Hacking Segate Drive With USB Loader Help Please

skryckman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have followed all the instructions for installing usb loader version 1.1 on this site. Everything installs fine until I hook up my Seagate FreeAgent Desk 500GB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 Silver External Hard Drive (which is listed in the USB Devices Compatibility List with one confirmed working). I have tried the device in both usb ports. Have tried turning the wii off too a red light before plugging it in and having the wii turned on and then plugging in the device but I always get the "Could not initialize USB subsystem! (ret = -1)" error and then telling me to restart the wii. I have also disabled the "sleep" feature of the hard drive with the Segate tools that came with the drive.

I know that everything installed properly because it will find my Kingston 2GB thumb drive fine. (I don't really want to try the hot swapping method for formatting). I have tried formatting the drive NTFS and FAT before trying it on the wii (there are no partitions, just one drive). I have also tried the modded usb loader with the 40 second delay built in with no luck.

I am running a softmodded wii with HBC, Gamma Loader .3 with Gamecube support on a 3.2U wii.

Can anyone think of anything that I can try or will I have to wait till it is updated, even though the drive is confirmed as working with others?

Thanks in advance.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Format it to wbfs with one of the gui programs on this forum beforehooking it up to the wii.

Also google around for other programs that format hard drives.
I kept getting that same error with my ipod until i used a certain program to format it once i did that and plugged it into the wii it was seen no problem.

MrFaust

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which of the GUI programs has the capability to format a usb hdd to wbfs? I haven't seen that option on any of them so far. But then again I might have just missed it.

darscot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok I got it to work, used a GUIto format the partition, but I dont think thats the problem. I think it has something to do with how this drive starts up. If I plug everything and start up my wii it doesnt work. If I hook up the USB but leave the drive unplugged. Boot up the wii and plug in the drive in the HBC it works.

1ronlung

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
darscot said:
Ok I got it to work, used a GUIto format the partition, but I dont think thats the problem. I think it has something to do with how this drive starts up. If I plug everything and start up my wii it doesnt work. If I hook up the USB but leave the drive unplugged. Boot up the wii and plug in the drive in the HBC it works.
I have a seagate freeagent desktop 320 gig. Been having the same issues as you guys. According to the compatability wiki, peeps have only got it to work by formatting the whole drive FAT32.
I have just a partition of about 30 gigs formatted wbfs. Tried your trick, and it went straight in !
Reckon you're onto something, with Seagates if nothing else
smile.gif

ironlung

JussiPik

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
had the same problem with my LaCie 500gb external HDD.

you could try to find a program from seagates(or other) website that allows you to
change the drive settings so that it never goes to sleep mode.

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JussiPik said:

you could try to find a program from seagates(or other) website that allows you to

heres the program i used on my seagate drive quoted from someone else it worked perfectly

QUOTE(CUBEpro @ Apr 4 2009, 11:53 PM) I had this problem with my Maxtor Basics 500GB drive. By default it would go into sleep mode after 15 minutes. So if i decided to pause for 15+ minutes it would just freeze at the next loading part in game.

I was able to fix this using a tool called "Maxtor Manager" which can be found here:
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000f5ee0a0aRCRD

I know it says it's for OneTouch blabla, but it worked fine with my Maxtor Basics drive anyway. Just change sleep to "Never" i settings.
Most drives out there probably have some similar tools, just look it up.

1ronlung

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1ronlung said:
darscot said:
I have a seagate freeagent desktop 320 gig. Been having the same issues as you guys. According to the compatability wiki, peeps have only got it to work by formatting the whole drive FAT32.
I have just a partition of about 30 gigs formatted wbfs. Tried your trick, and it went straight in !
Reckon you're onto something, with Seagates if nothing else
smile.gif

ironlung

Have changed drive to always on and am using the loader with extended timing. Still no good. Reckon I'm gonna have to stick with Darscot's method for the time being.
Just loading on games, so I can give it some sort of a proper test ....

skryckman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
darscot said:

Thank you, this did the trick for me. A little bit of a pain for ease of use but at least it works. Hopefully this bug will be fixed in the next release. Again, thank you.

skryckman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I also updated the Wiki information on this drive as well. Copied over first game from a burned copy and it works great.

Thanks again!

wiinublet

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
JussiPik said:

What kind of LaCie drive was it? I am currently using the d2 quadro without a hitch. (big grey aluminum box with the blue all seeing eye on top)

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
its an issue with the wii not waking the drive from standby proberly just switch off the drive each time you power the wii on to reboot it then load the loader once you have it running it should be good until you shutdown again.

having wiiconnect enabled with standby connection keeps the drive active at least untill you fully shutdown the wii.

also like mentioned grab seagates drive manager app if you dont have it from their site from this you can disable sleep.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=145864&hl=seagate

Neo1Spider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was waiting for a topic on Seagate Drive but I havent had luck with mine. I have a Seagate Freeagent Pro and it's not a silver casing and on the wiki it mentions it doesn't work with GeeXboX while mine does. Does anyone have one and got it to work? Plus what exactly do I have to have installed on the wii and what don't I need in there? I recently installed some stuff trying to fix by following others suggestion on this forum but none worked and I don't want to have stuff in there that might give problems (iso and cios for example).

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neo1Spider said:
I was waiting for a topic on Seagate Drive but I havent had luck with mine. I have a Seagate Freeagent Pro and it's not a silver casing and on the wiki it mentions it doesn't work with GeeXboX while mine does. Does anyone have one and got it to work? Plus what exactly do I have to have installed on the wii and what don't I need in there? I recently installed some stuff trying to fix by following others suggestion on this forum but none worked and I don't want to have stuff in there that might give problems (iso and cios for example).

i have a seagate freeagent 250 GB it is the silver case, its works prefect with the usb loader, but i did have to use a program on it to turn off sleep mode, which is posted above in a post i made

denpanosekai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here are the instructions from the Wiki for the 1TB seagate freeagent pro

QUOTE said:
Unplug power from drive, boot Wii, Load Homebrew, plug in power, wait until drive light glows, load usb loader.

I follow these exactly and it still isn't recognized. I'm using modified loader from Sorg w/ 40 sec delay.

earthworm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have the exact same drive and was experiencing the exact same problem....however I found a fix that works everytime!
smile.gif
I use the Lopst modified loader that gives 40 secs to detect the usb drive and then simply unplug the drive and plug it back in while the loader is searching for the drive. It's a little annoying to have to shut the drive on/off each time but it does work perfectly after that
smile.gif

denpanosekai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
earthworm said:
I have the exact same drive and was experiencing the exact same problem....however I found a fix that works everytime!
smile.gif
I use the Lopst modified loader that gives 40 secs to detect the usb drive and then simply unplug the drive and plug it back in while the loader is searching for the drive. It's a little annoying to have to shut the drive on/off each time but it does work perfectly after that
smile.gif

Sorg includes that LoPst modification in 1.02... making it the most complete loader (outside of having covers, which I don't care for)

Anyway good suggestion, happy that it works for you... but it doesn't for me
frown.gif

When you say "plug it out then in" do you mean the USB cable? Power cable? both?? Cause you do say "shut it on/off"...

Other question: Is your 1TB Seagate using 2 partitions? Because USB Loader doesn't see past 512 GB. Some of the other notes for that brand of external HD say that the non-WBFS partition has to be FAT32, _not_ NTFS (which is what mine is), so I'm starting to think that this could be the problem.

Anyone?? I don't want to spend 100$ on another disk, but I will if it means no more tinkering crap like this...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sodiumchickentirade