Setting SD Speed Manually

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by crystalklear64, Jun 5, 2009.

1. crystalklear64
    OP

crystalklear64 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2008
    United States
    Hello,

I recently updated my SCDS sdhc OS to the latest and forgot to save my speed settings, so I figured its time I did a little learning.

Now, the speed test included with the OS is trash, and never works, telling me my card is too slow to be supported.

Instead, using the libfat tool, I see that my average access time for sequential is .4 ms with a .8ms max (421 us, 813us), random average and max being both around 8.5ms.

The card is a japanese 2gb kingston formatted in fat16.

So with all this in mind, what speed settings can I expect to use, and why? ex. if someone says, you're good to use x5 with 25, how do you come to that conclusion? What can I use the access times for to determine what that means concerning the number I set in the global.ini?

Thanks.

2. gamadaya

gamadaya Member

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2008
    United States
    Laurel, MD
    I don't really know what the access times have to do with it, but a way you can see what value to set the first value in the .ini to (I think the first is the 1-6 one) is by checking you're read/write time. It's simple actually. 6mb/s is a value of 6, 5mb/s is 5, and so on. Then you base the other value (1-32) on basically however high you can set it without everything crashing on you. And yeah, the speed test in the OS sucks. It gives my 32 speed card a recommended speed of 11.

And I don't know how to check read/write times. Sorry [​IMG]. I actually don't know a lot about these cards, but this is what little I do know. Did yours actually come formatted in fat16? I have a 4 gb kingston, and it was in fat32. With the Windows formatter, I I can format to fat32, exfat, and just fat. Is fat the same as fat16? I might want to switch to that if it is.

3. Overlord Nadrian

Overlord Nadrian Banned

Banned
    Jul 28, 2008
    Belgium
    Riviera
    FAT is for cards < 2GB; FAT32 is for cards > 2GB.

4. geokilla

geokilla GBAtemp Regular

May 16, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canada
    I have no idea what you're saying.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice