Should I buy a modchip or wait for a backup loader?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by kangarookangaroo, Sep 15, 2008.

1. kangarookangaroo
    OP

Member kangarookangaroo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hey, I was thinking about buying a modchip next month but do you think I should wait for a backup loader? With all the buzz about loaders now, you think there will actually be a real loader any time soon?

2. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    There already is a loader and it'll come out soon. Just don't ever update your Wii. But I just think a chip is more solid, and easier to use. But it's up to you.

3. NikoK

Member NikoK GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Wait for the backup loader. Im definitely selling my chipped wii overpriced and profiting off this.

4. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    No. A decent modchip has other benefits, such as being able to run imported and/or backup Gamecube games easily.

5. kangarookangaroo
    OP

United States
    [​IMG] So it's real? How do you know it's real and the video is not a HAOX? If it's real and I see people using it as well as the modchips, I can definately wait for it and save myself 60$ and 30 minutes trieng to open up my wii.

6. kangarookangaroo
    OP

United States
    Don't really care about import games cuz I live in Canada so all the games I want come out here first (except for Japan). I don't really have any interest in GCN games anyways. Only games I would play would be maybe Melee and Mario Kart just to see how they compare to Brawl and Kart Wii.

7. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    It's not a hoax. You can just tell by watching it.

8. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    The video creater, linkinworm, is very trusted, and Waninkoko, the dev, has already confirmed.

With the apploader, you'll have to modify your ISO files, you can't play standard Wii games.

9. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    I'm happy with my modchip. A software hack is much easier for Nintendo to disable. And should Nintendo indeed ever fix this, then your burned discs for this loader will be worthless. Even chipping your Wii won't help then because the ISO's have to be patched and won't work normally through the disc channel.

10. ads1212

Newcomer ads1212 Member

United Kingdom
    Trust me my video is not a hoax. You will find out soon enough.

11. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Get a modchip. 100% compatibility NO modification of the isos just download, burn and play so easy. AND CHEAP!

12. kangarookangaroo
    OP

United States
    hmmm with different opinions, i will wait about a month and see how the iso loader works out. i will wait for ppl to try it out and see how it works before i do it. if they don't like it, i wouldn't mind spending 60$ on a modchip but i m just trieng to save money^

13. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Get a modchip, no doubt. You can't rely on shady people you don't even know to release a backup loader. How many times have there being rumors of backup loaders and releases? You never know how the author of the program might act, and if its true or not. I really would just get a chip. Chips are much more reliable, and are not very expensive.

14. Relys

Member Relys Master of Computer Science

United States
    Hello there mister salesperson for the WiiKey.

15. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    who uses wiikeys these days?

16. OzModChips

Member OzModChips GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    There will be many pros and cons for both

A wii modchip is a hardware hack that sits on the DVD drive
    This will be a software hack....

People are so scared of modding their wii with a modchip due to 'bricking' when its is quite easily avoidable. Softmodding your wii will really leave the chances of it happening in the hands of the coders. You might also have to kiss online play goodbye if Nintendo gets pissed enough.

17. SenorClean

Member SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    If nothing else, a modchip gives you more options to recover from badness! Shit happens.

Also, the Wii is still being actively updated... so you'll have to keep on your toes to look out for nintendo's counter measures.

That said, if you aren't in a hurry... so long as you are careful, you could always try the softmod, and if it's no good - put a chip in later.

18. Miles

Member Miles GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm cheap so I'm going to wait for the software hack.

But honestly the modchip solution is much better.

19. wiimodder69

Newcomer wiimodder69 Member

Canada
    (who uses a wiikey these days?) I do. to be honest ive never been so happy with a chip.. This thing has never let me down, it updates in a snap. Installs a breeze(at least for me it is). region games. no problem.

So What is the biggest differance between the new loader vs chip. It's simple. I simply burn my backup from a backup iso and insert the disk and play, which is identical to runnning my original copy in the wii.

From the looks of it, you must first patch a iso file to be played (not a big deal, but an extra step). next you gotta boot through homebrew channel.....another step. didnt really understand the laptop part of it but part of the patch... another step, after massive loading times seen with galaxy the backup will now boot, and then you can play......

When i wanna play, i wanna play.. When i feel like playing around then into homebrew I go...

I hated 3.3 untill i was able to use waniko downgrader back to 3.2 as i had to boot all truncha signed games through gecko OS... the iso loader will be alot like this.

20. OzModChips

Member OzModChips GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    think he is refering to the fact that most people have newer wiis, and cant use the wiikey

For example in Australia the serial numbers are up to lah1071

thats 710,000 consoles made
    only 216,000 can be modded by the wiikey, 160,000 easily, the rest are too hard to try when the d2pro/wasabi uses a different area
    the rest of the 500,000 cannot be modded by the wiikey at all