Sega Saturn Emulator Issues

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Kurt91, Nov 9, 2012.

Nov 9, 2012

Sega Saturn Emulator Issues by Kurt91 at 1:18 AM (1,100 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Kurt91
    OP

Member Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I've been trying to get an emulator for the Sega Saturn to work. I don't really care which one it is as long as it works, so I downloaded Satourne, SSF, and Yatouse. However, I can't figure out how to work most of these. I've been able to figure out how to run emulators for Nintendo 64 and PlayStation on my computer, so I'm pretty sure that the issues that keep coming up aren't because my laptop's not up to the task of running any of these.

One of the reasons I'm trying to get these to work is because I'm trying to help somebody with extracting stuff from the Saturn version of "Sonic 3D Blast". (The guy wants to make a full 3D Unreal Engine version of the game and wants textures and layouts) However, when I downloaded the game to run in the emulator, I found one site containing a version over 500 MB large in a zip file, and a different site with a 75 MB rar file instead. Because I've been having connection issues lately, I went with the smaller version, but checked the file sizes to make sure I downloaded the full file.

Now, I'm not entirely sure why I can't make this work. Is it because I'm not using a good version of the game, or is it just difficult to get these emulators working? (Yes, I also got the BIOS for the system as well.) I've never used an emulator that required mounting the iso file on a virtual drive, but I tried setting that up as well. All I can manage to do is get to the "Press Start" screen on my game, but nothing past that, and that's a best-case scenario.

Does anybody know what's wrong with my setup, or could they please direct me to somewhere with directions on how to set one of these up? I tried Google and didn't get anything, and the homepages for a lot of these emulators are in foreign languages.

2. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    By the sound of it, you have a rip of Sonic 3D Blast which probably omits the soundtrack. I would try to get the full version myself as I have had my own copy of Sonic 3D Blast work on SSF, just remember that the game is an absolute piss take on loading times

3. Kurt91
    OP

Member Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Is the soundtrack required to get audio in-game? 'Cause I've been able to hear the audio for the intro sequence just fine. I just haven't been able to get to an actual level. Then again, if what you're saying is right about the load times, then it's possible that I'm just not waiting long enough. Just how long do I have to wait to do anything?

4. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    I wouldn't "think" it is required to get in game, but you ca never too sure. While I couldn't tell you how long it takes for the levels to load in the game (been a number of years since i last played it) the levels do take extremely long to load for whatever reasons. Have you thought about trying another game just to make sure your computer can handle SSF?