Seeing files from old 3DS SD card from another console?

susbaconhairman

I am the official skribbler
OP
Trophies
Website
skribbl.io
XP
Country
United States
I found an old SD card from 2015, but I'm pretty sure I can't see any game saves or anything else on it because I used a different console back then, and everything's encrypted for that. How would I be able to see stuff now?

Doux91

Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
I found an old SD card from 2015, but I'm pretty sure I can't see any game saves or anything else on it because I used a different console back then, and everything's encrypted for that. How would I be able to see stuff now?
Using the sd in the console where the data were created, you need that console or the data of Nintendo 3ds folder is useless

Reactions: SylverReZ

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Come on, that has to be over-dramatized :cry:
Fortunately (there is more than gaming devices relying on it) not really. Correctly implemented AES cannot be cracked with bruteforce. Exponential functions really grow f a s t.

I've no idea where the weakness is, that allows seedminer to work (never looked into this and it is probably beyond my skill level anyway), but you will need some information (like the friend code) from the console you want to decrypt content for.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't sure if the movable.sed would allow this, like if you decrypted the sd card contents with it, then used the destination movable.sed to reencrypt it, it might work. no idea though.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
Fortunately (there is more than gaming devices relying on it) not really. Correctly implemented AES cannot be cracked with bruteforce. Exponential functions really grow f a s t.

I've no idea where the weakness is, that allows seedminer to work (never looked into this and it is probably beyond my skill level anyway), but you will need some information (like the friend code) from the console you want to decrypt content for.
My understanding is that there's actually *two* flaws that allow seedminer to brute force within only a few hours.
The movable.sed is 128 bytes long, however the first "flaw" is that the 64 bytes are identical to the friend code seeds, which is sent over to other 3DS consoles when you add them as a friend. The 2nd flaw is that the last 32 bytes is actually derived from the friend code seeds, so in reality you only need to brute force 32 bytes, which can be done with consumer grade hardware in a very reasonable amount of time (I think the seedminer site has an enormous amount of power behind it, allowing it to brute force in only a few minutes). If OP has a 2nd modded 3DS that has added the original 3DS as a friend, or know someone who added the original console on a modded 3DS, they 100% could use seedminer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: hello everyone