Homebrew COMPLETED ScummVM

Josh1979

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First I want to say thank you. This is amazing. I had this set up on my switch and the first time it worked great. Now when I load any game it just goes to a blank black screen and I have to hard reset. Anyone know how to fix this issue?

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
First I want to say thank you. This is amazing. I had this set up on my switch and the first time it worked great. Now when I load any game it just goes to a blank black screen and I have to hard reset. Anyone know how to fix this issue?
No but try deleting your config or even setting up ScummVM from scratch.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Try calling 0800-supportmeievensaidthankyoufirstandhowamazing

Also nice fake smiles on your profile picture. Two of them. Even better.

Now to the answer.

If you cant get any game to run, you have a heck load of work in front of you. Because almost every game at least runs. So find one thats reported to run, and try to run it.

While you are doing that, you might want to look into the ScummVm Gamedatafile database ( http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles ) to see if you have all required files for a certain game on the device.

If you do - try the exact same "data folder" on a PC install of Scummvm - and see if it plays. If it does, you've found a bug in the Switch port. If it doesn't its user error.

Word of advice - in the end, I don't take anyone seriously - if they open a support request with "how amazing this is" when you cant get any game to run, but everyone else can. And to the moderator being flagged to this response shortly - the two people in the profile image are actually fake smiling. On the male, the microexpressions around the eyes are "blank" while the rest of the face is very animated, on the women the smile is forced.

Still no "professional support" for homebrew software. How sad. User participation required. We don't take it from "doesnt work, but amazing work". Maybe try anything first, that looks even remotely like A-B testing, or that you did any work on your own.

There is no reported " and if you didnt update to the latest iOS version, none of the games work" answer to give you, because there is none. Most games work. Some don't. On those crash to blackscreen on load is extremely uncommon, but possible (no one in here tested Phantasmagoria so far, afair) in an outlier case kind of way.

Also - the notion, that testing against a working PC build of scummvm is a good way to test compatibility issues was mentioned in here at least twice already. But its less enticing thatn meaningless flattery, and waiting for personal support - i get it.

Still might be necessary though, because ScummVM supports over 200 games already, and every single one of them would have to be set up and tested by someone with basic knowledge of ScummVM to test against your issue. Thats why starting with games, that are reported to run, is a great idea to pin down, where exactly you are currently failing.

Because the amount of people you are talking to in here that would be willing to install "your desired game" to test, what you did wrong, because "none of the games run", is 0-2 in here to begin with. Again, now contrast this to the 200+ games supported by ScummVM (most of them on entirely different engines).

Last edited by notimp,

Josh1979

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried it on the pc and it worked. I also tried it an initially had it working and now I cant get it to work anymore on the switch.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
ScummVM doesnt modify any of the original games files after running it, and the only additional file that gets populated with information about a game is the scummvm.ini, which apparently you have deleted already. Apart from that nothing should change in regards to "running the game" at least in the starting up phase.

So the next closest guess, if you've got it running once - but now cant, is file corruption... :/ (edit: Strike that, if the install works on a PC build.)

I could try running it as well, but it is a multi CD game, and I would have to remove other games from my sdcard, so I'm reluctantly taking a pass. Reluctantly, because I've behaved like an a-hole considering the outcome (you apparently did nothing wrong), so I feel regretful. I'm sorry.

Also - maybe there is an intermittent error with that game as well, where sometimes it loads, and sometimes it doesnt.
On other games, even small settings changes in ScummVM like "enabling subtitles" can change their likelyhood to crash on the Switch port (trying to access more files on the sdcard at once). Last stab in the dark, maybe thats a thing here as well.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Josh1979

Josh1979

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No worries man I am new to ScummVM on the switch and did not fully outline at first what I did and did not do. I did do alot to try to get this working again since I really wanted to play this game portable but It is weird that it booted and worked the first time when I had less experience with ScummVM and now all of a sudden It boots into a black screen and freezes. I am wondering if it is an issue with the video FMV based point and clicks? Also I tried that database of the Data files but even though it is listed as compatable with ScummVM it wasnt on the list of the data files required. Thanks for the help.

Josh1979

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I tracked down the particular file with the issue. It is the vkeybd_default.zip . When I remove it everything seems to work except saving but that's maybe another issue.

yondertoy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

On my 5.1.0 switch, i can't get running games because all the games directories are greyed and i can't select one :/

20180729_090409.jpg

I put another picture with the message i get.

20180729_090328.jpg

Please, did i miss smthg ?

Thank you so much for all your amazing works !

YDT

Josh1979

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

On my 5.1.0 switch, i can't get running games because all the games directories are greyed and i can't select one :/

View attachment 137509

I put another picture with the message i get.

View attachment 137510

Please, did i miss smthg ?

Thank you so much for all your amazing works !

YDT

make sure the games are unzipped. that happened to me.

Reactions: DollyWhipDoll

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That awkward moment where a single homebrew brings more excitement and quality games than the 1,5 year of the console's life releases did. Hooray! This is just epic!
Although I'm sticking to Snes9x (RetroNX) at the moment, this is not that false. I've had a great time enjoying Day of the Tentacle on my Switch no matter where I took it with me to.

Reactions: perropinton

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: yassssss i love emerald