SDHC Class 10?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by zzz92, Mar 24, 2011.

Mar 24, 2011

SDHC Class 10? by zzz92 at 7:25 AM (2,030 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. zzz92
    OP

Newcomer zzz92 Member

Singapore
    Hey there community, i'm a relatively new user of a flashcart. I'm about to gut my flashcarts, the iEDGE and the Acekard 2i. So i was looking around for a good SDHC card and saw that there was a new class of cards. Kingston Class 10 cards, 10mb/s. I was wondering, since the faster the rates of transfer the better performance of the rom and the cart, would it be wise to get the class 10 card?

It's a new class of cards, there has been only a 16gb version of it untill just recently when 4/8/32 versions were added.

[Most important part] Will it be able to work on the iEDGE or Acekard 2i? Or any flashcart as a matter of fact! Since it's a new class there may be compatibility issues.
    And has anyone used the class 10 for the carts? i really want to know as i want to buy the class 10 for my carts.
    i also wont be using it for any other purpose than for my carts.

i hope my query will be answered and it may even help out other people who has the same problem as me! [​IMG]

2. Jugarina

Member Jugarina GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yeah the class 10 cards work from my experience. Though I get my best speed out of my 16gb class 2 card If you can believe that. See the class number only has to do with the write speed of the card and that happens only basically when you are saving a game or transferring files. Way more important is the information they don't tell you which is the reading speed of the card. Get yourself a program that can test the read/write/mb/sec like H2testw_1.4 or something similar. Great program for testing speeds and also to determine If the cards are fake.

From what I have read Kingston cards are more known for their fast write speeds and slower read speeds so I never got any of those. I have used multiple Sandisk cards of many different class and the read/write speed is almost always different on each card, sometimes quite majorly. I actually found the class 2 and class 6 Sandisk cards have the best read speeds and work the best in flashcards.

I also have tried 2 Transend and 1 Patriot card. They where class 6 and 10. One of the Transend cards was defective new in the blister pack and the other didn't preform well. The Patriot card was fast both read and write but only lasted about 4 months then died which was a pity.

So to sum up, I like Sandisk the best in the class 2 and 6. They all have been working for a long time and have been solid and fast overall.

3. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

iEDGE, Acekard 2i support sdhc

i use 16gb 2class sdhc

4. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    The Class speed actually refers to the writing speed of the microSD card, not the reading speed.
    Although better writing speed usually means the card has a better reading speed, one does not cause the other.
    Some people are just fine using a class 4 card, I personally use a class 6 Samsung Plus that works great.

5. Jugarina

United States
    I have tested about 20 sdhc cards and I found the class 4 cards to be the worst in every brand. Every class 2 card I have had has outperformed a class 4 always in reading speed and sometimes even in writing speed. Most of my class 2's write at class 6 speed and none are under 3.5mb/sec almost class 4 anyways. The class 4's I ended up selling all just barely wrote at 4.0mb/sec or slightly higher like 4.2. and the read speeds where always clocking in under the class 2's. So like I said, unless you get a rare class 4 card that actually reads fast (which I never did yet) your better off passing on all class 4 cards. My order based on read performance alone is class 2, then class 6, then class 10. Almost seems like the brands are sacrificing reading speed to make the writing speeds faster.

6. zzz92
    OP

Newcomer zzz92 Member

Singapore
    Wow, icic. thank for the contribution. I understand better now.

could it be because that the class 2 are more "memory efficient?" [ sry it's 1.30am here and i've been out the whole day, my train of thought is like a rollercoaster now. ] What i mean that the files have less "slack" it's something to do with 2/4/8/16 ikb? is it? i'm sorry if i'm mistaken.

7. Jugarina

United States
    I am not quite sure what you mean but to answer your first question I would pass on the Kingston class 10 cards. I mean If you where gonna use the card in an HD camcorder then yeah I would say get that but for flashcards your better off with the lower class cards. Instead get yourself 2 Sandisk class 2 or class 6 cards. If you go with the class 2 cards you could probably get two of those for the price of one Kingston class 10 anyways. Then run that program I mentioned earlier on both cards and use the one that has the faster read speed which will probably have faster write speed also but not really important. Then the choice of using the slower reading card would be up to you as a backup or a swappable or you could just sell It and recoup some money.

8. zzz92
    OP

Newcomer zzz92 Member

Singapore
    Thank ZeroDeception!

I will take your suggestions but for now i will just stick with a class 4 kingston 4gb, as in my country it seems that all the mircosd has been standardized or something, everywhere i go is a standard class4, there isnt even a class 2/6. I will source out for 1 if i can but thanks for the advices! going to test my reading speed of my mircosd now!

9. Jugarina

United States
    Post the results here I am interested in the Kingston class 4 speeds since I never tested any Kingston cards.

I am just gonna take a guess for now and say 5.10mb write and 12.2mb read. I wonder how close I will be [​IMG]

10. zzz92
    OP

Newcomer zzz92 Member

Singapore
    Haha sure, testing it now. but so far you are wrong about the write speed =P it's hovering around 7.8mbps at the start and right now is at 8.04mbps contant. will have the final results in a few mins. =)

Also i found the thing i was talking about yesterday. It was cluster sizes, but now that i look at it, for the card to speed up, the cluster size of the card must be large, so i think it's not due to this that the class 2 has a faster read speeds than class 4. it may just be how the cards are made. =D

11. Jugarina

United States
    I read from others they wrote faster then other brand cards but I didn't think that much faster haha. I was thinking of going higher on the write speed but I didn't.

My fastest card I have is 6.99 write and 26.5mb read. That's a class 2 16gb Sandisk.

12. zzz92
    OP

Newcomer zzz92 Member

Singapore
    WOW!!! here are the amazing results!!!

Warning: Only 3767 of 3768 MByte tested.
    Test finished without errors.
    You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
    Writing speed: 7.95 MByte/s
    Reading speed: 12.6 MByte/s
    H2testw v1.4

Tested out of the box, with 24kb used space.

Note that i'm from singapore and my card is from taiwan[assembled in taiwan]
    i bought that card ytd from my local island wide bookstore, so this card is widely available.

13. Jugarina

United States
    Yeah the writing speed is impressive considering Its a class 4 It is writing at class 6+ speed. The read speed is decent, I had many cards that read between 12-15mb. Yeah that should work well in a flashcard I think you would only have slight lag If you where watching a movie but games and home brew should work great.

14. zzz92
    OP

Newcomer zzz92 Member

Singapore
    Guess i wont be needing a new card now =)

15. Jugarina

United States
    Nope you wouldn't need a new card unless you wanted more then 4 gb of space.