Hacking SD2VITA Version 2.0 Setup Guide and How to Use

slyboogy27

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simply asking how do I get the games to show up once plugged in. Also is there a special format needed for the microSD card for the piece and handheld to read it? How do I transfer the games? Is this more complex than I think it is? I'm sure it probably is but that's why I came here.

slyboogy27

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Madridi
Since I'm not getting any answer from Stephano could you shed some light on if I'll still be able to use the NonNpDrm plugin once I follow the steps above? Like will it be the same process?

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
http://cfw.guide/vita/more/sd2vita/

Yes you can use nonpdrm with an sd2vita.

The main consideration when using an sd2vita is that the line 'ur0:tai/gamesd.skprx' must always be the first one in the 'kernel' section of ur0:tai/config.txt, because the microsd needs to be mounted as ux0: before the system tries to load anything from it.
It's also good practice to place other plugins in ur0:tai rather than ux0:tai (and change the entry in ur0:tai/config.txt appropriately of course), although ux0 paths should work as long as the gamesd line is the first in the kernel section.

So you'd place the nonpdrm.skprx plugin (or other plugins you use) in ur0:tai/ and write the line ur0:tai/nonpdrm.skprx AFTER the gamesd line.

As always when using an sd2vita: ensure your ur0:tai/config.txt has everything you need configured in it, then delete the ux0:tai folder from anywhere it may exist (internal 1gb ux0 on vita 2000s/PSTV, the vita memory card if one is inserted and the microsd in the sd2vita).
That way there will be no confusion about which config.txt is used (ux0 or ur0), and the tai folder will always be available at boot regardless of what microsd/vita mem card is inserted, as it will be on the internal ur0 storage.

slyboogy27

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I'm gonna attempt to do this with a 256GB microSD card that I just bought.
I'm gonna write out a list of what steps I'm taking to do this and I want you @Count Duckula to go over it and check I'm executing everything correctly before ever doing it, because I have some more questions:
1) Download the SD2Vita drivers (done)
2) Download the zzBlank.img image (done)
3) If you haven't already, move your ux0:tai folder to ur0:tai and delete the ux0:tai
Okay the first question goes to step number 3, the only file I have within that folder is a text document with the title version.txt and all that's inside that file is the following: (Nothing - it's a character that looks like a block like this [ ] but not)
is it okay to just delete the folder and file altogether? Doesn't seem like it would do much but I'm not doing anything until I get the okay.

4) Copy the SD2Vita drivers to ur0:tai

Basically just move the gamesd.skprx to ur0:tai correct?

5) Add the following to ur0:tai/config.txt

*KERNEL

ur0:tai/gamesd.skprx

***the line 'ur0:tai/gamesd.skprx' must always be the first one in the 'kernel' section of ur0:tai/config.txt, because the microsd needs to be mounted as ux0: before the system tries to load anything from it.***
^^ that's what you said right? earlier? I'll make sure it's the first.
^^ Seems easy enough just don't include the *KERNEL part right? since it's probably already there from the NoNpDrm plugin?

since it's probably already there?

6) Backup your Vita Memory Card to your computer via VitaShell using USB or FTP

If you're using USB, make sure you have hidden files enabled and hidden operating system files enabled

^^ This step I come to more trouble with do I copy the ENTIRE Sony Vita Memory Card or just the ux0:/ directory

- just checking because I don't wish to do anything wrong.

- Note: I do have hidden files enabled and hidden operating systems too

7) Put your microSD card into your computer

^^ Easy enough

8) Download the latest release of Win32 Disk Imager (done)

9) Open Win32 Disk Imager and select zzBlank.img from your computer

^^ easy enough

10) Select your microSD and click Write

^^ Easy enough

11) Take out your microSD card and put it back in again

^^ I'm not sure why you have to eject and then plug it back in but ok

12) Format your card from Windows

File System: exFat

Allocation Unit Size: Default Allocation Size

Do not put a volume label

^^ Easy enough

13) Copy the backup you made earlier to the SD Card

^^ Copy the backup? The one I made of my PS Vita Memory Card early right? Hopefully, by tomorrow you'll answer and tell me whether I need to back up the whole thing or just the ux0:/ directory

14) Put the SD Card into the SD2Vita adapter and reboot your Vita

^^ Easy enough but after I'm done doing that how do I add the games?

