Hacking Selling a CFW 3DS on ebay

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not much you can do if you indicate it has CFW, ebay doesn't really allow listing with CFW/Piracy. I sold few units with listings that got shut down by Ebay/Nintendo before, as long you don't get a shady buyer then you should be alright.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To let the buyers know is almost impossible because it is auction. You are better off sell it on the Craig list. Ebay is a higher risk for CFW. You could get sue and get in trouble. Very serious in trouble. I don't recommenced it or you would regret.

Switchgamer123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To let the buyers know is almost impossible because it is auction. You are better off sell it on the Craig list. Ebay is a higher risk for CFW. You could get sue and get in trouble. Very serious in trouble. I don't recommenced it or you would regret.
But I've seen other sellers do it all the time :/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

your best bet is going smaller selling platform "mericari. letitgo, Cragslist, facebook,
The English version for letgo takes me to a site called "OfferUp". Can I use that site too?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, they do it all the time but have you seen them get away with it or getting arrest or something ? We will never know.

Should be fine if it is Nintendo, just don't include any pirate games, OP should be fine, I sold a few CFW 3ds here in the US before, no legal problem, just listing got removed that all. If he was to sell with Sony Console he would probably get sued for copyright stuffs if he sold pirated games.

Reactions: zfreeman

Switchgamer123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why not factory reset it?
Factory reset doesn't remove CFW from the system. I also heard that uninstalling CFW, makes hacking the system again problematic. So if the buyer wants to hack it as well, there might be some issues with it. I don't want to deal with any of that

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should be fine if it is Nintendo, just don't include any pirate games, OP should be fine, I sold a few CFW 3ds here in the US before, no legal problem, just listing got removed that all. If he was to sell with Sony Console he would probably get sued for copyright stuffs if he sold pirated games.

Well, perhaps.. Perhaps not. As I said you will never know. I recommended him to use facebook market or Craigslist. He should be safe.

Switchgamer123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes exactly. I heard the most that could happen was ebay simply taking down the listing. I don't plan on selling it with pirated games on it and only want to advertise the CFW features as "you can back up games" and "region free"

I saw someone list a launch 3DS with "custom firmware" in the title and it was sold in the next few hours. though it is possible it was taken down later

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, perhaps.. Perhaps not. As I said you will never know. I recommended him to use facebook market or Craigslist. He should be safe.

Well it is a gamble for him if he wants to sell it on ebay, there always the risk the listing get removed, depends on how the buyers react, it is trouble for the seller if the listing get removed, I sold few 3DS with CFW before, the listing pretty much always get removed, but I managed to get the order to go through, got some good customers.

Yes exactly. I heard the most that could happen was ebay simply taking down the listing. I don't plan on selling it with pirated games on it and only want to advertise the CFW features as "you can back up games" and "region free"

I saw someone list a launch 3DS with "custom firmware" in the title and it was sold in the next few hours. though it is possible it was taken down later

From my experience of selling them on ebay, if you want to sell them don't include any pirated game due to copyright problem, as for listing there is always good chance of them removing it, they will just claim copyright violation, depends on your buyer how nice they are, they can open a case with paypal claiming they got scam since the listing got removed, so if you sell them you must proving tracking before the listing get removed. I sold like 2-3 units, listing got removed, but I got my payment for them so should get them to pay quickly.

Reactions: spotanjo3

Switchgamer123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK I think I might try it on facebook marketplace though i don't have much credibility there as it will be my first time selling. Is it safe to put "CFW" or "Luma3DS" in the description/title there?

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it is a gamble for him if he wants to sell it on ebay, there always the risk the listing get removed, depends on how the buyers react, it is trouble for the seller if the listing get removed, I sold few 3DS with CFW before, the listing pretty much always get removed, but I managed to get the order to go through, got some good customers.

Wow, you are vert fortunately. And I am happy for you that you managed to get the order to go through.

I am a seller and a buyer for a loooooong time with eBay. I love Ebay. Stay safe. :)

Switchgamer123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

From my experience of selling them on ebay, if you want to sell them don't include any pirated game due to copyright problem, as for listing there is always good chance of them removing it, they will just claim copyright violation, depends on your buyer how nice they are, they can open a case with paypal claiming they got scam since the listing got removed, so if you sell them you must proving tracking before the listing get removed. I sold like 2-3 units, listing got removed, but I got my payment for them so should get them to pay quickly.
The listing getting removed after someone buys it is what I'm really afraid of. I've sold many games on ebay before and usually ebay holds on to my money till after the item has arrived. I don't know how that would work if they take the listing down.

I'm considering using Facebook marketplace instead. its where I bought the 3DS i have now in the first place but this would be my first time selling there so I don't have much credibility. Is it ok to put "CFW" or "Luma3DS" in the title? Or is it better to put in the description?

On Facebook, Is it ok to put "CFW" or "Luma3DS" in the title or is it better in description?

Last edited by Switchgamer123,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The listing getting removed after someone buys it is what I'm really afraid of. I've sold many games on ebay before and usually ebay holds on to my money till after the item has arrived. I don't know how that would work if they take the listing down.

I'm considering using Facebook marketplace instead. its where I bought the 3DS i have now in the first place but this would be my first time selling there so I don't have much credibility. Is it ok to put "CFW" or "Luma3DS" in the title? Or is it better to put in the description?

Is it ok to put "CFW" or "Luma3DS" in the title or is it better in description?

If it get taken down the buyer can dispute about it, really depends on the buyer, if the buyer is nice they won't claim item not received with paypal, that is a last resort for them if ebay removed the listing, basically like the transaction doesn't exist on ebay. It is kinda hard considering the fact there are 1-2 hundred dollars involve. If you want to take a gamble go for it. Putting CFW will defninite get it taken off, I have also put luma, a9lh, b9s before along with it and it got taken down, I mean if the order got proccessed and you got your money and the order get shipped then most likely you won't have to worry about it, I would worry if the listing was removed when the buyer paid but you haven't ship, then you would want to contact the buyer. Refund might be the easiest if that happen or just another listing to get the order to go through, ebay is kinda picky on these stuffs.

Reactions: Switchgamer123

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My opinion don't try to put anything special in your description just include pictures of it running things that it couldn't run if it wasn't hacked ie custom splash screen, a VC title/system that is not official, or a .moflex 3d movie, 3dsident. ECT.

Last edited by wormdood,
Reactions: Switchgamer123

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think the following words triggers some eBay filter when I used to sell modded 3ds consoles.

CFW
Firmware (yes even writing the word firmware for an unmodded 3ds got it taken down)
Luma
Modified

I would put more effort in the photos and take pictures of the home menu full of games and in the description just say, "anything unsure, send me a message".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse