setting up console in another language (spanish)

grandosegood

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey folks,
so, i might help some latin america friends get a wii and homebrew it . they speak english, but are a primarily spanish-speaking family. the wii i've been testing is an ntsc with usa games. they will eventually return home to latin to america.

do they need a pal wii with pal games for latin america users? i understand emulators might be a different case, but for wii and gamecube games that would load through usb loader gx, is there a way to set language (or change the region of the console) so that games will autoload spanish if they have it added by the developer? thanks.

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do they need a pal wii with pal games for latin america users? i understand emulators might be a different case, but for wii and gamecube games that would load through usb loader gx,
No, when you softmod the system you can play Wii games (or GC games & emulators) from any region. though you might need component cables in order for out of region games to show properly.
is there a way to set language (or change the region of the console) so that games will autoload spanish if they have it added by the developer? thanks.
NTSC releases of games often come with only one language (English), so if you want Spanish you should get PAL releases of games, as they have multi-language support..

grandosegood

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, when you softmod the system you can play Wii games (or GC games & emulators) from any region. though you might need component cables in order for out of region games to show properly.

NTSC releases of games often come with only one language (English), so if you want Spanish you should get PAL releases of games, as they have multi-language support..

thanks for your reply. in the past, i have read about pal/ntsc compatibility issues (playing pal games on ntsc console or vice vesa), but i'm guessing that may be for specific titles or possibly a problem that has been already fixed? it seems like we could keep the ntsc console (now region-free due to being homebrewed) but just use pal discs/releases of games (including for emulators). is there a setting to change the system language as well? Thanks again.

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for your reply. in the past, i have read about pal/ntsc compatibility issues (playing pal games on ntsc console or vice vesa), but i'm guessing that may be for specific titles or possibly a problem that has been already fixed?
Not an issue to run games from other regions as i previously stated. The only thing you should keep in mind is that you might need component cables in order to get Pal games to show properly, composite cables might have an issue running pal 50hz games..
Or get an wii hdmi adapter if you want to go that route..
is there a setting to change the system language as well?
Well you can change the Wii's language in the system settings, have you tried doing that or not?

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
they will eventually return home to latin to america
Que?

do they need a pal wii with pal games for latin america users? i understand emulators might be a different case, but for wii and gamecube games that would load through usb loader gx, is there a way to set language (or change the region of the console) so that games will autoload spanish if they have it added by the developer?
Necesitas que tus juegos sean PAL, pues usualmente tienen 3 a 5 idiomas de los cuales uno de ellos es "Español🇪🇸".
Para que funcione, tienes que instalar PriiLoader en tu consola, y una vez instalado, habilita: "Region Free Everything" para que no tengas ningún riesgo de Brick en tu Wii.

Después de éste paso de habilitar esa opción, puedes utilizar e instalar juegos y canales PAL/JP en una consola NTSC.

Sin embargo, algunos emuladores (no se a cuál/cuáles te refieras en específico) que tienen opcion de "Forzar idioma", y te dará opción de forzar tanto Idioma de la Consola como uno en específico SIEMPRE Y CUANDO EL JUEGO YA TENGA EL IDIOMA EN EL, obviamente sería ilógico que un Emulador pueda traducir juegos, o sea... no.

En tal caso, sólo instala PriiLoader, habilita "Region Free Everything" y tus juegos PAL serán leídos por tu consola NTSC.
Aunque no está de más decir que la mayoría de los juegos del 2010 en adelante ya incluyen Español en las opciones del juego y se detectará siempre y cuando tu Wii esté en Español.
Por ejemplo, Animal Crossing City Folk detectará tu idioma de la consola y forzará el texto en tal idioma sin que tú hagas nada. Obvio no es el caso de TODOS los juegos, pero es algo que tener en mente.

Sólo una corrección en tu primer suposición "necesito una consola PAL para juegos PAL"... aunque tengas una consola PAL, nunca servirá en América por las diferencias de Voltaje.

Otra observación, los emuladores de juegos antiguos (GameCube para atrás) no tendrán problemas al iniciar juegos de otras regiones en una Wii NTSC... o por lo menos yo no he tenido problema alguno al jugar juegos de Cubo exclusivos de Japón con Nintendont o juegos PAL/JAP de N64 con Not64, o roms Europeas de SNES/NES/GAMEBOY/SEGA/NEOGEO. Pero que se vean bien ya depende del emulado mas no de los cables o de tu dispositivo de televisión. Simplemente no le muevas nada a los emuladores.