Last edited by slyboogy27,
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
3) "As always when using an sd2vita: ensure your ur0:tai/config.txt has everything you need configured in it, then delete the ux0:tai folder from anywhere it may exist (internal 1gb ux0 on vita 2000s/PSTV, the vita memory card if one is inserted and the microsd in the sd2vita). That way there will be no confusion about which config.txt is used (ux0 or ur0), and the tai folder will always be available at boot regardless of what microsd/vita mem card is inserted, as it will be on the internal ur0 storage."

4) Yes

5) See https://pastebin.com/sZch2yC8 for an example

6) Think of ux0, ur0 etc as drives on a vita, not folders. Just like C:, D: etc are drives on in windows.
ux0: is the entire memory card. ur0: and other locations listed in vitashell are stored on internal system memory.
When using the sd2vita/gamesd plugin the microsd is mounted as the ux0: 'drive' instead of the vita memory card.

Connect the vita to your PC using vitashell USB mode, then copy all the contents of the drive that appears in windows to a folder on your PC. You then copy it all back to the microsd after you have formatted it as per the instructions.

12) Yep. If you are using a 200GB or larger microsd then change the 'default allocation size' to 64k. If using a smaller microsd just leave it all at defaults

13) The backup you made in step 6, aka all the files/folders that were on your vita memory card (app, data, pspemu etc etc)

A quick google will help you with installing games using nonpdrm. The release notes really tell you everything you need to know: https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/NoNpDrm

Last edited by Count Duckula,

slyboogy27

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to get the card working but when I try and connect it via USB it only brings up my original memory stick not the new one that actually shows up on VitaShell as 239GB free.
Please help me @Count Duckula I'm so close I have a few games ready to place on there.
*Edit* I'm assuming I place the games in the app folder on the SD2Vita card and then refresh the livearea once in VitaShell?
That worked lol I had one more question before I end this post (unless you can help me quickly on it?)
I tried installing adrenaline and kept getting errors I remember it was very easy before with the "Easy" Installer but now I can't seem to get it to install on my vita.
Any word on that Count? I'd greatly appreciate a link to a good tutorial if you know of any or just tell me yourself.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Last edited by Count Duckula,

slyboogy27

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant to write I was having a bit of trouble loading adrenaline directly off my sd2vita card after first installing it of course. I decided to just delete everything that wasn't a ps vita game and leave the card be only for vita games, it's a big card so it could handle more but I'm happy with where you got me already so thank you.

slyboogy27

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay @Count Duckula now I need to learn how to use NoNpDrm with the SD2Vita plugin installed. I think I might have done something wrong and had to reset my system to it's factory settings, install molecular shell, vitashell and enso all over again. I just finished installing NoNpDrm to the regular psvita memory stick and am working again on booting up from the SD2Vita card - I remember I kept seeing a message that said you need to format this memory card in order to use it and it kept sending me in an infinite loop so I had to revert to factory settings.

EDIT
Main question: Can I take the SD2Vita out of the slot (leaving the regular Vita card inside of course) and pop in a Vita game and use NoNpDrm to copy the game to the Vita memory card like I used to do?

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've never tried it myself so cant provide much info, I'd say just give it a go.

If you power the vita on with the gamesd plugin active but no sd2vita inserted it should leave you with the actual vita memory card as ux0, so if you have vitashell installed on the vita mem card you should be fine to create a backup of a cart and its license as per https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/NoNpDrm

slyboogy27

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time I try to unplug the SD2Vita and use the Vita memory card it ALWAYS asks me to format the memory card before I go into the menu (actually it doesn't even let me into the live area screen) it just keeps rebooting with the same question everyone, "do you wish to format the memory card" I'm lost but what I asked on this forum was answered so thank you, maybe I'll create a new thread to find out more in depth of what I want (basically what you just said, take sd2vita out and regular vita memory kicks in) but for now I'm just ripping games then when I have enough I'll use the sd2vita ALL the time and won't try to make the swtich anymore, too complicated if you ask me (but maybe I'm missing something) but I did reinstall the vita restore point 3 times trying to figure out what I did wrong and can't seem to find a fix. The vitashell app and molecular shell eventually disappear after I start using the sd2vita.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.