Hacking SD card extension idea

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello everyone, I was wondering if something like this would work with the Wii U. We could theorically connect an external usb hard drive to this adapter and enjoy more space for applications like Loadiine for example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JY-USB-SD-M...lling-Navigation-on-Car-Vehicle-/281279301327
I think you are missing something important there. The adapter has a SD and a USB input, and a SD and USB output. It's basically just an extension cable, you'd still need something plugged into both the input and output of the USB for that part to work.

shaneod

Trophies
XP
Country
This adapter looks like a SD to USB adapter.
A USB to microSD adapter exists, and you could then plug the microSD card into a SD adapter, but it's so rare that it's not worth looking for it.

bobino36

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It looked to me like you could connect a usb hdd/usb stick in the usb port and then connect the SD card ribbon in the Wii U sd card slot but like The Real Jdbye mentioned, it probably doesn't do the usb to sd card conversion and is simply an extension.

shaneod

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah, I know. I said it was so rare that it wasn't worth looking for. It would almost certainly work, considering it worked for someone using a 3ds.

BeefyBeagle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few problems:
1) The SDHC protocol that the Wii U uses to communicate with the adapter would still limit the addressable memory space to 32GB.
2) USB 2.0 speeds are actually slower than what SD cards are now capable of, and a similar adapter that supports USB 3.0 devices would likely require an external power source.

bobino36

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A few problems:
1) The SDHC protocol that the Wii U uses to communicate with the adapter would still limit the addressable memory space to 32GB.

What if the hard drive is formatted in fat32? I'm currently using a SDXC(64GB) formatted to fat32 with the wii u and it works well.

BeefyBeagle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if the hard drive is formatted in fat32? I'm currently using a SDXC(64GB) formatted to fat32 with the wii u and it works well.
Interesting. Today I learned that although Windows does not allow formatting >32GB drives as FAT32 and that SDXC cards must ship as exFAT, there isn't actually a technical limit that prevents FAT32 drives from exceeding 32GB. Since the Wii U supports FAT32, it may be able to support drives up to a few TB large.

Also, looking more into Wii U SD capabilities, it does not appear to support the UHS protocol. This means an actual SDHC/SDXC would be no faster than what you could achieve with a USB 2.0 device.

But there's still a problem of insufficient power. External USB SSD drives typically require 5V @ >500mA, while SD cards are designed to use <4V @ <100mA. So this theoretical adapter will still require external power.

Net-KILLER

computer says no
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction