Seeing double on 3ds?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Nathan576, Jun 18, 2011.

Jun 18, 2011

Seeing double on 3ds? by Nathan576 at 10:22 PM (2,839 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Nathan576
    OP

Newcomer Nathan576 Advanced Member

United States
    I've been watching 3d trailers from e3 and sometimes things will be double. In the Zelda trailer I could see 2 link's sometimes, when Zelda was running away on the horse I saw 2 horses. Does this happen to anyone else or do I need to exchange my 3ds? I don't have any 3ds games yet so I can't test it out yet.

2. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    It's regular eye-ghosting from the eyes' binocular disparity.

The rule is; play too much, see too much ghosting; stop playing for half an hour and go outside.

3. shawnanastasio

Newcomer shawnanastasio Advanced Member

United States
    its called ghosting and it happens to almost everyone, when the background of the screen is dark the brightest thing on the screen will sometimes appear double.

4. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    I've found that tilting the system vertically can make the ghosting disappear.

5. Nathan576
    OP

United States
    Alright cool I was afraid I had a defective 3ds.

6. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    This is because your eyes can no longer find the 3D effect.

7. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    The symptoms point towards brain hemorrhaging or cancer. Do not be worried though - in both cases the death will be slow and painful. Do not bother calling the doctor, it's too late for you son/sister.

Just pray and enjoy your 3DS... till you can.

It's ghosting, yes. Turn the 3D down a bit and take regular breaks.

8. phantastic91

Member phantastic91 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    uhh...it could most likely be the 3ds technology's short coming. seriously, i think alot of people think that ghosting is caused by lack of rest, or too much gaming cause i keep hearing these same reasons. -_-. i don't think it's true. it's most likely because of having a dark background with some bright 3d object which causes the ghosting.
    edit: nvm i change my stance. your reasons could be true, BUT i find that the technology is most of the time at fault. if your tired from watching 3d and you see double images im pretty sure you're aware of it yourself cause your eyes would feel funny.

9. aiRWaLKRe

Member aiRWaLKRe GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The ghost can be from many different things: tired eyes ( take a break ), 3d slider too high and eyes can't compensate, holding the 3ds too close to your eyes ( I get this problem when I am laying down in bed and playing, the 3ds gets too close to my head and see the ghosting), defect unit ( highly unlikely ), you have moved the 3ds out of the sweet spot viewing angle

10. ccfreak2k

Newcomer ccfreak2k Advanced Member

United States
    It's from the parallax barrier letting light through.

11. Tom

Member Tom Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder

United States
    changing the angle of the screen helps, also light like sun (reflections) mess with it aswell

12. Gengar

Newcomer Gengar Member

United States
    The ghosting doesn't have anything to do with tired eyes, I gather that it's a problem of the screen.
    While closing one eye, I still see two different images (though only one of them is clearly visible and the other one, well, ghostly) and no matter at which angle I'm holding it aswell.
    How can this not be a problem of the screen?

13. Nathan576
    OP

United States
    I figured out that with movie trailers, the depth slider only goes on and off, nothing in the middle. So it's either max 3d or none at all. But with the game if you turn it down (around 30%) there is no ghosting at all.

14. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    That means you're either holding the 3DS at a bad angle or too close or in an extremely rare case you may have a bad screen.

Most likely one of the above 2. The display is DESIGNED with the thought that people will be at least 16 inches away from the screen while viewing it so make sure to hold it adequately back.

15. brandonspikes

Member brandonspikes King Erazer

United States
    They are all lying to you, you're going blind, in about 2 years you will lose your vision, in about 3 years you will lose your hearing, and in about 5-6 years, you will implode.

16. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    It's ghosting, really.

That's what happens on stereoscopic 3D screens without head trackers if you tilt it too much/view from a different angle. [​IMG]