SD card on suicide watch. PLEASE HELP

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Bloodstarz, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Bloodstarz
    OP

Bloodstarz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2015
    Canada
    My SD card keeps telling me it's not detected on my 3ds and that i have to format it on my computer. It was working perfectly yesterday with no problems whatsoever. I have too many important files in there... HELP

2. Bloodstarz
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2015
    Canada
  3. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    Did you take it out without using the safe remove feature? Or did you take it out while the 3ds was on? If neither of those 2. Something happened and it got corrupted... what format is it in the properties and how much data does it say that theres on it?

4. BADDINOROX99

BADDINOROX99 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 9, 2015
    United States
    That's exactly what happened to me 64 gigabyte memory card I tried a bunch of different programs to format it I try to force format it nothing worked.. and when Windows would format it it still wouldn't open my sd card died

5. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    By any chance do you have a sandisk sd card?

6. Bloodstarz
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2015
    Canada
    I've been trying this tool but i doubt it'll let me recover my stuff upload_2016-2-4_15-51-18.png

7. BADDINOROX99

Sep 9, 2015
    United States
    mine was a 64GB lexar micro SD with an SD adaptor

8. Bloodstarz
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2015
    Canada
    Mine's a Sandisk 64gb SDXC microsd card.

9. BADDINOROX99

Sep 9, 2015
    United States
    I had one of those as well and it also died.. I've had better success on my 32 gigabyte micro SD card

10. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Backup often peeps!! SD cards are fickle buggers at the best of times, and have a limited life anyway, shortened considerably when you're constantly to-ing and fro-ing with your 3DS one.... Not letting your 3DS fully shut down is also a good way of corrupting your card - yeah I've done that too! :lol:

OP: the EaseUS program you're using is pretty good, you should recover most (maybe all) your data, though your folders might end up a bit jumbled up. Alternatively use ZAR, which I prefer (though they do much the same thing really)

Captain_N likes this.
  11. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    What kind of SD is it?
    NVM 1 sec
    Use this your packaging should have come with a code for it http://www.lc-tech.com/rescuepro/ if you dont have a code you can probably orrent it.

Last edited by Xenon Hacks, Feb 4, 2016
  12. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    I have 2 of these cards. 1 in my 3ds and the other in this case. 3 of these cards have shit out on me and thank god they have something to lock the data when corruption occurs. Ive sent 3 of them to sandisk for repairs so far. Each one a repair for the other. This is my 4th replacement.. sandisk is not good imo.. but hey if you can get your data off after that i advise calling the sandisk for a replacement if it has a warrenty?

Attached Files:

13. Bloodstarz
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2015
    Canada
    I'm trying this. I'll report soon

14. Wander's Hat

Wander's Hat Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2015
    +1 on EaseUS. I easily recovered NTFS data via a Mac version of the program. I also recently, and stupidly, formatted my data hard drive (I had important data there - particularly 100GBs of music) after trying to format my memory card. I used EaseUS (Windows ver, this time) to help recover it. That was a fun week. I did lose an album and a single, but I recovered them easily via backups so it wasn't too bad (+1 on backups, too!).

Use extra precautions when transferring files to SD cards - right click the drive and click Eject, switch off the console before removing it, make sure the SD card is cold enough to put into the console. That's a bizarre one but bear with me - I had SD card pieces stuck in my 3DS because the heat made them even more fragile. I fixed it by accidentally dropping the console. I wish I was making it up.

15. reiyu

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    don't tell me this is the sandisk that you bought from bestbuy a while ago from a different topic?

16. Bloodstarz
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2015
    Canada
    ...........yes

17. reiyu

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    oh boy, i hope you really didn't get a dud. best if you backup your files asap and get the card RMA-ed.

18. N64

N64 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 16, 2014
    United States
    i'm glad you posted a pic. fuck, i gotta start backing mine up.

19. Bloodstarz
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2015
    Canada
    That's the thing. It fucked up BEFORE i could backup it.

20. reiyu

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    oh nuts... RMA that thing. you can try to use a 1:1 copier but i doubt that would grab all the files in perfect condition. might as well start fresh. sorry to hear about the card :(