VmprHntrD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got this off FoxNews
SCE Cutting Jobs

The amusing bit of it all is that it appears that Sony is blaming Nintendo on this.

TOKYO — Sony Corp.'s (SNE) game unit said on Thursday it planned to cut jobs in the United States and was eyeing restructuring steps in Japan as it struggles to keep up with industry rival Nintendo Co. Ltd.

Sony Computer Entertainment, which makes video games and the PlayStation 3 (PS3) console, announced plans in April to cut up to 160 jobs in Europe, or 8 percent of its work force there, and said it would look to streamline its U.S. and Japan operations.

Sony's game division posted an operating loss of 232 billion yen ($1.91 billion) in the year ended March 31 due to hefty start-up costs for the PS3, a spec-heavy console that has been losing out to Nintendo's simpler but wildly popular Wii .

You can read the entire writeup at the link. That opening line put a grin on my face despite it is causing lost jobs that sucks so badly as I know how losing game jobs to cuts are personally. For 10 painful years people buying Nintendo stuff saw that exact same damn sentence (minus the firing part) in the 180 degree opposite. Nice to see that it appears the *roughly* 10year pendulum is finally swinging back in the other direction. Nintendo had 85/86->95/96...then Sony got late 96/97-Late 06/07. Funny how the gap is the same bit...will it happen a 3rd time, who knows... we can check back in 10years and find out.
smile.gif

pikachucrackpipe

President
Trophies
Website
live.xbox.com
XP
Country
United States
idk ive played 2 of them and both froze within 10 minutes (different games also)
i looked into getting a ps3 but the extra cost from the xbox 360 plus i dont think they are games just on the ps3 that wont be on the xbox 360 anymore... except for whatever sony produces.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i bet in 2-3 years sony wont even be in the console market anymore.
They still have a future, its not over yet plus the PSP is doing better with each month and will have sold a lot more by the end of the year though game sales they seem to be suffering as its very easy to pirate, the DS is easy but requires other bits.

PS3 who knows really, the public seems less interested in it then before but it has some big named games coming soon, unfortunately (for them) most of them are heading to 360.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
idk ive played 2 of them and both froze within 10 minutes (different games also)
i looked into getting a ps3 but the extra cost from the xbox 360 plus i dont think they are games just on the ps3 that wont be on the xbox 360 anymore... except for whatever sony produces.
Actually FFXIII will most likely not be on 360, if that is not the case, sony is definately screwed.

UncleChuckle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Was one of them Motorstorm by any chance? Believe it or not (and you can search for this on Google to confirm it) Sony had the Motorstorm demo DELIBERATELY lock up, they're reasoning being "so people wouldn't stand there all day playing it".

Honestly, with the whole PS3 thing it seems every time I think Sony has run out of boneheaded moves, they find another one.

I was a Sony fanboy. I still have my PS1 and PS2. I don't own an Xbox. Only other consoles I own are a DS, a GBA and a Dreamcast... I'm a Gran Turismo nut, and a Metal Gear Solid nut...

And yet I would never even consider buying a PS3. Sony's arrogance and stupidity have pretty much murdered any loyalty I had to their systems.

pikachucrackpipe

President
Trophies
Website
live.xbox.com
XP
Country
United States

Actually FFXIII will most likely not be on 360, if that is not the case, sony is definately screwed.

isn't ffxiii like a fps or action game like zelda? i heard alot of people saying they went away from the traditional battle system even different then in ff12

Was one of them Motorstorm by any chance? Believe it or not (and you can search for this on Google to confirm it) Sony had the Motorstorm demo DELIBERATELY lock up, they're reasoning being "so people wouldn't stand there all day playing it".

Honestly, with the whole PS3 thing it seems every time I think Sony has run out of boneheaded moves, they find another one.

I was a Sony fanboy. I still have my PS1 and PS2. I don't own an Xbox. Only other consoles I own are a DS, a GBA and a Dreamcast... I'm a Gran Turismo nut, and a Metal Gear Solid nut...

And yet I would never even consider buying a PS3. Sony's arrogance and stupidity have pretty much murdered any loyalty I had to their systems.

i agree with you
i got one of the first ps2s and still have it but i just can't see getting it just because i had a ps1 and ps2, etc. i mean the only games i see worth getting will be on the xbox 360. and when the xbox came out, i was totally against it... until i saw how easy it was to mod and what you could do with it.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan

isn't ffxiii like a fps or action game like zelda? i heard alot of people saying they went away from the traditional battle system even different then in ff12
Well, some hardcore FF fanboys actually hated the change, but most FF fans and other people likes it better. It makes the game more exciting. Seiken Densetsu was succesful for that reason. I think FFXIII will still sell millions like XII. The system that gets to have it is extreamly lucky, because if FF follows it's tradition, it will only have that game on one system.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Sony lost it when they ditched their mainstream following and went after the high-tech market instead. It's a real shame, the PS1 and 2 did a lot to reach out to non-gamers, I can't for the life of me understand who in their right mind made the descision that Sony's current generation would scrap that whole concept. Casual gamers don't care about High Definition and will not pay £400+ just for a console, end of. I haven't seen the sales figures but I'd wouldn't be surprised if the PS2's outselling the PS3.

I've got nothing against Sony, I rather like them actually. But the PS3 and the PSP are just too expensive.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You would think after the ps1 and ps2, sony would be able to afford the loses. I still don't know why they don't sell the ps3 cheap and hope to make the money back from game and blu ray movie sales.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I still don't know why they don't sell the ps3 cheap and hope to make the money back from game and blu ray movie sales.
They are doing that. Sony loses a couple hundred dollars on every PS3 they sell.

If sony were 100% confident with blu ray being the next big movie format. They could cut the price even more. If they made the ps3 price around the same as the xbox 360 and released a few good ps3 games, it would sell a lot better. They then wait for blu ray to take off and make the money back that way.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They screwed over Lik-sang . It seems someone else is screwing them over.

What i cant see is that they are not starting to turn with their install base is everything strategy (worked for PS2) on the PS3. Which would mean that they have to hand PS3 out for free for atleast a full year from 2008 if they want to still be somewhere in 2009 ...

Because console sales and developers income wont be anything to write home (just producing on the PS3 might not be worth it) about when they have longer development cycles and thus fever games per console cycle.

Where wil Sony flee to next, their attitude towards the PS3 as a BlueRay player is something i couldnt care less about.

This is kind of worrying behaviour from something as bold as Sony used to be ....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.