SD Mind Boggler!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Riicky, Apr 2, 2010.

Apr 2, 2010

SD Mind Boggler! by Riicky at 4:33 AM (1,318 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Riicky
    OP

Member Riicky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    A few months ago, my SD Slot refused to read anything in the Wii menu,HBC, etc.. But when inserted prior to starting up the wii..it would load bootmii and allow me to dump my nand AND restore my nand from the SD card...Yesterday I tried out sneek, and low and behold, my sd slot works fine within Sneek, but not in the regular system menu???? and the dump im using for sneek, is mine so it's not a different dump...Does anybody have any clue on why this is happening??

2. Riicky
    OP

United States
    I tried 7 different SD cards (3 2GB's,3 1GB's, and a cheap 256mb), all of which I used on the wii before the sd slot started acting up, so I know it's not the cards. I even re-formatted all of them and tried them again, and the same thing, they work with sneek and bootmii, but not with regular system menu

3. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Well man, they use different SD code, and hence have different compatibility.

Although I believe that the system menu is generally more compatible than bootmii, this must just be a rare case where bootmii is the only one compatible.

On the chance that there is another cause, try formatting the card, to both FAT and FAT32.

Otherwise your only hope would seem to be waiting for system menu update that improves SD card compatibility (good luck...).

4. hdhacker

Member hdhacker GBAtemp Fan

United States
  5. What system menu is it? 4.0 or above? SDHC compatiblity was added into those...then maybe it would show?

6. Riicky
    OP

United States
    4.2U...and I've used the SD Formatter already lol..no go...the f'd up part is, is that I know the wii recognized that an SD is in there, it just refuses to read any card I throw at it

7. thesund0g

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    Heh, it almost sounds like an old boot sector virus.

8. Riicky
    OP

United States

...no

9. thesund0g

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    I didn't say it was one. I just meant that the situation reminded me of some of the behaviors you would see with some boot sector viruses way back in the day.

10. Riicky
    OP

United States
    if anyone is still reading this topic, is there a specific IOS that handles SD card reading/writing, or is in the system menu?....I've tried installing 3.2,4.0,4.1,4.2..getting the same results

11. m-tek

Member m-tek GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I had a similar problem , found it to be the sd slot itself...

simply pushing the sd card in and holding it as far in as it would go did it... strange I know but worked for me...

seemed as if the contacts weren't connecting properly (springing back to far)