SD card, how much space?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by simonhwsn, Nov 7, 2014.

1. simonhwsn
    OP

simonhwsn Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2011
    United States
    I have 2 3DS one of which I will use only for loading backups with gateway, it's the first model so it came with a 2Gb SD card and I think it won't be enough given the fact that I'll need 1Gb or so for emunand and I heard that Smash Bros requieres at least a 4Gb card, do you think an 8Gb card would be enough? which retail games require space on the SD card besides Smash Bros?

2. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Very few actually require space. And if they do, it's a very minimal amount. I am able to get by with a 4GB card just fine, so an 8GB card should be more than enough.
    If you ever plan to download things from the eShop or install .CIAs, then you might need the space for it, though.

3. zhdarkstar

zhdarkstar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
  4. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    I'd make sure to get a reputable brand like Sandisk from a real brick & mortar chain store (or the website of a real B&M chain, definitely not eBay or Amazon), to avoid fakes, rather than looking for the absolute cheapest price.

As for size, 4GB seems plenty big for me, 8 should give you more than you could possibly fill unless you start buying full games digitally (and if you're using Gateway, why would you).

5. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    I got a 16 gig Sandisk Ultra from Wal-Mart for like $15 to replace my old one because i kept having issues with freezing when resuming from sleep mode or trying to hit home during game play. No problems as of yet.

6. Rediska

Rediska Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2014
    Serbia, Republic of
    64Gb worked fine with Fat32.... i think 128Gb will works fine with fat32.

7. MelonGx

MelonGx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    1. MH4 MH4G SmashBros require 1-4GB free space otherwise the game will not run properly.
    2. emuNAND occupies 1GB.
    3. All patches in JPN e-shop are about 3GB. USA/EUR patches will be smaller.

So at least you need a 8GB SD card.