SEGA and Microsoft are teaming up for a "strategic alliance" involving the Azure cloud platform

sega-and-microsoft-logos-with-xbox-series-x-s.jpg

While this kind of partnership isn't as shocking as one with Nintendo might be, SEGA will be forming a "strategic alliance" with its once-competitor Microsoft. The two companies will be teaming up in order for SEGA to explore creating "large-scale, global games" in the future, utilizing Microsoft's Azure cloud technology. This also includes what SEGA refers to as "Super Game". which is a new initiative all about releasing content that focuses on four main tenents: global, online, community, and IP utilization.

We are very pleased to announce today that we are considering a strategic alliance with Microsoft to help develop SEGA's new “Super Game” initiative as well as build a next-generation game development environment. By considering a strategic partnership with Microsoft, we seek to further advance our game development so that our titles can be enjoyed by fans all over the world; in this regard, we aim to build an alliance that utilizes both SEGA's powerful game development capabilities and Microsoft's cutting-edge technology and development environment.

According to a briefing from SEGA that took place in May 2021, one of these "Super Games" will be a key strategy for them, and is set to be released within the next five years. That same presentation also showed that SEGA believes in expanding older intellectual properties, by making reboots, remakes, and remasters of popular franchises.

SEGA has played such an iconic role in the gaming industry and has been a tremendous partner over the years. We look forward to working together as they explore new ways to create unique gaming experiences for the future using Microsoft cloud technologies. Together we will reimagine how games get built, hosted, and operated, with a goal of adding more value to players and SEGA alike.

:arrow: Source

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I as a pirate do not like clouds, at all.
Yeah, living with sunshine is better than living with just clouds and artificial light all year... you don't really know when lights will turn off and its consequences. The sun will always shine unless some big enough event happens, and at that point lack of sun will be the least of your worries.

You might say, sun shines thru' clouds. But that's not enough to live a healthy life.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are all games going to be MMORPGs in the future? monthly fees, internet required, removing features willy-nilly, inability to own the game?

Or is it closer to say it's more like an online arcade, where you get monthly pass to play whatever arcade games they have for the month?

I dunno, I know cloud gaming is going to stick around, and games are going to become a service rather than a product (except for steam and nintendo, maybe). but the positives don't outweigh the negatives. Ah well. Maybe the games will be fun at least.

"Sonic Cloud 2025! join sonic in the cloud and pay monthly for a subscription to Sega arcade!"

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I’m pretty sure SEGA had deployed Azure-based tech across their arcades a long time ago, they’re really into competitive arcade gaming, so a unified platform for development also makes sense to me.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people consider the Xbox the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast for various reasons. They were definitely more partners than competitors at any point. I mean, Sega factoring in the impending Xbox launch was probably one of the reasons they discontinued the Dreamcast when they did, but they immediately started putting exclusives on the Xbox and became profitable again not long after.

Anyway, if Sega were to be bought up I'd rather it be Nintendo since they're so much better at milking their IPs for all they're worth, and that's something that Sega really, really sucks at right now (aside from Sonic, obviously).

• Love
Reactions: ChibiMofo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?