Gaming Serious file trouble

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok here's the deal. I was messign with Ubuntu and GNOME3 I'd just mounted my Windows drive and was trying to add my normal folders as shortcuts at the side. In doing so somehting has gone wrong and my entire Documents folder has dissappeared from existence. Some messages flashed up but I did read them and saw nothing about files being deleted, I thought I was accidently copying them.

THe long and short of it is that my Documents folder has completely dissappeared but the files still exist (I found some while searching to check under a favourites folder. As far is I know that just provides shortcuts to the files). This is also backed up by the fact that I only have 60GB free on my HardDrive. My Documents folder was really quite huge and deleting it wouldn't leave me with so little space. I am running in WIndows 7 at the moment but have Ubuntu if needed to try and repair this filesystem. I honestly don't know what's happened. The files are there but...not...

Situation as I see it: THe files exist. THey are there on the harddrive and counting as used space. THe directories, however, are gone. ANy links to the file have dissappeared. They don't count as deleted files and can't be recovered that way. I have tried running a chkdsk to see if windows can fix it itself but no luck.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Stupid question: Are you sure it's not in the recycle bin? That would explain why it's not's not there and why you still have only 60GB free.

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Both Recycle Bins are empty. The .trash-1000 folder (Linux recycle bin) does not contain the files and Windows wasn't the OS that deleted them so they're not sitting in recycle bin.
If they were in recycle bins then the links to the files found in C:\Users\[Username]\Favourites would not work.

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
EJames2100 said:
Have you tried searching for the files/folder by using their names or even searching by file size ?
Yes, this is how I found my files in Favourites... hang on. EVERY SINGLE FILE IS HERE!! WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN!?!?!
I'm going to check and see if I can move them. It seems like panic is over though...

Update: Every single file seems to be there. I have placed everything back in the right place. I have no diea how the files got into favourite but it seems they are... maybe I accidently dragged them there (which seems really odd considering I was dealing with the "Documents" folder and not all the files within.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated