Several folders with MRT

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Isaac, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Isaac
    OP

Isaac American

Dec 8, 2012
    United States
    Here? Right here? What about, say... over there?
    I got a computer from my grandparents, and after cleaning it out, I find these folders in the root directory of my C: drive. Its about 700 megabytes total.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    All of which have MRT.exe inside. From what I've read, it is Microsoft's malicious removal tool, which would make sense seeing all the adware on it when I received it. I was wondering if I would be able to delete these folders without repercussion, or if deleting it will cause an issue.

2. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    well, you could certainly try. worst case, you need to reinstall windows because somehow there was something important in there, though since its not in the windows folders, i wouldn't expect it. what i would expect is windows update to announce you have a million updates to make concerning microsofts removal tool.
    but considering you already mention lots of malware, you're probably better of just reinstalling windows/whatever os anyways

3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    That would be Microsoft's Software Removal Tool, it doesn't have any "official" install and always creates a random folder whenever it's run.

Normally, these folders are deleted once it's done, but sometimes it just messes up for whatever reason. It's totally ok to remove them, there won't be any problems doing so.