SD Card error

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by .Darky, Sep 10, 2016.

1. .Darky
    OP

.Darky GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 21, 2008
    Peru
    Lima
    Today I installed a newly downloaded .cia file (the latest Phoenix Wright game) on my sd card and got a never ending 3DS loading screen. Thought it was a bad dump so I hard reset the system and proceded to delete the game. After downloading a working copy (this time it was criptofixed) I connected the card to my laptop so I can copy the .cia file to it, and...it just won't recognize it. I honestly don't know why. Everytime I try to open the card it says I must reformat it, but hell if I'd ever want to do that. Is there anyway to fix this? My 3ds recognizes the card just fine.

2. xyxa

xyxa Dokoro

Aug 24, 2016
    Somalia
    @.Darky If your 3DS can read the SD card fine, then there's a possibility that you could use FTPD to access the files on the SD card on your computer.

Edit: ftpd link: https://github.com/mtheall/ftpd

Last edited by xyxa, Sep 10, 2016
  3. .Darky
    OP

.Darky GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 21, 2008
    Peru
    Lima
    Will try it out, cheers. Does anyone know of any other methods? I'm kind of losing my shit here.

Last edited by .Darky, Sep 14, 2016
  4. .Darky
    OP

.Darky GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 21, 2008
    Peru
    Lima
    Just realized I can't use this since I can't install anything on my SD card, not even via QR since I lack the necessary apps. I've also tried using file recovery programs like EaseUS and after the scan it won't detect any files. I've read that formatting the card and then using this programs is more effective, but I honestly don't want to risk it. Damn, there has to be another way.

5. Temarile

Temarile (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)

Jan 7, 2016
    Netherlands
    Sounds like a corrupted sd card to me :/

xyxa likes this.
  6. .Darky
    OP

.Darky GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 21, 2008
    Peru
    Lima
    Are you sure? It works fine when I use it on my 3DS. As if nothing had happened.

While looking for a way to fix it I found out it had reset to a raw format.

7. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You should use SD card management to copy all your stuff to your PC as a backup. If it were me I would not trust my data to that card.

8. .Darky
    OP

.Darky GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 21, 2008
    Peru
    Lima
    Where can I get this? As I've said before I can't download anything via QR code. I can't even access the e-shop since I started using CFW, an error pops up everytime.

9. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    System Settings -> Data Management -> SD Card Management

10. Bohamad93

Bohamad93 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 11, 2016
    Libya

11. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Make a sd dump with dd on your computer and ask a friend about file recovery. Google will help you a lot with this

Dont experiment with the card before you have a 1:1 dump else it could make recovery impossible.

Also make sure that the culprit is not the SD reader you're using

12. .Darky
    OP

.Darky GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 21, 2008
    Peru
    Lima
    Sadly, I have a regular 3DS so I can't really do this since it's a N3DS exclusive feature.
    Alright, will try this next.

More opinions are welcome guys. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

13. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If you have HBL set up on your 3DS, there's a FTP homebrew included with the starter kit that you can use.

14. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Ah, sorry! Hopefully you can make a 1:1 dump and restore it to another SD card.

15. .Darky
    OP

.Darky GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 21, 2008
    Peru
    Lima
    After trying lots of programs to restore the files to no avail I made a image back up of my SD card with USB Image Tool, hoping that restoring the image to a new formatted SD card would work. Well, it didn't. And I honestly don't know what to do now. I even deleted the FTP homebrew that was included with the pack long ago, thinking I'd never use it.

Is there anything else I can do? Or should I start from scratch on this new SD card I just bought. Please say I don't need to.

16. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Try it in Linux. Often times Linux can handle errors that Windows can't. I suggest one of the Live DVD ones so you don't have to install anything or mess with virtualbox.

17. .Darky
    OP

.Darky GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 21, 2008
    Peru
    Lima
    I'm not familiar with Linux at all, man. Wouldn't even know what to do after I'm done installing it.

18. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Use ddrescue to make an image out of it and analyse it with testdisk for file/partition recovery.
    I would really suggest to use ddrescue because it can handle Read-Errors much better than most imaging software out there.

If testdisk fails to find anything and/or can't restore the partition, last chance is to use GetDataBack for FAT but I wouldn't bet on it that it works (but it can restore the filesystemstructre+Filename&path which testdisk can't do always).

Last edited by GothicIII, Nov 19, 2016