Hacking Serious Erasing Problem

DonPablo1x

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason my R4 keeps erasing itself when: 1 it freezes in game or not 2 sometimes when I turn it on 3 when I reset with some games. I've had my R4 for almost a year now and it just recently started doing this. There's no, visible, problems with my SD card (Apacer 2GB) or R4 and the only files on there are like games, some music and some videos. I don't think it's the music or videos because those have been on there since the second month I've had it. When it first started to erase itself about 2 weeks ago it was minor things such as a game or a directory but now it just wipes it clean. So if anyone has any suggestions about how to fix it, what card I should invest in next or need some info on my R4 just kinda leave a message I'll get back to you. Thanks in advance if anyone can find like some kind of miracle program for me.

P.S. Sorry for making it so long
rolleyes.gif

tedmg09130913

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have the money, get the cyclods. Otherwise there is the acekard the dstt and the supercard. The supercard has most of the features of the cyclods, but sometimes has psram problems.

matrix121391

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really don't have much suggestions but maybe you have corrupted files? I hear corruption can be induced if you prematurely remove the USB before it gives you permission. The fault might also be with your computer. Have you changed any settings regarding on how it should handle SD cards?

As for recommendations for an upgrade, there's always the obvious, CycloDS. Unfortunately, if you do not know, it's quite expensive. You could get the AceKard2, which I hear right now is at a very affordable price on DealExtreme. I've also heard recommendations for EDGE and SuperCard ONE. Hope I've been of some help!

DonPablo1x

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes when I'm moving files on it a random file called "r." comes up and it has a size of 0 bytes and the computer yells it can't get removed but whenever that happened I formatted it. I don't think it's my computer because I don't really mess around in the options because I know I'll screw something important up.
wacko.gif

So anyway, the Cyclo is my best choice right? Oh, and I probably should've mentioned that it used to be an M3 but we unbriged the piece making it an R4. Well, thanks for the suggestions, I'll go look into the Cyclo and all the other ones you guys mentioned.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
jesus can you fan boys stop telling people to buy the cyclo? the new mainstream card.... blah.

sounds to me like your r4 isn't making contact, or the slot1 has dust or junk in it. you can get a can of compressed air to blow it out and/or put some paper behind the pcb to make sure its making contact. anytime a file can't write because of a glitch or contact issue it has the potential to write a garbage file. that is what you are seeing. the file isn't actually there but the FAT thinks it is, it has no pointer tho. so you can't delete it yet it reports as being there. in nesds (with the touch screen hops) i selected the wrong option one time to many and it dropped a 4gb file on my 1gb msd! so it happens. there is also the chance that your msd slot has a problem but i wouldn't even think about that yet. try the air first. when in doubt tho use a different msd and see if it continues. it could be that your msd is old, they only last for about 10,000 read/writes.

if you want a good flash kit you should get the new redesigned acekard 2.1 with the black pcb. the new controller chip is cheaper to make so the kit has dropped in price. i own 7 flash kits (going back to 128mb gba kit from 8yrs ago) and my favorite so far is my acekard running the AKAIO firmware. there is the occasional softreset glitch or whatever due to ram limitations on the acekard. normmatt recently put work into making the loaders external to free up some ram and gelu made some fixes so i expect most of those issues will be ironed out in the next firmware release.

cheers,
-another world

DonPablo1x

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see how it could be done I've only had it for almost a year I don't think I put it in anywhere near 10,000 times and I couldn've wrote over 10,000 files either.

Also, Another World what did you mean put paper behind the pcb?
huh.gif

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
well 10,000 read/writes is a number they throw out at users. it doesn't mean the msd hasn't gone bad after a year of constant use. you might not even hit that number and still it goes bad. the smaller and faster technology gets the more disposable it becomes. if its a good name brand they might guarantee it. kingston will replace any msd for the life of the card (7 yrs i think) and 1yr on the reader if it breaks.

if you unscrew the r4 just behind the contacts on the botton of the pcb place a small wedge of paper to push the pcb ever so slightly forward towards the contact points in the ds. you have to keep in mind that flash kits cost about $1-3 to make. so quality control isn't what it would be if say sony was making flash kits for $15 ea. and selling them at $100 a pop. sometimes the mounts in the plastic that hold the board have flash (extra plastic) or they just don't keep it in the right spot. it happens, and paper is a fix for it.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1