Sin embargo, si tú te refieres a juegos de Wii PAL en Wii NTSC, PriiLoader resuelve tu problema al habilitar "Region Free Everything". Pues esto evitará que tus juegos y canales fuera de región brickeen tu Wii.

Aunque siendote sincero, no se si "Region Free Everything" sea exclusivo para Discos Físicos. Quiero decir, no se si la opción de "Region Free Everything" solo habilite el laser a leer discos de otras regiones, por lo que las copias digitales se leerán bien independientemente de la opción.
Aún así, instala PriiLoader y habilita "Region Free Everything" para que luego no vengas a preguntar cómo desbrickear tu Wii despues de que instalaste un canal PAL o JAP.

Aviso de antemano, eh? :creep:

To mods: Please let me get away with this one. I'm not feeling well enough to translate this explanation.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not an issue to run games from other regions as i previously stated. The only thing you should keep in mind is that you might need component cables in order to get Pal games to show properly, composite cables might have an issue running pal 50hz games..
PAL50 shouldn't be an issue with Wii. The PAL Wii console defaults to it to support CRTs from 1980s and older. CRTs from 1990s and early 2000s should all support PAL60. An unmodified Wii should – to my knowledge – apply the selected resolution on games, so all PAL games should support 480i@60Hz and hopefully run with NTSC 480i@60Hz as well.
USB loaders should have the ability to force a video mode anyway… but: Yes, of course one should use component and/or Wii2HDMI instead of the blurry default composite cable.
=======

Is that so?? Wow! (In negative sense) I expected them to at least include Spanish in NTSC-U games. Never understood why they didn't include the multiple languages in NTSC-U and NTSC-J. On earlier consoles it was due to space concerns, but with DVDs? Come one, it doesn't make sense to release multiple versions for multiple languages – especially considering they did include mostly five languages for Europe (En, Fr, De, Es, It).
Hell, look at the no-intro filename of a GBC Harry Potter game:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (USA, Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It,Nl,Pt,Sv,No,Da,Fi).gbc

To mods: Please let me get away with this one. I'm not feeling well enough to translate this explanation.
Where is the problem to at least throw it into deepl.com?
↓↓↓↓↓
You need your games to be PAL, as they usually have 3 to 5 languages of which one of them is "Español🇪🇸".

To make it work, you have to install PriiLoader on your console, and once installed, enable: "Region Free Everything" so you don't have any risk of Brick on your Wii.

After this step of enabling that option, you can use and install PAL/JP games and channels on a NTSC console.

However, some emulators (I don't know which one(s) you are referring to specifically) have a "Force Language" option, and it will give you the option to force either Console Language or a specific one AS LONG AS THE GAME ALREADY HAS THE LANGUAGE IN IT, obviously it would be illogical for an Emulator to translate games, I mean... no.

In that case, just install PriiLoader, enable "Region Free Everything" and your PAL games will be read by your NTSC console.
Although it goes without saying that most games from 2010 onwards already include Spanish in the game options and will be detected as long as your Wii is in Spanish.
For example, Animal Crossing City Folk will detect your console language and will force the text in that language without you doing anything. Obviously this is not the case for ALL games, but it is something to keep in mind.

Just a correction on your first assumption "I need a PAL console for PAL games"... even if you have a PAL console, it will never work in America because of the Voltage differences.

Another observation, older game emulators (GameCube to back) will have no problems starting games from other regions on a NTSC Wii... or at least I have had no problem playing Japanese exclusive Cube games with Nintendont or PAL/JAP N64 games with Not64, or European SNES/NES/GAMEBOY/SEGA/NEOGEO roms. But whether they look good depends on the emulation but not on the cables or your TV device. Just don't move anything to the emulators.

However, if you refer to Wii PAL games on Wii NTSC, PriiLoader solves your problem by enabling "Region Free Everything". This will prevent your out-of-region games and channels from bricking your Wii.
Although to be honest, I don't know if "Region Free Everything" is exclusive for Physical Discs. I mean, I don't know if the "Region Free Everything" option only enables the laser to read discs from other regions, so digital copies will read fine regardless of the option.
Still, install PriiLoader and enable "Region Free Everything" so you won't come asking how to unbrick your Wii after you installed a PAL or JAP channel.

Warning in advance, eh?

Reactions: CoolMe

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just trying to ease information.
Not a problem. Most things in different languages get tolerated when translation is provided.
As far as I can tell your post is correct and was some work! Why risk having it removed due to "Da Rules"? It took me 10 seconds to add the machine translation.

Reactions: Sypherone

grandosegood

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thank you everyone ,for your input and advice. looks like no matter the case, we'll have to track down some PAL discs/backups.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs