Suggestion Setting up a exploit bounty for patched switches

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by NicolaiVdS, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Mouser X

Mouser X Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2009
    United States
    I've heard/read a few people say that it's possible to "unpatch" an ipatched Switch, by replacing the patched chip with a non-patched chip. I haven't heard anyone say where or how you'd get said non-patched chip. No, I don't remember who said it, but it was a few, different people. Most of it was regarding if someone accidently implemented "autoRCM" on an ipatched unit. This would result in a fully bricked Switch. To which they said the *only* fix would be a hardware fix, to replace the patched chip.

2. Dysproh

Dysproh Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2016
    United States
    Replacing the SoC sounds like a very hard and probably not doable for free task.

3. Chocola

Chocola GBAtemp Meowgular

Sep 18, 2018
    Korea, South
    Neko Paradise
    This is harder, because the company have bounties for exploit reports so another hackers try to find it and report to N, then N pay for this reports and apply a fix (like the fix on 7.x, they get a report for a important part of DejaVu and they patch it).

You ask for ZeroDay vulnerability, a new and unknown breach to exploit the system, but it's really harder find it and probably if someone found anything gona report it to N for the money (because its generous payed).

Anyway with this, it's only the first step for exploit, you need chain more vulnerabilities on the system to get full access.

4. xCNotex
    This message by xCNotex has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 18, 2019, Reason: Bickering, attacks, and replies to them.
    Jun 18, 2019
  5. leafeon34
    This message by leafeon34 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 18, 2019, Reason: Bickering, attacks, and replies to them.
    Jun 18, 2019
  6. Off42

Off42 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2019
    United States
    He's not asking to buy it for $50, he's just saying he's going to pitch in and hopes other people will so the money can add up. I agree it won't add up to $20k or anything close, but its better than nothing if a hack dev doesn't want to sell out to Nintendo.

7. Rizzorules
    This message by Rizzorules has been removed from public view by osaka35, Jun 18, 2019, Reason: off-topic.
    Jun 18, 2019
  8. leafeon34
    This message by leafeon34 has been removed from public view by osaka35, Jun 18, 2019, Reason: off-topic.
    Jun 18, 2019
  9. lolboy

lolboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2009
    Netherlands
    I can’t believe some take my post seriously :rofl2:

Zidapi and leafeon34 like this.
  10. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2014
    Reasonable. Still not convinced they will take this over a real bug bounty. There is no guarantee whatsoever the money will arrive unlike on official ones.

11. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    Yes, if you buy blank chips from nvidia then you could replace the one on the motherboard & it can have whatever ipatches you want. I'm not sure they'd sell you one though.

12. leafeon34

leafeon34 意地悪な男の人

Sep 30, 2014
    Japan
    Hiding up a cherry blossom
    It wont. The OP has no reputation, fails to use correct English (below what is acceptable for non-native speakers), offers a stupidly low sum of money and fails to outline a clear plan of how he will collect money from other users and deliver it. It's like he woke up with an idea yesterday and posted it without thinking it through.

Last edited by leafeon34, Jun 18, 2019
  13. Off42

Off42 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2019
    United States
    Probably won't, but you see tons of devs not telling Nintendo about the bugs and coming up with hacks which is a great thing. Some people aren't in it for a bit of money, but its a nice thing to donate since they are on our side and helping us out.

14. mike087

mike087 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2017
    Ecuador
    You can get thousands of dolars from nintendo

15. Galactiiix

Galactiiix Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2019
    France
    but to be clear, the flaw is already patched for the switch after 7.1 with deja vu . So there is nothing left for sale

16. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    In his defense, I'll say I've seen native english speakers using worst english that OP in this same site, so...

Zidapi and kumikochan like this.
  17. leafeon34

leafeon34 意地悪な男の人

Sep 30, 2014
    Japan
    Hiding up a cherry blossom
    OP made fundamental mistakes like forgetting full stops at the end of sentences and referring to himself using lower case "i"s. This indicates he didn't even try. He's too sloppy to sucessfully coordinate a crowdfunded exploit bounty.

18. stephrk398

stephrk398 GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2018
    United States
    Good luck with this bro lol. The ARM64 Dynarec bounty went for $2,155 via bountysource.

19. garyopa

garyopa Admin @ MaxConsole

Apr 25, 2009
    Canada
    Tropical Island
    nintendo pays better! :)

20. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    You are right, and still I'm not wrong.

21. Godofcheese

Godofcheese GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2016
    Sweden
    Shivering Isles
    My bounty offer is a free pizza of your own choice
    Take it or leave it.

MythicalData and leafeon34 like this.
  22. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Just wanted to throw out the fact that $50 really isn't a whole lot considering the amount of work that goes into this kind of thing. And honestly they are probably already looking into it and likely have been. There just isn't much to find, at least for public knowledge.

23. x124

x124 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 22, 2019
    United States
    I don't know why everybody seems upset. It's not like any of you were going to collect any bounty anyway
    As far as I can tell from the OP, he is just asking for a public implementation of an exploit that works on patched switches.
    Deja vu exploit chain implementation for >=4.1.0 (lowest firmware on patched switches) should qualify.
    As nintendo already patched dejavu, it's worthless for them and they won't be willing to pay a dime for it. Furthermore all the exploit details are public and most of it already implemented for earlier firmware versions.

All it should take is for someone to implement nvhax on top of pegaswitch to access deja vu and release it for the hack to be complete. And I think $50 should be a fair prize for this work.
    Bounty or not, deja vu for higher firmwares is coming. TX has already been teasing for it for a few months and I think pegascape promised support. I don't see the harm in increasing the incentives to get it out sooner by offering such bounty (as low as it may be)

NicolaiVdS and Galactiiix like this.
  24. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    I fail to see what English grammar has to do with it at all, I've seen successful bounties been given out by people who couldn't even spell at all. I do agree with you that this won't lead to anything tho.

Last edited by kumikochan, Jun 20, 2019
    Zidapi, NicolaiVdS and Bedel like this.