Hacking Semi brick

Foxhound1002

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I updated my Wii to version 4.1 from 4.0.

Steps I took:
Upgraded IOS to 249
Upgraded to 4.1
Reinstalled Preloader
Everything worked fine
Changed .ini file of preloader to 4.1 .ini file
Now everytime I try to go to the system menu on the corner of the screen it shows 4.1 (USA)

My question to you guys is how can I fix this? I can access the preloader menu and access the homebrew channel from there. I searched around but found no answers I hope you guys can help me. Thanks and sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

On my preloader it states
IOS v60
Systemmenu v449

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Not seen this before, only time you should see that is if you're using Savemii/Savemiifrii (correct me if I'm wrong). If you can access HBC from preloader, I'd suggest going back to 4.0 (using Firmware Downgrader) and see if that rememdies it. The 4.1 update might not have completed or installed properly

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok heres what to do

go to hbc
use ethir a downgrading thingy or any region changer to reinstall 3.2
then update via nintendo then do all your hacks over

~ ifsih

Foxhound1002

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do the IOS delete themselves or what IOS should I be at right now? I saw that the highest one with Waninkoko's upgrader it goes up to 250 is that right? Also I think I upgraded to cIOS 38 Rev 4 because that is the file I used from Waninkoko's blog to upgrade the IOS. The program stated that the IOS would show as 249. Okay I downgraded to 4.0 then back to 4.1. If I downgrade to 4.0 and install Preloader everything stays fine. If I install 4.1 and leave it without Preloader everything works fine. As soon as I install preloader on 4.1 it gives me the black screen with 4.1(USA) on it. Any clues why?

Foxhound1002

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When it gives me the black screen I am on 4.1. If I am on 4.0 and I install the preloader everything works fine. Once I install 4.1 it starts to give me the error. This might affect the error so I'll add this info. I had cIOSCORP installed on my wii on 4.0

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
Update via official update to 4.1, install preloader, cioscorp and you should be fine, you have a nand backup? Then give it a try.

Foxhound1002

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I finally found out that it is the hacks.ini file that is causing this. I removed the hacks.ini file from the preloader with an older version so that preloader doesn't load any hacks. Now I get through the system menu as if nothing were wrong but I need the hacks at least just no update. Does anyone know how to fix this or what hack could be causing my wii to do this? EDIT: I have now found out that I cannot get to the system menu just through booting up I have to select system menu from the preloader menu.

Foxhound1002

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a slight bump and update

I went back to 4.0 and everything works fine even the preloader with the 4.0 ini. Whenever I go to 4.1 no matter if it is from 3.2 U or 4.0 U if I go to 4.1 U everything works fine. If I install preloader it goes to that black screen from a straight boot. From the preloader menu I can access the system menu if I don't use the 4.1 U ini. Once I add the 4.1 U ini I cannot access the system menu from the preloader menu I can only access homebrew channel.

striker1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxhound1002 said:
So I updated my Wii to version 4.1 from 4.0.

Steps I took:
Upgraded IOS to 249
Upgraded to 4.1
Reinstalled Preloader
Everything worked fine
Changed .ini file of preloader to 4.1 .ini file
Now everytime I try to go to the system menu on the corner of the screen it shows 4.1 (USA)

My question to you guys is how can I fix this? I can access the preloader menu and access the homebrew channel from there. I searched around but found no answers I hope you guys can help me. Thanks and sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

On my preloader it states
IOS v60
Systemmenu v449

I had this exact same problem when I updated to 4.1 from 4.0, using Waninkoko's updater. After re-installing preloader and using the 4.1 hacks.ini file, I got the black screen with 4.1 (USA) on the right corner. Found out the problem was the "Autoboot Game" option in preloader. Disable this hack and then when you boot into System Menu, it runs without a hitch.

slaysme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
same thing happened to me, it was my 1st time,(I read the noob sheet and used xxzeroXx"s dummies guide.) i was beginning to doubt my non moron status. sigh of relief that i'm not an idiot . But... i am still in that spot, and i'm getting sick of searching. i thought i'd semi bricked, so i had to get hex ed, modifiy the nand back, and start all over. then when i did the steps again today BAAM! black screen. it's written to boot 2, ...Help?

striker1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
slaysme said:
same thing happened to me, it was my 1st time,(I read the noob sheet and used xxzeroXx"s dummies guide.) i was beginning to doubt my non moron status. sigh of relief that i'm not an idiot . But... i am still in that spot, and i'm getting sick of searching. i thought i'd semi bricked, so i had to get hex ed, modifiy the nand back, and start all over. then when i did the steps again today BAAM! black screen. it's written to boot 2, ...Help?

If you installed Preloader and are using the 4.1 hacks.ini file, disable IOS Reload (to 249), Autoboot Game, and Disc autostart. I found those hacks were causing problems.

slaysme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no good. those settings did not exist in syshacks menu. or settings. since i can access preloader + hbc, where should i restart? re-re-restore my nand backup, then up date to 4.1 via official paths? then do it all AGAIN?as i stated, i'm a noob , and i'm getting frustrated. what up to date files should i use? same guide/files again? other suggestions?

4.2? shit on me

slaysme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry, double post blah, HELP Me please.

wii was at 3.1U. ran http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901 .
grabbed some stuff from the web,(snex9.., vc wads,wad mngr.)installed wads, went to system menu...black screen 4.1U...
uninstalled all wads. still the same result. messed around with hacks...nothing changes.

go to do nand restore, find i gotta hex edit my keys.bin. ..blah, later, system restored. i had my nand backup , and boot mii installed, so i started at trucha again. got to the end of process, black screen again. now i've tried tweaking system hacks, even replaced the old hacks file. i was gonna restore again, but now i'd upgrade to 4.2. looking at a firmware d/grader, is 4.0 a good SM?what program should i use? will some 1 offer a bit of advice? ... and there's TOO Much to sift through ..

Foxhound1002

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I just downgraded to 4.0 and that works perfectly. Use Waninkoko's Firmware Downgraded v1.11 and downgrade to 4.0. Then reinstall preloader .29 and use the 4.0.ini file which can be found at http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Preloader I hope this helps you it is what I found out works best for me I don't really use my wii so one stupid game is not going to keep me from using it.

g0kuss4

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had this exact problem last night following xzxero's guide. Because he says to "enable all hacks" in his guide, I did so. I read them while I enabled them and a few of them seemed either redundant or wrong, either way, I did what the guide said and experienced your issue. I went into the hacks options and disabled recovery mode. That's your issue.

Hope this helps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn