"Semi-Bricked" Wii from 4.2 update

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by DraimanBelieve, Oct 4, 2009.

Oct 4, 2009
  1. DraimanBelieve
    OP

Newcomer DraimanBelieve Newbie

United States
    So I updated my Wii to 4.2 and my Wii is getting this error message "Wii System Files are Corrupted" and its just hanging on a black and white screen, freezing, crashing and having issues connecting to Nintendo Wifi when my internet works perfectly. I used to have the Homebrew Channel on my Wii about a year ago or so and just didn't see the point in it and got rid of it. My question is did I though, eventhough I no longer have the Twilight hack save, the Homebrew Channel or any of that stuff is it possible for Nintendo to detect "traces" of it on my system? I only ask cause I just setup a repair through them for free and when I get the system back I am supposed to get an extended 1 year warranty. Now I am really paranoid to send the system in fearing they may find out that my system was soft modded at one point and decide to charge me $85 after I send it in. What usually happens when you send a Wii in that was homebrewed? If you don't have any save files or the HBC Channel on there can they somehow tap into the system and find traces? Any help would be much appreciated, I am probably going to still send it into the New York Repair Center. I also have no desire to ever have HBC again I just want to know if Nintendo can find out if I once had HBC if the channel and files aren't viewable in the Wii System Menu/settings?

2. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    if its bricked i dont think they can get into it but maybe they can but if its not on the system menu i dont think they will look but the worst they can do is ethir charge yoou or the send it back

3. HiBit

Member HiBit GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    If the recovery mode work, and that's possible if you get the "corrupt files" message, Nintendo can start a recovery dvd and with this dvd they can list all the installed titles.

But why should they do this?

Try it and if Nintendo think you should pay 200$ let they send the Wii back, reassemble it and sell all parts @ ebay. [​IMG]

4. lightyear

Member lightyear GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just load the firmware updater from either preloader or bootmii ( I hope you have one of the two installed)

That will re-install the whole system menu and should completely remove the software that's causing the brick.

Either that or something you have installed is having compatibility issues and you can remove it with any title deleter if you load that from preloader, as well.

5. DraimanBelieve
    OP

Newcomer DraimanBelieve Newbie

United States
    no what I am trying to say is I don't have Homebrew or anything installed on my Wii. I got rid of it almost a year ago or so cause I got bored with it. It's not bricked it still turns on and you can't tell by just looking at the system menus or save data if I have ever installed homebrew. The only downside is that I need to send this in for repair and I don't really know if Nintendo could find out if I had it installed on my Wii at a time. I mean it's not on there and there is no apps, save data or anything that could be considered illegal since I did get rid of the stuff but my question is can Nintendo still see that you soft modded your system even if you deleted it off your system menu?