Second USB port for Rocketfish dock?

arpruss

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anybody else noticed that the Rocketfish dock has a space on its PCB for a second USB connector? And has anyone tried to actually solder a USB connector to it?

I'm thinking of doing so, but one thought I had was that maybe they didn't include it because they were worried that the dock couldn't provide enough current for two USB connectors, so adding a second connector might blow something.

Here's a photo from the bottom, as I don't want to take the PCB out right now from the picture. But from the top, the traces leading to the blank spot are exactly like the ones that lead to the real USB connector.

usb.jpg

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you have enough amps to the dock, the dock will draw what it needs from the power adaptor as long as the amperage on the power adaptor is higher then what the dock is drawing your be good. I cant see another 5v 1amp usb port being a issue.

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

arpruss

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure i would be using a 3rd party dock with my switch considering the issues with nyko and other 3rd party docks chargers, Breaking switches.

The web seems to universally agree that Skull&Co and Insignia/Rocketfish docks are fine and don't break Switches. Further, my Switch is so dented that I am not sure it would even fit in the original dock.

Actually, that's my post, and it's the same dock. :-)

arpruss

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I checked and it looks like the pads on the second USB port are unpowered. They do have traces running from them to somewhere, though.

The PCB from above looks to me like they were planning on putting in a USB port, but changed their mind.

usb2.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6v3cT3b59A&t=12s