Hardware SD Cards not being recognised after system update

byron172

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi - I've had a softmodded wii for a few years now and managed to sort out most issues through this site and wiikacks - but I've recently hit a snag that I can't work out. My son accidentally updated our Wii to 4.3 which I have since rehacked and got everything up and running again from my HDD except for one thing:
SD cards are registering as being in the slot - they are all SD cards I have used before in the wii but now I get this message "The device inserted in the SD card slot cannot be used".

I'm wondering if the update killed my SD slot functionality to prevent further hax? Or if it is something else. Anyone else heard of this happening before or any suggestions what to try?

In case it makes any difference - after the accidental system update I still had HBC but nothing would run, so I installed ModPack (as per MauiFrogs guide) and everything started working again.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any assistance - it'll be much appreciated!!

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I first hacked my Wii, it gave me the same message. But I saw a few days ago that I was able to copy data from the root to the SD card. You might try removing the HBC from it; there should be save data in the regular storage channel. I don't know what I did, though; all the files for hacking are still on there.

byron172

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the fast reply! I have used a variety of SD Cards and none have HBC on them (I'm running all my apps and HBC from an ext HDD). Have even tried formatting with MauiFrogs suggested tool (Panasonic SD Card Formatter) and Windows format (both FAT and FAT32). All with no luck. The worst part is - one of the cards has all my DLC for Rockband 3 on it (that I actually paid for)!! Don't suppose there's anything else I could try?

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a private folder on my SD card; maybe if you make one, it'll work. I was surprised when I saw it, but maybe that's what it needs.

It's the private/wii/ and all your Wii apps would be in that one...

byron172

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That doesn't work either unfortunately.....it might just be that the slot itself is FUBAR but it seems too coincidental that it happened after the 4.3 update.

byron172

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
All my hacking files are on the ext HDD not on the SD Cards. My SD Cards are purely used for DLC and gamesaves. I don't think it's the cards because they all worked fine before and I have tried 5 and none of them are recognised.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it is really screwed then. :( I really can't help you now; I wish Cyan or JoostinOnline could help.

Edit: I think I heard that you'd needed to remove all your cards before you upgraded to anything.

byron172

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
HBC launches with or without HDD or SD Card plugged in, but does not recognise any of the SD Cards (have set up the file structure on each with apps, private and wads folder). Also - none of my USB loaders recognise the SD Cards either. Is it likely the slot?

It's worth noting that the SD Card icon shines blue on the System Menu page when an SD Card is inserted so it knows something is in there. And also - if I insert the card on the data management screen it says "Loading" for a couple of seconds before reverting back to the "not recognised" message.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So just to make sure, your apps are laid out like so:

SD/apps/MMM/boot.dol
SD/apps/Wiiflow/boot.dol
SD/apps/AnyTitleDeleter/boot.dol
SD/apps/SoOnAndSoForth/boot.dol

correct? (Note that you may be using other apps, this is just an example of the file structure. As long as your apps are laid out like this, you're good)

Other files (meta.xml, for example) may also be in the folders but the boot.dol is the important one. If your SD card is indeed laid out like that and HBC isn't picking anything up on it (Make sure you hit 1 on your wii remote and click "SD Card", too) then it's probably your slot. Maybe your son, one of his friends, or someone else in the household took the SD card out for whatever reason and accidentally put it back in the wrong way and managed to bend a few pins or throw them out of whack.

If your SD card is laid out like that and it happens that it wasn't set to check the SD card for apps (like I said, 1 on the Wii remote when you're in HBC and then click "SD Card"), then I had read somewhere a few days ago from someone with the same issue on another site that someone had set their System Menu IOS to something other than "Default" through priiloader - IOS36 in their case. Changing it back through priiloader to load the default System Menu IOS solved it for them.

byron172

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi - thanks for your help. The file structure on my SD Card are correct (as per your description) and no luck. But I will check my Priiloader settings - this is good. I have a feeling it is to do with the fact that I have re-modded over the top of the already modded system. Maui frogs guide (as you probably know) auto installs all the wads in your wad folder and therefore it installed all my previous wads as well as the default ones that he packaged into his ModPack. I reckon it might be to do with conflicting IOS settings/installation as suggested.

PS - Thanks also to Leo, but no none of my apps are recognising the SD Card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.