Hardware SD Card problem

geruetzel

Member
Newcomer
Joined
Mar 31, 2011
Messages
13
Trophies
0
XP
116
Country
Australia
the original sd card shipped with my 3ds stopped working properly.
e.g. if i start the camera app, it says that no SD card could be detected (my system is in german so i don't know exactly what the error message is in english).
my pc has no problem detecting the card or read/write from/onto it.
i tried reformatting it in FAT and FAT32 but either wouldn't work...
i tried using another SD card which i took from my digicam, didn't work as well.

someone having similar problems? any suggestions what else i could try?
is my 3ds defect?

the first time i noticed that the card doesn't work was while playing ridge racer, when the game told me it couldn't save the extra data on the sd card....
 

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2009
Messages
12,662
Trophies
1
Location
Netherworld
XP
5,924
Country
United States
Yea because normally 3DSes are like that.

My 3DS has nothing wrong with it.
happy.gif


Plus it seem SD card is not working not the 3DS.
 

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Joined
Apr 13, 2008
Messages
3,336
Trophies
0
XP
1,034
Country
Albania
Slyakin said:
Damn...

Can the 3DS not have ENOUGH problems?

I might just trade it in and wait for the NGP...
There are scattered issues due to everyone's 3DS being from the first batch. If you are experiencing one, Nintendo will replace it. How is the NGP relevant?
 

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Joined
Apr 13, 2008
Messages
3,336
Trophies
0
XP
1,034
Country
Albania
Nollog said:
Midna said:
How is the NGP relevant?
It's a competing handheld.
And how is it relevant, especially considering hardware defects are present in nearly every first batch of manufactured batch of gadgets. My brother's iPhone 3G was DoA if I remember. At least there isn't a lot of that kind of defects going around. Given that it hasn't come out at all, you don't know if the NGP will have these kinds of issues as well, Slyakin.
 

Nollog

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2008
Messages
2,964
Trophies
0
XP
1,324
Country
Ireland
Slyakin said:
I might just trade it in and wait for the NGP...
That's how it's relevant.
She's dis-pleased with the quality so she's prepared to wait 9-10 months for a competitor to impress her.
 

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2008
Messages
4,450
Trophies
0
Age
25
Location
Soviet Slyakin
XP
367
Country
United States
Midna said:
Nollog said:
Midna said:
How is the NGP relevant?
It's a competing handheld.
And how is it relevant, especially considering hardware defects are present in nearly every first batch of manufactured batch of gadgets. My brother's iPhone 3G was DoA if I remember. At least there isn't a lot of that kind of defects going around. Given that it hasn't come out at all, you don't know if the NGP will have these kinds of issues as well, Slyakin.
Like Nollog said, it's a competing handheld.

It also has more time to develop; I'm sure it'll have less problems then whatever the crap is happening to the 3DS.

But, you have a point. I have no fucking clue if it WILL have problems or not.
 

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2009
Messages
12,662
Trophies
1
Location
Netherworld
XP
5,924
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Like Nollog said, it's a competing handheld.

It also has more time to develop; I'm sure it'll have less problems then whatever the crap is happening to the 3DS.

But, you have a point. I have no fucking clue if it WILL have problems or not.
Is your 3DS even having problems?
 

Mondegreen

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
Nov 17, 2010
Messages
75
Trophies
0
Age
24
Location
Melbourne
XP
137
Country
Everybody's complaining about the build quality of the 3DS. Hinge rattles, dead pixels, faulty cameras, bad SD cards etc. I personally have absolutely no problems with my 3DS at all. I'm enjoying every minute I spend on it.
 

Nollog

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2008
Messages
2,964
Trophies
0
XP
1,324
Country
Ireland
ObJeCtIoN!!!! said:
Everybody's complaining about the build quality of the 3DS. Hinge rattles, dead pixels, faulty cameras, bad SD cards etc. I personally have absolutely no problems with my 3DS at all. I'm enjoying every minute I spend on it.
1.1 million sold in EU and JP alone, there's bound to be a lot of people complaining when the pool is so large.
No problems with my 3DS, or the others I bought.

I really doubt the SD reader is broke, they're not very complex things so there's not much to break.
I just put the idea out there since she tried 2+ cards, and the cards work on PC.
 

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2009
Messages
604
Trophies
0
Age
27
Location
Nintendo World
Website
Visit site
XP
127
Country
United States
ya
i have no problems with mine and a friend of mine doesnt either.

i would say a total of 1.8 million were sold and about 150,000 have problems

the more there are, the more complaints
 

awssk8er

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2007
Messages
1,605
Trophies
0
Age
28
Location
New Jersey
Website
Visit site
XP
324
Country
United States
ObJeCtIoN!!!! said:
Everybody's complaining about the build quality of the 3DS. Hinge rattles, dead pixels, faulty cameras, bad SD cards etc. I personally have absolutely no problems with my 3DS at all. I'm enjoying every minute I spend on it.
Same.

Also, I'm guessing you checked if the SD card was locked... correct?

Even if it was, I would think it would say, "SD Card Locked" not "Insert SD Card".
 

Nollog

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2008
Messages
2,964
Trophies
0
XP
1,324
Country
Ireland
awssk8er said:
ObJeCtIoN!!!! said:
Everybody's complaining about the build quality of the 3DS. Hinge rattles, dead pixels, faulty cameras, bad SD cards etc. I personally have absolutely no problems with my 3DS at all. I'm enjoying every minute I spend on it.
Same.

Also, I'm guessing you checked if the SD card was locked... correct?

Even if it was, I would think it would say, "SD Card Locked" not "Insert SD Card".
"Cannot write to the SD Card.
Please move the write-protection switch to the off position."
lol, wow.
I just did it there and it's pretty much impossible to get away without knowing it's write protected.
There was like 4 different pop-ups about it, even one when I took it out to switch it back.
 

spiritofcat

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2007
Messages
577
Trophies
0
XP
202
Country
geruetzel said:
my pc has no problem detecting the card or read/write from/onto it.
i tried reformatting it in FAT and FAT32 but either wouldn't work...
i tried using another SD card which i took from my digicam, didn't work as well.
When you say reformatting it wouldn't work, do you mean that the PC could not format it, or that formatting it still didn't make it readable to the 3DS?
If the PC can read the SD cards but the 3DS can't then it definitely sounds like a problem with the 3DS.

A couple of other members here have had SD card problems due to bad SD card readers for the PC:
http://gbatemp.net/t286377-i-think-my-sd-card-is-corrupted
http://gbatemp.net/t286804-pc-wants-to-format-sd-card
But in those cases the card stopped being readable in the PC as well.
 

geruetzel

Member
Newcomer
Joined
Mar 31, 2011
Messages
13
Trophies
0
XP
116
Country
Australia
spiritofcat said:
geruetzel said:
my pc has no problem detecting the card or read/write from/onto it.
i tried reformatting it in FAT and FAT32 but either wouldn't work...
i tried using another SD card which i took from my digicam, didn't work as well.
When you say reformatting it wouldn't work, do you mean that the PC could not format it, or that formatting it still didn't make it readable to the 3DS?
If the PC can read the SD cards but the 3DS can't then it definitely sounds like a problem with the 3DS.

The formatting did work, but the 3DS still isn't detecting it properly...
I'm gonna send it in on monday... (damn)

edit: the cards were not locked...
 

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    T @ tungns: and all game card are sold is bootleg