill i was able to use waniko downgrader back to 3.2 as i had to boot all truncha signed games through gecko OS... the iso loader will be alot like this.

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
wiimodder69 said:
(who uses a wiikey these days?) I do. to be honest ive never been so happy with a chip.. This thing has never let me down, it updates in a snap. Installs a breeze(at least for me it is). region games. no problem.

think he is refering to the fact that most people have newer wiis, and cant use the wiikey

For example in Australia the serial numbers are up to lah1071

thats 710,000 consoles made
only 216,000 can be modded by the wiikey, 160,000 easily, the rest are too hard to try when the d2pro/wasabi uses a different area
the rest of the 500,000 cannot be modded by the wiikey at all

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1