Hacking Second Generation Gateway 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User

They are most likely talking about new stock coming in, not a totally new flashcard by Gateway.

This is all just generating hype for this reseller, and you fell for it!

coldjim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
They are most likely talking about new stock coming in, not a totally new flashcard by Gateway.

This is all just generating hype for this reseller, and you fell for it!

I ordered before this, i ordered coz of the price. Is alot cheaper than other sites!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It's not uncommon for resellers to place non existent things for sale
http://r4town.com/products/Crown-3DS-card-for-3DS-game-play.html
http://www.bestr4i3ds.com/buy-evo-3ds-evo3ds-card-for-nitnendo-3ds-play-multi-3ds-roms-p-96.html
http://www.thegamerdepot.com/buy-k3ds-flash-card-for-3ds3dsxlds-3ds-mode-in-one-card-p-173.html

Basically sites just stick up a pre-order page at the first wiff of a new card coming out to catch customers first before there is even any proof it exists, not to say the sellers are scammers (although technically trying to sell no existing stuff is pretty boarder line) they will usually just ship an alternative or just the normal card that they tried to make sound like something new and exciting

PS incase it's not clear don't go trying to buy any of those they are just examples of how a slight rumor leads to pre-order pages

Rizzorules

"What are you doing?" "Something unexpected."
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Read the status update 7.x:

We have recently reached a major milestone regarding the 7.x encryption. We can say with certainty that we will soon be running 7.x games and 7.x applications (like eShop, PokeBank and YouTube) in our labs.

-------------We can already say that this will be possible with the current gateway hardware and will be supported in the form of a regular firmware update.-------------------

Some people might think we’re overcautious with releasing new firmware updates and holding stuff back.

But we would like to reiterate once again that quality assurance and smooth product experience is on the top of our lists. We really take our time to test everything as much as we can.

There’s a bunch of other (interesting) developments going on besides the 7.x encryption fix at the moment; but we will brief you guys about them in a later (more lengthy) news update. Most questions we get at the moment are 7.x related, so this one will be released out as soon as possible.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
this is a very profitable and common practice in the flashcart business though

Then I guess we can expect it soon. When they do, it'll probably be something that could easily be updated straight from the FPGA, but instead they'll release it as "A completely new flashcard with brand new features!". And then when someone on the interwebs releases a tool to update the old carts to work with the new firmware, Gateway will patch a new update to brick their consoles!

Make it happen, Gateway!

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
With stock shortages new revision seems likely. But I think it is just for cost reduction. Like Cobra ODE did it.

Reactions: Huntereb

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone here besides me know what an FPGA is?

Well, let me tell you. It stands for Field Gate Programmable Array. The main payload is on the SD card anyways, so it's not like they have memory restrictions to fit their new features into a tiny NAND chip. New hardware simply will never be needed. If they produce it they are just trying to grab more money by screwing existing customers. Gateway seems to care about their genuine customers. That is why I bought from them instead of a clone. That is why I believe they wouldn't do something like this.

I hope this isn't true because I just spent $80 on a Gateway last month. :/

Reactions: Huntereb

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
The only thing I could imagine them needing to make a new card for would be to increase security to stop the clones ripping off the firmware especially if they plan to add something new and amazing like 7.x console support......but I'm not sure there is much they could do on this front I don't think there is any practical way of adding any more security into the cart that wouldn't be cloned itself after a few weeks

Relys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I could imagine them needing to make a new card for would be to increase security to stop the clones ripping off the firmware especially if they plan to add something new and amazing like 7.x console support......but I'm not sure there is much they could do on this front I don't think there is any practical way of adding any more security into the cart that wouldn't be cloned itself after a few weeks

I don't think they will be adding 7.x console support. I don't think they do much RE and exploit writing. From what I heard they didn't even develop the original exploit.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
I don't think they will be adding 7.x console support. I don't think they do much RE and exploit writing. From what I heard they didn't even develop the original exploit.

They'll probably take it from whoever releases one first. I'm almost doubtful it'll be Smealum's "exploit" since it'll apparently only be usermode.

Would love to see someone hijack his project and make it something that's actually useful, though.

D

Deleted User

That is quite contradictory. They are the first to bring new features, and that can only happen if they are doing the heavy RE work. And you heard wrong. Because Gateway weaponized the mset and kernel vulnerabilities into something useful.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

I wasn't saying they where adding 7.x support, just that that would be the only thing I could think of that *might* need a new card revision........*if* it ever where possible, but anything software wise,a new card revisions would either be a cash grab or a revision to try secure their software against cloners by switching how the whole card works.....but imho it would only delay them until they churn out clone v2 as well

D

Deleted User

Gateway hasn't released a new card, it is the same one as a year ago.

This whole thread is baseless speculation. Unless there is official news from Gateway themselves this thread should be closed.

Reactions: gamesquest1

Relys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is quite contradictory. They are the first to bring new features, and that can only happen if they are doing the heavy RE work. And you heard wrong. Because Gateway weaponized the mset and kernel vulnerabilities into something useful.

They may have weaponized the mset and kernel vuln, but from what I've heard they didn't develop them.

A lot of flashcart/ODE types rely on leaching off of scene RE work to turn it in to a commercial product and make a quick buck.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All they did thus far was release a package revision, the cards stayed the exact same
When 2.1 was released there were some people that couldnt update due to defective soldering or other reasons, this are probably just already upgraded to 2.1 so they confirm they can be flashed before shipping

the-green

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
I don't think this is real....no.
5.+ / 6.+ support will come sooner or later, they must do that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum